SAU Community

R34 Head Unit

Grey

Hey everyone!

Just bought my R34 and drove away with it, when I got home I started playing around with the headunit, now I'm not sure if the headunit comprises of the radio, TV, CD player etc, but these things aren't working (I didn't realize before I bought the car). The radio has a narrow frequency up to 90khz on FM. I've read the stick to install that thing that increases the range, how hard will it be to install? OR should I just get a new headunit as in replace everything with a new aussie radio, a new working CD player and a new screen? To be honest I don't know if there's a screen, because I pressed TV open button, nothing opens, so maybe theres no screen?

In addition, I put my CD into the cd player, it slowly sucked it in, no music, just a bit of loading sound and nothing happened. I pressed eject, nothing came out, so the CD-player pretty much ate my CD up. How would I fix these ANNOYING problems, I mean, I know nothing about cars, I've built computers etc. but how hard would installing a new headunit including the radio and CD-player be?

Really desperate for some advice / help....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just get a new Deck. All the skylines i have had in the past had shitty Headunits. they never played any cds.

U can get a nice new headunit for a good price these days, and buy a harness(cheap) to connect the Aftermarket headunit cables to the factory headunit cables. Done. very very easy.

so yu have a GTV. that had the navi option and they don't work. I have a drop in screen and all the hardware to sort it but it comes at a 4 figure cost.

pop a pic of you dash up so I can tell if we are talking about the same thing.

So this is the picture, it's not a GTV, it's an R34 1999 coupe non turbo, the bits circled don't work. The radio has a narrow frequency range, the HUDU doesn't come out despite pressing open on the bit below it, and the cd player bit ate my cd up, whirred a bit and the cd didn't come out even when i pressed eject.

post-82259-0-93181400-1300192336_thumb.jpg

chassis number please :)

R34 GTV had that option.

I can sort the lot out - it will be a full strip and refit. I have a customer with the SAME car that I have a pile of gear sitting at shop the for.

so:

new screen

radio (plays DVDs)

AC controls/ radio panel

NAVI unit.

that will get it doing what it was meant to do. only thing I DID NOT do with his was TV and a reverse camera.

thats almost on the wrong side of $2k for the bits I listed.

and yes I can refer you to a shop in MLB that CAN do the lot.

Probably best to put your needs/wants down in one column. (ie blue tooth, dvd, navigation, ipod connect, fm)

And your budget $$ in the other column.

See if they meet in the middle.

2000 dollars? Err thanks but no thanks lol thats way over my price limit, might just get some generic headunit installed for a couple of hundred, thanks!

fiar enough :)

that was how I took the oringinal post. you wanted it all to work. thing being that you will not get a new radio in there neatly without changing a few things. the AC controls will be one of them.

How would that help, lesseragitant? He still needs to buy all the parts to convert it - a duoble-din fascia, mounting bracket , climate control unit, etc. It's not as simple as just buying a new headunit.

If he wants to make use of the pop-up screen, etc - then more money again. This is what Chris was getting at.

All I can say is 'good luck'.

Does your friend realise there's no mount for a regular DIN-sized CD player? It would be quite straight forward to do a hack job - I've seen people use foam to fill in the gaps and other nonsense - but it's a nice car - why would you do ruin it like that?

Here's a link to another thread where this has been discussed (foam used to fill gaps):

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/321782-r34-head-unit-gaps/

Another thread on the topic:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/295128-r34-head-unit-head-unit-size/

Another on sourcing the parts:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/357617-r34-gt-v-head-unit-surrounding/

Anyway - this topic has been discussed to death - it's obviously a fairly common problem for people who want to retrofit a regular headunit into a vehicle that came with the navigation/pop-up screen option.

The parts themselves pop up quite regularly in the 'sale' section, or you can pick them up from a wrecker. It's not particularly cheap, but will let you fit single & double-din headunit in with minimal fuss - I'd highly recommend taking this path than what your friend is (I suspect) contemplating.

nah he's going to cheap out of it by the look of things. -boz- (username) actually took the time to do it properly. he has the EXACT same setup as you do and his works properly now.

as for the $200 job - good luck :)

i have a completely different head unit. doesnt pop out of the top but the middle. will upload photos soon.

am looking for something similar as the indash navi doesnt work. had a chat with boz and he suggested the same thing. (2000 bux + labour + new head unit + gps balck box etc)

the setup of mine is a bit diff so i might be able to get out of it a bit better of. My cd player lies behind the actual screen and i think it can be pulled out as a unit like the new pioneer ones iwth the 7" LCD's.

will post more info with more photos. any ideas pls feel free to suggest.

here's something to start with. more specific photos tomorrow

nah yours can swap out for something local quite easily.

grey,

you STILL do not get it. you cannot do an external screen in yours.. swap all the panel work out like the one above and you have a chance.