SAU Community

Zoid's Gts Build

zoidbergmerc

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd make a new thread for my GTS Build instead of flooding the other one.

Here is the before shot

skyline1.jpg

One ugly, poorly maintained, unloved skyline. Set me back $3500.

It's a 1996 R33 Skyline GTS, that's been turboed; albeit poorly.

Previous mods included:

Stupid head unit that's totally unfathomable.

Apexi PowerFC with Commander.

Greddy electronic boost controller.

lots of B&M gauges mounted on the dash.

FMIC

Stock R33 turbo that didn't have the water lines connected to it.

17" Multi fit 5 spoke mags.

Inside the car it was all pretty good, a couple of cigarette burns but that was about it. Exterior was less than perfect, on the drivers side there was a deep scratch all the way along the door and the drivers side guard had some damage too, looked like someone backed into it. Paint needs a good cut and polish but should come up OK.

The car's engine was quite broken and had some noisy bearings so that had to come out first thing. Gearbox had also seen better days and a replacement is on the way.

Suspension\bushes\steering..... lets just not go there OK, it's quite broken.

As far as clapped out Skylines go I think I took the cake.

The original plan was to drift it the way I got it and see how I went from there, seeing as everything was broken and such activities would have been dangerous\insane I decided to bite the bullet and spend the big bucks up front to get something nice.

So now, the exciting bits...

the shopping list goes like this

Engine

Nissan N1 Oil & water Pumps

Nitto Crank collar to suit N1 oil pump

New Low temp Thermostat

Nitto 1.2mm head gasket

ACL Race bearings

Nitto Forged Pistons

Nitto forged H-beam rods

Machine Head & Block

Linish crank

Bore and Hone

Nismo 740cc injectors

Tomei Poncams

Management

Haltech Plug in Pro ECU

Turbo

Garret 3076R

Powertune high mount manifold

44m Tial Wastegate

Suspension

BC Adjustable Coilovers

Tune agent Adjustable Castor Rods

Whiteline blade adjustable Swaybars

Drivetrain

Stock RB25DET gearbox

Tomei Traxx 1.5way mechanical LSD

Roll cage

Built by AZ.

Brakes

Atm they're stock NA brakes.

Not sure what to get as yet

I've also changed the hubs to 5 stud ones.

We're aiming for about 300 plus KW

Nick and Ben over at GT garage are doing all the work for me and they're doing a wonderful job too! Couldn't be happier.

Here are some pics of the cage going in.

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

Plenty more to come :D

Edited by zoidbergmerc
  • Like 1

nice man.. as for brakes, try find some R34gtr brembos? or AP 6 pot fronts :P

gtr brembo's are so overpriced

you can get 34 gtt brakes for about $400 (310mm)

or the ksport ones from justjap are big for cheap (~350mm rotor and 8pot brakes, $2k)

but someone has started a group buy on willowood 6pot 332mm kit for $1.8k which would be pretty good (it uses 2 piece rotors so they are lighter)

I saw this the other day when in GT, cage looks the goods.

As for brakes I'd go std R34 GTT with fresh 'rebuilt' callipers (new seals etc) with braided lines, plain (or slotted, but never drilled) fresh rotor with Ferodo DS3000 pads and some decent fluid like Motul RBF 600.

Pretty much exactly what I'll do on my R34 (cept maybe with a more streetable pad)

Oh, and a line locker may come in handy :P

Good build, can’t wait till it’s done!

gtr brembo's are so overpriced

you can get 34 gtt brakes for about $400 (310mm)

or the ksport ones from justjap are big for cheap (~350mm rotor and 8pot brakes, $2k)

GT-T brakes are good, but aren't even close to GT-R Brembos. You get roughly what you pay for.

KSports are charlie chan china rubbish.

Can buy 330mm 240SX wilwood superlite kits out of the states for ~$1500 to your door.

Instead of GT-T brakes you could always just grab some stock GTS-T ones, dogbones and 330mm rotors.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost finished now. Dummy fitted the engine, turbo and plenum so Az could work his magic on the front, dump, screamer. and IC piping. Did a fantastic job too :D

High Mount Manifold made by Az Custom, should look the goods once it's painted! Can see the screamer in there too.

IMG_20110304_172446.jpg

Big ol Sexy front pipe.

IMG_20110304_172436.jpg

Plazmaman Plenum and Throttle body ready to go.

IMG_20110304_172418.jpg

Hey mate, looking good. Very interested in seeing the outcome :) Have you driven it much with the whiteline sway bars on? I'm looking at grabbing some of these myself but have been struggling to find any decent reviews for R33's. Also, what're you thinking of for front/rear strut brace?

Jay

I've driven this car from the Docks in Hobart to Moonah and that was it; the engine integrity was too low to continue. Strut braces were already on the car when I go it so I guess I'll keep them, not sure what brand they are.

I've got whiteline non-adjustable sways on my WRX and they totally transformed the car, the difference is day and night, knocked the understeer on the head and enabled me to get some nice turn in oversteer if I require it.

Once this car is going I'll be sure to tell you all about it :)

putting a bodykit on mate? painting it? wot wheels u thinking? looks like ur investing some decent dollars into it, how far away from completion is it? looking good! can't wait to hear the screamer ;)

I got a TypeM plastic front end for it the other day from another member on here. Looks nice with the rest of the standard kit. I might see if I can get some new front guards to replace the ones on it as the drivers side has some damage on it.

As for paint, white is OK for now, I'm trying to convince a mate of mine who is a very talented artist to airbrush it but he's rather nervous about it because he's not done a car before.

Wheels I've got a set of 17" Gmax Drifts in white for it, might make them black though. White wheels on a white car... not so sure. I've also got the 17" that came on it, they're a little on the cheap\heavy side though.

Yes it's a lot of money but it's also going to be a lot of fun :D Plus Nick at GT Garage is looking after me thumbsup.gif

Thought it would be best to do it now while I've got some money before other stuff like houses and children come up.