SAU Community

R34 Head Unit

Grey

fair enough.. so i want to change the headunit but my r34 is different to most.. what do i need to do just to change the head unit, most likely chuck out the stock tv thing and would you recommend anyone in melb ?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fair enough.. so i want to change the headunit but my r34 is different to most.. what do i need to do just to change the head unit, most likely chuck out the stock tv thing and would you recommend anyone in melb ?

well this is what i did to mine, i just removed the headunit (radio bit but can be any bit of it u want) then unplug the back cables (takes some skill u gotta find this button and pull hard, you might break a finger nail in the process) find a headunit you like either online or at your local car audio shop (i got mine from autobarn which was a bit pricey but i dont care) rewire and solder everything according to the nissan wiring diagram and put it back in (either get custom made panels to fill the sides or just use foam and paint it black).

well this is what i did to mine, i just removed the headunit (radio bit but can be any bit of it u want) then unplug the back cables (takes some skill u gotta find this button and pull hard, you might break a finger nail in the process) find a headunit you like either online or at your local car audio shop (i got mine from autobarn which was a bit pricey but i dont care) rewire and solder everything according to the nissan wiring diagram and put it back in (either get custom made panels to fill the sides or just use foam and paint it black).

Or just go down to autobarn/repco - get an R34 -> ISO plug, and then get the appropriate ISO plug for your headunit and not worry about soldering at all.

(If you're really bored, you could just take the R34->ISO plug and at least use that to adapt to the headunit wiring, so you're not cutting factory wiring)

With regards to using custom made panels or foam - do it properly. Get the right air conditioner panel, the right nissan-provided panels. They're really not that expensive, and you get a proper finish. You have a Nissan Skyline R34 not a $500 sigma wagon with 450,000km on it.

LOL they said to me that they had non in stock and had to order it so I just soldered it myself, maybe i should have just waited....hmmm..seeing as my right front speaker isnt working

I took the second option with mine originally - but I've been doing stereos for over 10 years. R34->ISO plug, chopped the ISO off, solder and heatshink onto the headunit loom. No cutting of factory wiring, and no dramas.

Since then and moving to a carpc setup, I've modified it so that the speakers go off into their own plug, and that plug hooks to the speaker output wires back in the custom amp shelf in the boot... I like things being nice and tidy. Ideally for better signal I would run my own speaker wiring, but eh .. lazy.

Or just go down to autobarn/repco - get an R34 -> ISO plug, and then get the appropriate ISO plug for your headunit and not worry about soldering at all.

(If you're really bored, you could just take the R34->ISO plug and at least use that to adapt to the headunit wiring, so you're not cutting factory wiring)

With regards to using custom made panels or foam - do it properly. Get the right air conditioner panel, the right nissan-provided panels. They're really not that expensive, and you get a proper finish. You have a Nissan Skyline R34 not a $500 sigma wagon with 450,000km on it.

exactly. what you have now done it make a giant mess of things. the byproduct of course is that something doesn't work.

JRM,

I have a strip/refit to do on thursday. once done the system will play DVDs, have a working sat nav that talks via the drivers dooe and a reverse camera. customer did not opt for digital TV.

Nice work, Chris :)

You always seem to do fantastic work. There was another thread I saw before on a similar setup and I thought 'I could comment - but I'll leave it to Chris' - you tend to have the right advice :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup, it's definitely possible, many people have that conversion.

Turbo or NA, both works, it's just that if you put it into an NA, it will only show throttle, rev light, oil temp, injectors, voltage.

But a MFD (multi function display) is costly, can cost anywhere between $600-$1000. I just sold one without looms for $600.

Here's a pic of my R34 GTT interior.

photorc.jpg

Awesome mate,all your interior panels.Is that real carbon fibre ? How much did it cost you to get and install that MFD ?

Also where did you buy your steering wheel,I've been searching one for ages and most of them comes without an airbag which is illegal ?

Thanks

Edited by Jeremy1607

that is DI Noc from 3m not real carbon fibre. I can get some below retail and might be setting up a group buy of it soon.

there is a few other options real carbon

or hydroprinting carbon I can supply photos of all the above.

and 3M has new products in the line up as well.for 2011

GREY,

this is what it SHOULD look like.

228656_10150289012959942_187393709941_9717341_3104563_n.jpg

227948_10150289013309942_187393709941_9717354_8351931_n.jpg

228666_10150289013249942_187393709941_9717350_1376765_n.jpg

228203_10150289013049942_187393709941_9717345_4520846_n.jpg

----------

understand??

chris that looks amazing, i've already finished mine, but unfortunately i did a rough job on it, how did you get those custom panels at the two sides? as it is a non turbo i'm not going to pour money into it

The custom panels aren't actually custom. They are the factory standard double DIN facia and sleeves from a non-turbo 34 that didn't have the navi option.

Also, Chris did a bang up job with this instalation, I should know as that's my car :)

boz,

ta!

I have a S15 to do the EXACT same thing to next week. he WANTS the popup screen in the dash area with navi and TV and a camera. I'll take a few piccies of that one when I do it.

• 2 months later...