SAU Community

Vq35hr Conversion

hey all, i was wondering if anyone has done a m35 stagea sump on a vq30 or 35 4wd in a r32gtr? i was doing some head porting today on a vq30 head and man are they a much better design than the old rb!! the exhaust would evan rival the intake of a rb...

would be a pretty cool conversion, light weight vvt big power potential and 4wd. yes would use a bell housing adapter.. and custom front shaft.. would be a challenge but im sure its possible.

any ideas?

It would have great potential, VQ35 parts are very cheap in the US, you can build the internals to handle 800 to 1500hp fairly easily.

I would just get a stock VQ25det or the second option, VQ30det. Either "should" handle 400kw unopened as they run the same rods.

The 4wd sump off the VQ25 fits onto the VQ35, all the exhaust ports are the same so the VQ25det manifold fits on the 35, esentially they are all the same blocks just bored out more for the larger sleeves.

I was going to run a built VQ35 block with all the 25det parts on it. (so the ecu wont care.) I may not have to if the 25 handles the torque when the new GTX3071 goes in, on ethanol. My next goal is 350awkw on an unopened engine.

If you end up making a bellhousing adapter or similar myself and many others would buy one as the auto isn't strong enough for that sort of power, no mater what I do to it.

I am assuming there is not a manual nm35 available? Doing the conversion would be much easier if you had an awd gearbox to use off the bat.

Bellhousings on Nissans are not quite as fun as Toyota, I wouldn't want yo be making a custom one for it. An adaptor plate could work but the room for error just shits me... Along with the thought of having the input shaft not reaching the spiggot...

This thread makes me feel bored of my JZR33 already :P should have done something harder lol

Haha, the challenge is certainly there with mine. It is an easy conversion to manual if you want rear drive, just get a 350z 6 speed. If you want the awd, the only box suitable would be the 34 gtr getrag as the bellhousing detaches, cut and weld the VQ one on the front of it. (until someone makes an aftermarket one :whistling: ) It has been done in Aus already, an awd 350z is getting around with a stagea sump/diff and getrag.

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/148-australia/66268-awd-conversion.html

He mentions he has the cad drawings for all the parts and was thinking about manufacturing them...

finding a vq25 awd sump seems to be abit hard. they are still quite new. bellhousing adapter/cut and weld. or when i get my hollenger il just order it with a vq bellhousing( apparently been made)

so the vq engines blocks arnt differant like rb blocks?

I have a spare one but it's going under the 3.5 block once it is built. No point doing the build unless the 2.5 goes though, it's my backup plan.

You can possibly get the newer 3.5 awd setup for a similar price but you would have to change the rods for any decent power levels.

point me in the rite direction! i really dont want to buy a halfcut just for a diff... and finding a 3.5awd engine would be abit tricky?? ps. whats the go with single vct and twin vct? early and late? or is it just the 25 thats got twin?

No, the 2.5 has single Vct as does the early 3.5, from 05 i think, they changed to both intake and exhaust.

The g35x in the states has 3.5 awd as does the later m35's. A half cut or a stagea wreck is your best option. I picked up a 3.5 with thrust bearing knock for $500 off eBay.

well after much interweb searching on the differances between awd and rear vq 35's ive decided to go with the vq35hr. much better block and head design, also available in awd.. since the chances of finding a skyline 250gt-4 half cut is next to nothing.. i looked up the sump differances..

all can be had from infinity usa for $100 for the 4wd upper oil pan and $60 for the oil filter housing.. lol so cheap. oh and $1200 for the complete front diff assembly. as it is a bolt on unit not cast in like the rb..

fx35 bits

now ive just got to find a vq35hr engine..k now of and twin throttle wrecked 350z's anywhere?

ok. after more searching, the front diff is not the same. its a f160a not a F160 like in a rb. but is the same as the new gtr. just need to see if any companys do aftermarket infinity/gtr diff gears....

cool stevo. cheers.

Only thing I can fault on my VQ is the open deck block design. Can't keep head gaskets in 1 piece. Apart from that, they are an awesome motor.

Gonna give mine one last squeeze before I sell the car, hoping for 600ish HP.

Is the HR closed deck???

Just close it up. Easy fix while you had the heads off.

Your results are why im keen to push 350kw now. Out of interest, any idea how thick the head bolts are? I haven't removed mine yet... Have you considered upgrading them?

post-63525-0-41441400-1299675241_thumb.jpg

awesome idea dave. I love it. would be interesting to see the total cost of a VQ35 conversion vs a big $$ RB30/32/34 build up? plus for anyone who starts with a good condition RB26 they can sell that for an easy $4k+. then it's just a matter of engine, the AWD sump (with suitable diff). make new bellhousing for a getrag 6 speed, or run the 5 speed with a weld on, or run the hollinger like you said with the right bellhousing ordered from hollinger.

800hp VQ35 in a 32 GTR with a hollinger would be a piece of gear!!

now make it happen!

• 1 month later...