SAU Community

Vq35hr Conversion

Just to clarify, personally i'm excited by those HR engines which feature VVEL (From what I remember VQ37hr and newer), VVL is cool but no where near as exciting (or new :)).

Have been thinking about the valvetronic system today, so that only controls valve lift, not timing right? So there'd be more advantage to come by mixing the two systems? The lift will allow the extra fuel to enter the cylinder, but if the valve is also opened earlier more fuel can enter, is this correct?

Should stop hijacking a very interesting thread now (carry on sir with the best gt-r build i've seen in ages :D). Anyway yes, VVEL does everything VVT and VVL did except it can control lift all the way to zero. With a VVEL setup you don't need cold start or a throttle body :).

straight from wiki:

"Nissan VVEL was first introduced to the US market in late-2007 on the 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe sporting the new "VVEL" VQ37VHR Nissan VQ Engine (VQ37VHR motor specs: 11.0:1 CR, 95.5mm bore, 86mm stroke, 7500rpm redline). VVEL variable valve timing is now also used in the smaller VQ25VHR engine seen in the Infiniti G25 and the VK50VE V8 engine from the Infiniti FX50.

A rocker arm and two types of links open the intake-valves by transferring the rotational movement of a drive shaft with an eccentric cam to the output cam. The movement of the output cam is varied by rotating the control shaft with a DC stepper motor and changing the fulcrums of the links. This makes the continuous adjustment of the amount of the valve's lift (e.g., the amount of intake opening), during the intake valve event in the four-stroke cycle, possible. C-VTC and VVEL together control the valve phases and its valve events, allowing free-control of the valve timing and lift. This results in more efficient airflow to the cylinder, significantly improved responsiveness, optimizing the balance between power and environmental performance."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's an entire 370z half cut here in Brisbane for $7500, surely it'd have all the things you'd need!

The ecu would be of the same era as the r35 wouldn't it? That'd mean a COB access port would probably work should you want to mess around with things :)

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/modules/stock/index.php?StockID=5047

finally got my engine! its abit grubby from the iced roads... but 11k miles on it.

post-19586-0-19515200-1307097923_thumb.jpg

post-19586-0-92489900-1307098037_thumb.jpg

post-19586-0-81250400-1307098173_thumb.jpg

post-19586-0-90770900-1307098232_thumb.jpg

ive measured it up. front shafts: same

distance/width of front diff axles ~500mm : same

splines in diff/ bolt pattern of p/s driveshaft union: same

distance between both engine mounts 700mm (will just fit inbetween rails.)

for diff to sit in same spot the engine will have to sit 60mm forward... (have to dummy fit it to see exacly)

cosworth pistons and carillo pro sa rods turn up in about a week.

need to sort out a r34 getrag for it...

well the x member engine mountings are usless. i will have to make custom brackets directly off the chassis rails. wich should free up some room in regards to the diff and x member clearance.

from what i can see, the x members job now only will support the rack and lower arm mounts. these can be simplified alot since the engine will not be sitting on the x member.

ps. got for sale now my built rb26,stock low k late r32 rb26, another rb26 head complete, late rb30 bottom end,autronic smc with cdi and loom for rb26, apexi 280 11.5 cams, buckets supertech dual spring and ti retainer kit and a whole heap of other rb26 related stuffs..

gonna need some room to do this. and to top it off im moving house.... lol.

love it dave. don't worry i'll have a cheap getrag for you. or if you flog all your old gear buy a bloody hollinger!

shame the bloody engine's ally bits are all bloody coroded. fken yanks. it would look so pretty otherwise.

still it looks clean inside which is what counts. :)

gots some more presents in the mail :)

post-19586-0-20103600-1307435455_thumb.jpgpost-19586-0-97411200-1307435529_thumb.jpgpost-19586-0-75109300-1307435597_thumb.jpgpost-19586-0-58183300-1307435669_thumb.jpgpost-19586-0-90566700-1307435727_thumb.jpg

on another note.

front diff ratio is 3.3:1 FAIL

front passenger drive shaft inner cv cup FAIL

SO for now, it will be rwd. just need to get it in the car and all running. with my big turbo. (s400sx4 72mm) i wont have time to bugger around with gearbox adapters and custom flywheels ect etc for now. + the bank balance will not let me at this stage.

to make the 4wd work i need to frankenstien a infinty front drive shaft and a r34 getrag welded to a vq35hr auto bell housing. also purchase a suitable crownwheel and pinion for the f160A front diff. and the matching rear. not a major job but for the time being i will get it installed and wired up and have some fun. besides all this has to happen in my garage lol.

oh and try and find some 60mm throttle bodies that arnt fly by wire. unless a vipec can run a vq35hr with the electromagnetic exhaust evtc cam control.

yes. if i do end up selling all my stuff i will have enough for a hollinger. the clutch i get i will make sure it can have the center hub for the chev spline like my current R3C giken

bell housing would be the easy part, and cheap. Budget around 500-600 (cheaper if you have access to a large mill and do it yourself) for something mint.. much like the hollinger to gtr housings, ive done a few custom ones like evo 6 to rwd etc and generally they cost me 200-300 trade.. and rated to same horsepower as the std cast items.

EDIT: Seen your latest post so ignore my post, i see you have the engine and gear already sorted. :P

impossible to put the GTR sump on. very different engine shapes from V6 to I6. far easier to do his solution and fiddle with the shafts and just change to a suitable ratio.

nice bits mate, can't go wrong with a set of carrilo rods and what look like cosworth pistons? I'm glad you are better with spanners than you are with a camera cause your pics suck!

this thing is still going to be mental with big V6 and a nice turbo. :)

impossible to put the GTR sump on. very different engine shapes from V6 to I6. far easier to do his solution and fiddle with the shafts and just change to a suitable ratio.

nice bits mate, can't go wrong with a set of carrilo rods and what look like cosworth pistons? I'm glad you are better with spanners than you are with a camera cause your pics suck!

this thing is still going to be mental with big V6 and a nice turbo. :)

how about using the stagea complete subframe? ive fitted the R32 one to a silvia but ive never seen the later VQ subframe... too wide possibly?