SAU Community

Vq35hr Conversion

more progress.

its getting abit tight on the rh side with the intercooler and pump and the oil filter block

DSC_0326.JPG

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4b1e78680f916b86

DSC_0327.JPG

intercooler water pipes are 1 1/4". just dummied up for now so i could see where i could fit the pump. (ewp130)

the engine bay is almost complete except wiring and cooler pipes

DSC_0332.JPG

DSC_0333.JPGi used 2 w201 merc radiator welded together for the interooler heat exchanger. the are perhaps a little two tall. but still fit. i got a great deal on them. must of smudged the camera lens..

DSC_0334.JPG

Modena engineering sequential oil filter all plumbedDSC_0329.JPG

Ford cobra svt 8.8 irs conversion in the rear with a 31 spline wavetrac lsd using 2 stock axles 4" 316L exhaust. waiting on the muffler. 110liter fuel tank with 2 walbro 400's in a separate pot in the tank.

DSC_0331.JPGstill have lots of wiring to do. but shouldnt be to much longer as ive done most of the mechanical stuff.

DSC_0328.JPG

• Like 3

more progress.

its getting abit tight on the rh side with the intercooler and pump and the oil filter block

DSC_0326.JPG

DSC_0327.JPG

intercooler water pipes are 1 1/4". just dummied up for now so i could see where i could fit the pump. (ewp130)

the engine bay is almost complete except wiring and cooler pipes

DSC_0332.JPG

DSC_0333.JPG

i used 2 w201 merc radiator welded together for the interooler heat exchanger. the are perhaps a little two tall. but still fit. i got a great deal on them. must of smudged the camera lens..

DSC_0334.JPG

Modena engineering sequential oil filter all plumbed

DSC_0329.JPG

Ford cobra svt 8.8 irs conversion in the rear with a 31 spline wavetrac lsd using 2 stock axles 4" 316L exhaust. waiting on the muffler. 110liter fuel tank with 2 walbro 400's in a separate pot in the tank.

DSC_0331.JPG

still have lots of wiring to do. but shouldnt be to much longer as ive done most of the mechanical stuff.

DSC_0328.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

getting pretty close now. just wiring and some more fab on the intercoolers.

i read the wiring diagram wrong, and wired all the crank and cam sensors up backwards. killed all of them, so at $115 each i needed a better solution. so i picked the popular cherry gear tooth hall sensors, and turns out that a standard a/c pipe pad mount has the same dimensions as the sensors. :)

DSC_0373.thumb.JPG.617aa9f5ea8c77c2dfbf9cba33e37fde.JPGDSC_0372.JPG.5a716e1c0297833a2a906839977ff59f.JPG

the engine a gearbox ready for the 100th and final fit.engine.thumb.jpg.7d103ab14704767d5e7777cce9a64013.jpgengine1.thumb.jpg.5ddbff99560fa2142cdf0db0d4af1c42.jpg

• Like 11

made an auxiliary air tank for the paddle shift out of an old extinguisher. since the compressor and tank is in the boot. i didn't want any losses in the air pipes. has a short run of 3/8 tubing to the valve bock.

also an under body photo showing how cramped it is!

underbody.jpg

airtank.jpg

• Like 3

Full credit where it's due.  This thing looks great, and the effort to package all those bits and pieces is immense.  Pics show a lot of detail work you've undertaken.

The Modena box is the part that's most impressive!!

i have to stop saying "getting pretty close" thanks mate. yeah not alot of people know about them. mainly Porsche stuff. it would help if they had updated there website from 2005....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

well... it starts!! :) some wierd settings in a sub menu were stopping the engine from starting. video up soon. big thanks to Ryan from SYVECS. what took me over a week to work out he did in about 10 seconds over team viewer. (from Dubai)

even on methanol it seems pretty good.  now ive got to button up the body loom and put the interior and dash in it. yays

• Like 7

just filled up the coolant and power steering, so far so good :)

i didnt leave much room for air filters, but they are in and fit up ok, going to drain the methanol, and fill up with avgas now.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

sorry for the lack of updates. had some small issues.

gearbox linkage had to be redone after i got the paddle shift working. had to send the ecu back to the uk to fix the 5v output that i blew by reverse polarity (dt 12way connectors can go both ways... :( send battery power to 5v outs and into the can1 output

also the superfan worked to well. it was cooling the water so much it was closing the thermostat, the then overheating. so i put on a "coolant in" temp sensor. and the fan is controlled via a custom 3d table via pwm.  works really well now. and coolant stays within 2 degc idling or on the 2 step :)

running e85 now. 

things left to do. :

a/c hoses

brake fluid reservoirs

inner guard liners

cal switches

get a new efr boost solinoid (snapped the leg off one...)

some kind of gear boot(not stopping it from driving)

sort out some small issues with the dash (plex sdm700) more like i need to learn more about can communications.. (im kind of proficient with it now, but still not up to speed 100%)

put the seats and console back in.

get 2 ntk l2h2 lambda sensors that are the same.. (left bank runs abit richer showing the same lambda) egt tells the story

so not heaps, just little bits and pieces.

ps, what color should i powder-coat the inlet manifolds?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

seem to be stuck with a vct rattle.

ordered new Teflon vct seals and solenoids.  the intake cams rattle at 3000rpm ish with no power to vct solenoids. put some advance in it and it gets louder... farken..

pulled timing cover off to see if i have a blown oil gallery gasket, all ok. o rings ok. has new vct gears.

has poncams and jwt springs so i cant see that as being to much for the gears.. timing chains are all mint. (engine had low k's on it when i bought it)

seems to have a oil pressure issue to the gears. nowhere to measure the pressure applied either.. but the cam angle is achieved almost instantly, so the gears work and oil pressure is there.

cant see it being the gears, as they are the latest spec and have 0 km on them.  il have to wait till the parts come in to see if that fixes it.

going to tune it up anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just took it for a lap around the block with a r35gtr 1000cc injector basemap

700kpa boost in 3rd bakes them.. perhaps the tyres have gone hard comes on boost pretty early. 3k ish

things to fix.

front wheel speed (for traction control)

need to adjust the pedal to throttle ratio to make it smoother

needs more tuning for the paddle shift

needs some sound deadner for the tunnel. (gearbox is pretty loud)

gas up a/c

dyno tune

need to learn how to drive again....

wait for a firmware patch to fix the farkn dash. (display freezes up if rpm is connected to it.....)

• Like 6

did a quick tune at gate pressure. (10psi) 520hp. not bad. need to remove the thermostat as the dyno fan on the radiator shuts it..

i havent played with the cams yet. so looking promising.

22386190_1667213506643145_1867372086_n.jpg

• Like 8