SAU Community

Vq35hr Conversion

coming together. hard to find the time. studs tensioned to 120lf/lbs all ok :) no bore distortion either :)

big ass intake ports, (the main thing that sold me on the vq platform)

had to "shorten" the oil squirter banjo bolts about 1mm rods came a little to close for comfort, also "king racing" main bearings are sized for a flogged out bottom size crank journal... had 1 thou main clearance with the "standard" size... so another 220 dollars later for the standard-extra size.. 2.5 ish on the mains, 2 on the big ends.

modified the oil passages behind the timing cover plates for better oil flow. was really shit from factory.. 

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0627.JPG

DSC_0628.JPG

DSC_0629.JPG

DSC_0626.JPG

• Like 4

pretty well mostly done. also weird cam timing to suit r35 vr38 cams. (same basic engine with same pitch chain, just a taller block and hence different dowel locations for the cams. ) but uses the same cam gears

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

long time between posts. but this thing just doesnt want to go back together cleanly..

hears what happened.:

got it in and running. promply snapped a camshaft..

fixed that, then it kept loosing water. coolant top pipe "o" ring split..

fixed that, dyno.. again mystery water strains.. and was pinging bad over 15psi..

fixed, fuel pressure issue. raped it. stuck at 900 atw on 98... checked the logs, clutch f**ked. so it just drives through a twin 230mm carbon clutch like its nothing.. on the street 15psi felt like 20 on the old motor.so we are making some torque..

just left it like that... got it all ready to go for the sau cruise today. made it to the maccas, but when filling up i came out to a river of coolant under the front of the car... flamin mongreling radiator leaking from 6 tube joints.. (probs got hurt when the head gasket blew from before...)

the big fan just works to well. it manages to keep it cool even though its missing 3L of water..then it doesnt because there no water to cool anymore..

limped it back to wetheril park. (never went over 90) so there we have it. kunt thing just keeps throwing curve balls at me..

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

clutch is my fault. didnt leave enough clearance for the release bearing to come back, so its riding on it..

if your not breaking them, your not trying hard enough.. :P alloy rod oil pressure is weird. really low at idle, but really high once the revs are up. (20@idle-110@4k+) i did shim up the nismo pump. and old engine had really loose oil clearances.

• 4 months later...

stuff it... its looking like i should sleeved it from the get go..  12yrs later and ive come full circle,,

pistons all have cracked skirts, little ends of the pistons are flogged out from the piston being distorted and banged arround in the wobbly bore.. and the liners are out of round 6 thou up the top..

this is the solution...image.png.cf891c1a54c7d2a96bc00cf021ef40eb.png

IMG_20190221_194946.thumb.jpg.373ccddbb1253726af6c427efa6dce43.jpgIMG_20190221_194734.thumb.jpg.e32f9106a53a3b2cde28f86008bcc93d.jpgIMG_20190221_183643.thumb.jpg.8985bc4a7c4e5d0f4cb3ff7234f5df1b.jpgIMG_20190221_182805.thumb.jpg.9af2c990d335a9df4671a272fcea553d.jpgIMG_20190221_185842.thumb.jpg.5513392a5c338e9b1fd43c26ba29a43e.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...