SAU Community

Hr31 Coupe Rb26 (For Now)

DCIEVE

Jesus nick I can't believe your building another motor!

Nice, can't wait to see it out and about... Powercruise this year?

The rb26 came with the car so this is the first motor I've built for it(and hoping to keep it that way). Powercruise would be nice but I'm not sure it'l be done by then... starting the understand the meaning of time poor :(

nice mate! you are a brave man to buy fatz's old 31... lol. :) full credit to keeping it going and tidying the old beast up. I've been in it years ago when fatz first put the XR6 tubz on it with fatz laughing like a giant school girl beside me as he drifted the thing. not the safest feeling in the world!!

it's always been a cool car though and with the new full race set-up and the weds it looks shit hot.

Brings back memories of the test drive before I bought it lol.

• 3 months later...

Bit of an update. Still going backwards (stripping parts from the car) but getting closer to the point where I can start putting it back together.

Sound deadening is next up, then it's off to the fabricator.

interior_03.jpg

Std body wiring loom is weighty, looks like custom is the go.

bodyloomout_01.jpg

Picked up a flat wheel - great bit of gear

omp_steering_01.jpg

JE/Nitto pistons, Nitto rods

je_05.jpg

rods_02.jpg

External oil pump, sump with external pick-up / trap doors etc and drive mandrel for the ati balancer.

ext_pump_03.jpg

ext_pump_04.jpg

Dummied up (not my engine)

001.jpg

Some time before heading to the drags it was reversed into by a careless council worker so I took the opportunity to fit a uras kit and a wingless boot. Std 4 stud rear axles were fitted so it could be driven to the paint shop and a few weeks later into storage.

It looked pretty odd with std 4 stud wheels!

11072008.jpg

Revised catch can (routing blowby to the back of the car)

catchcan.jpg

OS quad plate, pita to fit with the motor in - would have been a lot easier to remove the motor & box together and work on it that way!

osgikenquad.jpg

Just my luck, the day I flew out the bloody axles arrived....

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

Roughly 1 month after leaving we returned to Perth for a friends wedding... the plan was to fit the axles, shoot the car for HPI, check the tune and get to the drags again.

Sean at ASG ran it up on his hub dyno, without the slipping clutch and wheelspin the 6boob related boost control issues were even worse, with boost creeping to 1.7bar.

done18.jpg

Unfortunately bad weather saw the drags cancelled, but at least the axles were fitted.

Axles fitted

done14.jpg

And the rear wheels back on.

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

done5.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

The weather meant we weren't able to get any good shots for the article besides a few in the garage..

HR26DET_mail2.jpg

It was then back into storage for the end of '08 and most of '09.

What Wheels Are they Mate and where did you pick em up from?

SSR Professor SP1 18x9 +16 & 18x10 +11 - C-Red in Perth imported them for me a few years ago. They've since been sold and will be going onto a friends dr30!

Vid doesn't work for me n1gtr?

Whats the part number for that moroso pump and bracket???

Cheers

Justin

No p/n on the pump or bracket, there is a hand engraved no. on the back but it's not a moroso #

• 5 weeks later...

Not really much in the way of interesting updates. I've stripped all the sound deadening, hopefully picked up a fresh head with some larger cams, springs, retainers (more on this when it arrives) and the new turbo finally arrived. Geoff at fullrace talked me into going larger than I had originally planned, together with inconel studs etc.

bw_88-75_01.jpg

bw_88-75_04.jpg

bw_88-75_02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Motivation...

turbotrial_01.jpg

turbotrial_07.jpg

Re-tapped the manifold M10 x 1.5 for the inconel studs, quite the pita with very shallow tapped holes. Getting just on three turns on the shallowest of them which is border-line ok.