SAU Community

Turning Off Traction Control On R34

Shnid

Hey all :)

I own a 1998 Nissan Skyline R34 25GT with auto transmission, and whenever i tried to do wheel spin, it just can't get it up.

I have been told that traction control is on, so is there a way to turn it off? like there a switch i haven't seen? or yeah, someone please help me.

xx Ben

imag0083v.th.jpg

Should be a on/off switch by your left knee under the steering wheel. Pic is from my Manual 2000 GTT, im assuming the auto is no different.

yeah i have that switch, when i flick it, it comes up saying 'snow', is that the same as yours?

Do the non turbo models have traction control? (It's not like they need it :ninja:)

i hope they do :(

and yes they do need it, its so P platers can have some fun ;p haha

There might be a fuse box that can access and pull out the fuse for traction control..? Try losing traction at a wet parking lot by making slow doughnuts, I think a light should blink in the dash to indicate that the traction control is working/not working.

There might be a fuse box that can access and pull out the fuse for traction control..? Try losing traction at a wet parking lot by making slow doughnuts, I think a light should blink in the dash to indicate that the traction control is working/not working.

oh yeah i guess i could try pull out the fuse for traction control. i just thought there was a switch like other cars, may be wrong tho.

On R34s traction control is organized by modulating secondary throttle plate inside the throttle body. Look at your engine. Locate throttle body. There is no secondary plate actuator in there - none of N/A R34 have them from factory. Hence there is no traction control.

On R34s traction control is organized by modulating secondary throttle plate inside the throttle body. Look at your engine. Locate throttle body. There is no secondary plate actuator in there - none of N/A R34 have them from factory. Hence there is no traction control.

ohhh thanks, i'll give that a look and see what i can do. :)

Yep, thought NA R34's didn't have traction control, what on earth would they need it for? This thread is a perfect example for why they would never need it. The OP is TRYING to get wheel spin and can not achieve it.

Yep, thought NA R34's didn't have traction control, what on earth would they need it for? This thread is a perfect example for why they would never need it. The OP is TRYING to get wheel spin and can not achieve it.

well that sucks, i would have been nice if i could get wheel spin, maybe not then :P

Maybe you should try to induce some wheelspin using tallspeed of your auto box? press both pedals, it should rev up to ~2000 or 2500, then release brake pedal. If that does not help, then either you'll have to live with no wheelspin or put on some narrow tires or add ridiculous amount of camber to the back.

Note that stallstart heats up ATF pretty fast, so don't hold both pedals for a long time and don't repeat this exercise very often.

Added: according to factory manual, stall speed for RB25DE is 2350-2550 rpm. FSM does not recommend holding throttle pedal for longer than 5 seconds and also says to press throttle gradually. It also says to release throttle as soon as stall speed is reached, but you should release brake pedal instead and floor your throttle :P

Edited by Legionnaire

go to a parking lot

right/left hand down full lock

floor it and see if the orange T/C / SLIP blinks in the middle of the dash?

what you mean by 'right/left hand down full lock'

and what if T/C or SLIP comes up?

You won't see it, as R34 N/A's do not have traction control. At all, period. It just doesn't exist man.. I.E it is always off.

ohhh okay, thanks man :)

thats all i wanted to know

• 2 years later...

i have a 34 GT-4 (the non turbo 4 wheel drive model) and im wondering why i have a TC button on my dash if i dont have TC? i dont have the on off switch so im just guessing that they made the same cluster for all manual non turbo models but why would they take the turbo gage off and leave the TC on?? im confused

It's a heavy underpowered car and it is auto, what do you expect?

Hey! A manual 34, even if it's N/A is still kinda quick, wouldn't mind traction control, especially on wet days