SAU Community

Paul Diemar From Red R Racing In Hospital After Serious Accident.

Supa Steve

Today i found out through a friend that Paul was involved in a serious workshop accident and was admitted to John Hunter Hospital last night. He was treated in the intensive care ward overnight and appears to be recovering as he was tranfered to a general ward today. The chemical he was using contained hydrofluric acid which is extremely lethal has affected his hand, arm and shoulder as well as lung damage from inhaling the vapour. Hope all is well and he makes a complete recovery. All thoughts are with him and his family and if i recieve any updates ill post them here.

Serious acid that stuff is. One of the few acids that can disolve glass. They store it in glass containers that are lined with parifin wax. It eats plastics too.

Inhaling fumes from the stuff (basically flurine gas) is worse than but similar to chlorine, or pure carbon monoxide. It instantly combines with and neutralises your red blood cells so they cant carry oxygen. So your body loses the ability to process air and you suffocate while trying to breath frantically. Probably one of the most terrifying ways to die I can think of.

Hope you recover soon Paul. I want to hear all about this top secret engine project of yours that I keep hearing whispers about!

I used this stuff for years many times without gloves when I was working in the carwash industry... was never warned about the dangers was always assured it was perfectly safe to use.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

HF is NASTY SHIT,

It is used at my work in the manufacturing of solar cells, Minimum PPE for handling the shit is: Tychem suit with hood, full face respirator, Chemical resistant boots taped at ankle and 2 pairs of gloves taped up at the wrist.

Last year a guy in WA died after spilling 100mls of HF on his leg.

I would serously recomend staying away from HF at all costs.

Paul is a extremely lucky bloke, i just got off the phone to him he seems to be doing alright considering he still has to see doctors daily for blood tests and ect. It just shows you how important it is to read the msd sheets with the chemicals and wear the approate ppe