SAU Community

R34 Gtr Build

Here are some more pic of the manifold. Its coming along well just needs some final welds, 4 years of development its looking good.

post-49633-0-30863300-1300438449_thumb.jpg

post-49633-0-33852300-1300438524_thumb.jpg

post-49633-0-04207200-1300438570_thumb.jpg

Now the next stage making the dump pipe out of two flat sheet of stainless welded on its edge, and then blow it up using hydraulic fluid. Interesting way of making it to achieve the correct tamper coming out of the turbo housing and the correct dump angle, all in one piece of pipe.

post-49633-0-17839100-1300439003_thumb.jpg

post-49633-0-70342100-1300439142_thumb.jpg

It looks great, I hope that 4 years of development pays off with real gains rather than just taking 4 years to make a shiny manifold. Did you configure your pipe placement at the merge according to the firing order of the RB26 or did you just first 3 pipe before the divider and the back 3 after the divider?

The firing order for a RB26 is 153624, therefore the first 3 pipes are correct for one side of the divider hence the last 3 pipe are correct for other side of the divider. If you think the placement should be different please let me know.

Also I have not mentioned, the manifold collector is made from billet 321 stainless and all manifold pipes are 321 stainless.

Dam, Gandalf would want to be pretty dam sure of the quality of his welds! What pressure was used to inflate the pipe? I'd be terrified to stand near that when its inflated let along bang it with a hammer at the same time. Ive heard too many horror stories of hydraulic fluid at high pressure cutting through skin like a razor, or worse filling a cavity in your body with fluid.

The end result is very impressive though. Gandalf is definately a wizard.

Dam, Gandalf would want to be pretty dam sure of the quality of his welds! What pressure was used to inflate the pipe? I'd be terrified to stand near that when its inflated let along bang it with a hammer at the same time. Ive heard too many horror stories of hydraulic fluid at high pressure cutting through skin like a razor, or worse filling a cavity in your body with fluid.

The end result is very impressive though. Gandalf is definately a wizard.

His Name is JOHN SKOLA no man like him his the wizard brains behind many motorsport stories, however no one really knows him as he keeps to himself.

The pressure used was not alot i know i have had one blow up lucky i had it covered up. Once the pipe is finished ill post the final product, it is going to look amazing and at the same time delivery its purpose.

His Name is JOHN SKOLA no man like him his the wizard brains behind many motorsport stories, however no one really knows him as he keeps to himself.

I noticed John being a little camera shy in one of your earlier videos.

Its amazing watching guys like this work. Reminds me of an old bloke that used to work for an engineering firm that I work for. He trained the majority of the boilermakers in cairns about 20 years ago. He too is a boiler maker by trade, but also a metallurgist.

Guys like these have an understanding of metal that current generation boilermakers will never attain. When people say it cant be done, they design and build the tools to do it, and then prove everyone wrong without any display of ego. True craftsman.

I noticed John being a little camera shy in one of your earlier videos.

Its amazing watching guys like this work. Reminds me of an old bloke that used to work for an engineering firm that I work for. He trained the majority of the boilermakers in cairns about 20 years ago. He too is a boiler maker by trade, but also a metallurgist.

Guys like these have an understanding of metal that current generation boilermakers will never attain. When people say it cant be done, they design and build the tools to do it, and then prove everyone wrong without any display of ego. True craftsman.

I completely understand , I have known John for like 16 years now and all this time i never asked him to do work for me as i always got work done for others. John has said this is his last project involved with car's. I am the lucky guy to have something no one has ever done, however I am willing to share all the secrets as i dont see the point of hiding anything. So let everyone know what ever info people need i am more then happy to let them know in full detial to what i know and what i understand.

that merge collector is something else hey.. im seriously considering throwing my manifold in the bin now to make something like that haha..

awesome metal work.. he definitely isnt your average boiler maker.

that merge collector is something else hey.. im seriously considering throwing my manifold in the bin now to make something like that haha..

awesome metal work.. he definitely isnt your average boiler maker.

Well even if you copy 50% it will be better then anything on the market. if you need some more detailed pic do let me know.

Are those Porsche GT3 or cayenne turbo brakes? Ive been contemplating doing the same conversion to my R34 as well.

Porsche cayenne brakes have no place on a performance car. Having ordered a "kit" from someone that used cayenne calipers. When it arrived, I realized I had screwed up. Not even getting into the adapter, rotor, or brake line issues just the caliper alone was enough to scare me off. The thing probably weighed 15-20lbs each with pads installed and when I checked the part numbers you could buy them from porsche for 500$. No was this has the quiality of material or consruction for a high performance car.

Back on topic. How much would a manifold like this cost?

Porsche cayenne brakes have no place on a performance car. Having ordered a "kit" from someone that used cayenne calipers. When it arrived, I realized I had screwed up. Not even getting into the adapter, rotor, or brake line issues just the caliper alone was enough to scare me off. The thing probably weighed 15-20lbs each with pads installed and when I checked the part numbers you could buy them from porsche for 500$. No was this has the quiality of material or consruction for a high performance car.

Back on topic. How much would a manifold like this cost?

When i bought the brembo kit, it was not listed as cayenne brakes it was listed for r34 Gtr, I had no issues in installing the kit myself and im no mechanic so im not sure what kit you have bought. If you need some close up details of the caliper i can take some close up pics.

The manifold cost is over $10,000 just the material to construct cost me about $3500 as its all 321 stainless purchased from USA.