SAU Community

R34 Gtr Build

I guess you guys dont know the meaning of R&D development, have a read into true morotsport not your joe blow workshops, how much it costs when it comes to development work and the hours spent in perfecting a job. Find me one person out there that has made a manifold in this manner!!!! Not even the jap's come near it. I know i have alot on my shoulders in proving all this is going to work, i know it will as alot of calculation has gone into the build.

Soon ill have some more pics of the finished Dump pipe and the earls fitting for the surge tank and dry sump tank

• Like 1

I'm familiar with the costs of R&D, but am to embarised to say what ive spent on my engine projects! $10K .. :whistling:

Thumbs up for having the courage to have a go at pushing the limits a little further. In many peoples eyes its hard to justify costs and effort required to develop something new in case it doesnt work out. But I think the journey of the R&D process is seriously as much fun as the end result of getting to drive the car.

If you have the spare cash, the capabilities and backup engineering support to try something new, I highly recommend giving it a go. I can't express how satisfying it is to get behind the wheel and drive my car knowing that its being powered by an engine of my own design, which is probably unique in the world.

I guess you guys dont know the meaning of R&D development, have a read into true morotsport not your joe blow workshops, how much it costs when it comes to development work and the hours spent in perfecting a job. Find me one person out there that has made a manifold in this manner!!!! Not even the jap's come near it. I know i have alot on my shoulders in proving all this is going to work, i know it will as alot of calculation has gone into the build.

Soon ill have some more pics of the finished Dump pipe and the earls fitting for the surge tank and dry sump tank

"R&D development" = research and development development? haha

What we are trying to say that for a 10th of the price you could have got basically exactly the same result!

"R&D development" = research and development development? haha

What we are trying to say that for a 10th of the price you could have got basically exactly the same result!

Since you seem to have all the answers please tell me what manifold you think is worth using and what testing you have done?

I'm familiar with the costs of R&D, but am to embarised to say what ive spent on my engine projects! $10K .. :whistling:

Thumbs up for having the courage to have a go at pushing the limits a little further. In many peoples eyes its hard to justify costs and effort required to develop something new in case it doesnt work out. But I think the journey of the R&D process is seriously as much fun as the end result of getting to drive the car.

If you have the spare cash, the capabilities and backup engineering support to try something new, I highly recommend giving it a go. I can't express how satisfying it is to get behind the wheel and drive my car knowing that its being powered by an engine of my own design, which is probably unique in the world.

Yes R&D is expensive however by the time i started investigating and get it right would cost a mint, this is why i have John Skola as he has the answers for everything he is building.

I remember when i dropped off the N1 motor to his workshop and when he stripped it down and saw the cylinder head design and laughed, he said this is a very old head design going back to 1978. I was shocked when he said that. He did say it will need alot of work to make it work right and that was said 4 years ago.

Im amount 2 month away from finishing this build and cant wait to post the results.

• Like 1

Man I do not want to keep going on about all the $$$ but f**k you would want some out of this world results for the money spent.

In any case it is a good project, would be exciting to see results.

Good to see it coming along mate.

I was actually there when the crate N1 engine was being stripped a few years ago.

Having seen some of john's previous work and knowing what has gone into this engine I'm looking forward to seeing it up and running.

I know there has been countless factory components sacrificed to improve the end result, it may or may not pay off in the end but the workmanship is amazing either way!

He bags this engine saying it's so primative but the Japs have had no trouble getting excellent results from these engines.

Also still can't c this turbo working aswell as u think, it's just to big, but hey prove me wrong.

But if I was going to spend what you have I'd want to make sure it's the fastest/ best car seen in 10 years that blows everyone away other wise if your only making boost say 300-400 rpm earlier then some one else I'd c it as a total waste.

But as I said above prove me wrong

I really can't see there being $10K worth of advantage in that setup.

I dunno its just over complicated IMO.

I've always been one to stick with the basics and make things work from there instead of introducing more and more things that can fail.

I guess its just me thinking of whats going to happen in the future when the car is a couple years old.

I hope it works for you guys though, other wise its gonna be a massive waste of R&D time and dollars.

Since you seem to have all the answers please tell me what manifold you think is worth using and what testing you have done?

Well I would have picked either a 6boost or a Full Race personally...

Testing, well I have personally used a 6boost on 2 different cars and they both worked perfectly!

Can you tell me with your "testing" how this will perform any better than either of those brands?

I'm not knocking it, but I could pick a lot better ways to spend the extra money on a car to make it better than that... but hey, I'm happy to be proven wrong :)

Also forgot to add in my above post, if these results you speak of are so achievable then surely one of these massive jap companies with all there money would have worked this out by now therefore not making what you are trying to achieve new technology?

Well I would have picked either a 6boost or a Full Race personally...

Testing, well I have personally used a 6boost on 2 different cars and they both worked perfectly!

Can you tell me with your "testing" how this will perform any better than either of those brands?

I'm not knocking it, but I could pick a lot better ways to spend the extra money on a car to make it better than that... but hey, I'm happy to be proven wrong :)

Matter a fact i had shown john, Karls 6 boost manifold i told him the price he sells it for and he said thats the best manifold he has seen in a long time so the 6 boost was thumbs up full race john only got to see it on the net, his comment was runners where to big and i think he said number 1 and i think 3 runners were longer then the rest. I took so many manifolds to him hks, greddy he picked faults everywhere, so to top it off 6 boost was best of all, however john wanted to make his own and this is what he has made. I am not out to prove anyone wrong as everything works when you mod it but if you mod it correctly you will have something better. From this if it works we can all benefit from it.

I can detail all the motor spec's and all the little things that are done to the motor.

• Like 2

Also forgot to add in my above post, if these results you speak of are so achievable then surely one of these massive jap companies with all there money would have worked this out by now therefore not making what you are trying to achieve new technology?

Yes the japs did, they built the z-tune, now you can see im trying to build my own z-tune and the jap's did a great job with the Z-tune lets see what John can do for me.

Give this guy a break. He is just looking to do things different to everyone else. Look how things have changed over the years. People putting twin cam heads on RD28 diesel blocks, engines reving passed 10000rpm and all these 1000hp+ getting about. All it takes is someone to put there neck on the line to try something different...

Give this guy a break. He is just looking to do things different to everyone else. Look how things have changed over the years. People putting twin cam heads on RD28 diesel blocks, engines reving passed 10000rpm and all these 1000hp+ getting about. All it takes is someone to put there neck on the line to try something different...

Thank you for your comments

Matter a fact i had shown john, Karls 6 boost manifold i told him the price he sells it for and he said thats the best manifold he has seen in a long time so the 6 boost was thumbs up full race john only got to see it on the net, his comment was runners where to big and i think he said number 1 and i think 3 runners were longer then the rest. I took so many manifolds to him hks, greddy he picked faults everywhere, so to top it off 6 boost was best of all, however john wanted to make his own and this is what he has made. I am not out to prove anyone wrong as everything works when you mod it but if you mod it correctly you will have something better. From this if it works we can all benefit from it.

I can detail all the motor spec's and all the little things that are done to the motor.

Fair enough, but saying that if you look hard enough you can pick faults with any design....

Firstly how much does the manifold/collector weigh? I would put it to you any gain made by the manifold would be offset by it's weight compared to a more conventional item.

Another example is where your collector merges the gases for the gates have to escape at a 90 degree angle to the flow. This used to be a issue with early 6boost manifolds that at high rpm the gas takes the least path of resistance and just bypasses the gates altogether creating boost creep all the way through the rev range. To fix this now all 6boost manifolds have a gate provision on a angle to flow the same direction of the exhaust gases. I think yours should be alright though because you are using twin gates but it could cause issues!

My main beef with the collector is where the 3 gate ports merge together. You talk of this as "to achieve the perfect merge and at the same time extract equal quantity of waste gases without causing extensive disruption to the flow." But if you think about the directions of the gas flow two of the extraction paths have to flow around 2 x 90 degree bends and while the other just has to travel a straight path. What's worse to this and in my opinion a huge design flaw is where these 3 gas paths merge... 2 are opposing each (blowing at each other) while the third is trying to push through the middle. This will cause major disruption of flow to all 3 paths and also a uneven balance. If you want a example of a better design look at a standard rb25 low mount cast manifold. It also has two opposing gas flows but internally it has a divider to direct the gases in the same direction before the merge to not cause issues.

Hope that all makes sense :) Maybe you can ask John his opinion on this?!?

Edited by SimonR32