SAU Community

Multipurpose Cut Off Saw (Tct Blade)

mr 32

anyone used these new style multipurpose cut off saws?

been looking at the dewalt one and looks good

just want to know how well they go with cutting true

DW872_Detail.jpg

Isnt it just the blade design that differentiates these from purpose built drop saws?

whats the price compared to brobo's or even the 2nd hand ones that pop up on grays etc?

Isnt it just the blade design that differentiates these from purpose built drop saws?

whats the price compared to brobo's or even the 2nd hand ones that pop up on grays etc?

nah its not the same

its classed as a cold saw and doesnt use coolant

im told its almost sparkless and the cuts will only just get warm

they run at about half the speed of a friction saw

price wise they are about 3-4 price of a friction saw

I picked up a brobo for $500, they pop up s/h occasionally. Much better than a carbide saw and cheaper as the blades only cost $20 to sharpen.

I would like to see what one of these cuts stainless pipe like though, could be perfect for alloy too.

Buy a brobo or if you can find one even a 2nd hand cold cutting saw from hare and Forbes.

I have a few brobo saws now and a dewalt type drop saw. The brobo gets used daily the drop saw sits under the bench.

A well sharpened blade will take on stainless fine when using soluable cutting oil.

They don't like hardened materials like an abrasive grinding disc does though.

I may part with my 10inch brobo for decent money. I have

a 12 and 15 inch machine as well which does most of the work.

For a square and repeatable cut you need decent clamping which those portable drop saws just don't have

And like someone mentioned the high speed steel blades can be sharpened cheaply or yourself if you have patience.

I do my own sharpening now, I have a few blades of each size and in spare time sharpen the blunt ones ready to be used when needed.

Over time the cost of abrasive friction discs or carbide blades adds up and the brobo pays for itself

The brobo cuts stainless well, but it still bites occasionally, and it can spin in the vice due to the fact it is polished. For large pipe, 3.5 inch and over you should probably have something solid inside the pipe where its clamped.