SAU Community

34Geeteetee Daily / Track Project

If it was an E85 only tune i reckon it may have been a bad day! Assuming it run.... Being setup full flex made it so the car could run but it could have been E10 fuel, or 100 octane stuff, i have no idea.... I just got a call from United and they will have the answers on Wednesday, i must admit they have been pretty good to deal with in general, very pro-active which is a pleasant change for most large companies!

Good to hear they're working on it. I'd be stranded if that happened to me, no flex setup :) I put my faith in Caltex and hope for the best lol

Good to hear they're working on it. I'd be stranded if that happened to me, no flex setup :) I put my faith in Caltex and hope for the best lol

Caltex has been good for me so far, the United hiccup is not a representation of their fuel or product but i think more basic operator error when setting up the new pump! It is literally brand new and the counter had pumped <500L of fuel....

I used the Cessnock United E85 and its good gear... Ill get a call on Wednesday with updates and see what the solution is for me! Once they sort whatever it is i will have no hesitation getting ethanol there again due to the way the guys have handled the situation! Pretty professional so far!

So i got a text from United to say the Pump is now out of service until the engineers work out the issue! That is something positive i guess!

Right, now i need to replace my Thermostat as it is being an ass! It is sticking open and running cold occasionally...

So i have options but i think the stock one seems to be the go?

Choices -

Genuine Nissan - Seems to be a smart choice at this stage.

Tridon Highflow - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111036673721?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Nismo low temp - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISMO-LOW-TEMP-THERMOSTAT-SKYLINE-R31-R32-R33-R34-RB20DE-T-RB25DE-T-21200-RS580-/281139068227?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417531bd43

Sard low temp - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SARD-COOLING-THERMO-65c-Nissan-skyline-r32-r33-r34-gtst-rb20det-rb25det-19406-/180936186692?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a20a31b44

Mishimoto low temp - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mishimoto-Racing-Thermostat-Skyline-R32-R33-R34-GTR-RB20-RB25-RB30-/300625425123?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45feabf2e3

There was another brand i found like the Nismo but cant recall what it was, it was bloody expensive though!

I figured while i am replacing an incorrect fan belt at the same time SHOULD i try out the GKTECH high flow fan and adapter? Meant to pull 40% more air and given i dont have the A/C fan fitted anymore due to the size of the cooler maybe its a good idea? I am just trying to prepare for the hotter months ahead and might as well do it now.... Anyone using them? Or got opinions on Pros v Cons?

Link -

http://www.gktech.com/index.php/sr-to-rb-clutch-fan-adapter.html

http://www.gktech.com/index.php/s13-s14-s15-replacement-engine-fan-60-more-air-flow.html

So that is my next task to do while the suspension is out for a week or so, just gotta make the call on what to do!

Also trying to work out what to do about rims for the front in 9.5 so i can run a 265 wide tyre, most seem to stretch onto 9.5's which i have no interest in!

I've read that the low temp thermostats are no good and just to stick with the normal Nissan one because the low temp one causes your fuel to not atomise correctly and runs more inefficiently. E85 keeps an engine cooler anyway so I would want your engine running too cool. Have you been having overheating issues?

I'll chime in, stock OEM thermostat, no need to run lower temp..

Yep, been hearing that a lot! Just wanted to make sure i get the right thing...

I've read that the low temp thermostats are no good and just to stick with the normal Nissan one because the low temp one causes your fuel to not atomise correctly and runs more inefficiently. E85 keeps an engine cooler anyway so I would want your engine running too cool. Have you been having overheating issues?

Nope no temp issues at all since the Racepace radiator has been fitted, BUT it seems to be pushing the thermostat open, this is purely preventative maintanance .... *Waits for Whatchamacalit to chime in* :P

just remember, if your water temp is lower than the nonimal operating temperature the car might pull timing out (as there's table that either pulls timing depending on water temp, which JEM will definitely know) OR richens up the mixture.. depends on what the tuner likes using.

just remember, if your water temp is lower than the nonimal operating temperature the car might pull timing out (as there's table that either pulls timing depending on water temp, which JEM will definitely know) OR richens up the mixture.. depends on what the tuner likes using.

I know man! Adam would have set it all up spot on, i am just making sure its running optimal and at the moment i dont think it is...

I use the GK on the tractor.

Its a good thing. A little extra noise, but noticeably more air pulled. Didn't get hot on the track, but cooling is way overengineered as you know from us comparing temps at texi!

grab it for the little cost that it is, plus.... IT'S BLACK!!!!! :woot:

9.5 shouldn't really stretch a 265

No a 265 will sit nice, I meant I don't want to go to the effort of running a 9.5 and have to stretch a 245 tyre on or something silly... Just want a 265 up front and all round...

Wait so you have no engine fan atm Matt?

Yeah, just a stock engine fan as it always has been... As I said, no issues with the setup at the moment but if I can make it better while its apart then why not :)

I use the GK on the tractor.

Its a good thing. A little extra noise, but noticeably more air pulled. Didn't get hot on the track, but cooling is way overengineered as you know from us comparing temps at texi!

grab it for the little cost that it is, plus.... IT'S BLACK!!!!! :woot:

:woot: needs more black for sure...

Hmm well I should grab one and see how it goes!

A lower temp thermostat wouldn't help overheating issues anyway. Once the thermostat is open its open, it's up to the rest of your cooling system to keep the engine cool.

I doubt there would be any correction, low temp thermostats don't run that much lower. I know my tune doesn't have any enrichment or timing correction between 70 degrees and 85 degrees, as I was driving around with a leaky thermostat for awhile there.

I just put in a tridon, does the job fine, holds low 80's and gets upto temp quick

Also using a Tridon now. Can't say I've put too many kms on it, probably only 50 or so haha. But it works well from what I can see. I would have preferred to go genuine Nissan though to be honest, I only went the Tridon because I wanted it done on the day and nobody stocked genuine Nissan.

Also using a Tridon now. Can't say I've put too many kms on it, probably only 50 or so haha. But it works well from what I can see. I would have preferred to go genuine Nissan though to be honest, I only went the Tridon because I wanted it done on the day and nobody stocked genuine Nissan.

Hmmm interesting.... The Tridon says it flows more etc etc.... Not sure if the triple pass radiator changes the way the cooling system operates or not?

Had 225's on my 9.5s, perfect amount of stretch for a streeter going for stanced/aggressive look, but awful in the way of grip/handling/comfort. 265 will bulge slightly, assuming you are running 9.5's all round, 265s on the rear, 245s up front IMO. Feel free to disagree but on the rears you want grip for launch and power to wheels, fronts you need to be able to steer - where I believe 265's will be too large and only hinder turning capabilities.

No a 265 will sit nice, I meant I don't want to go to the effort of running a 9.5 and have to stretch a 245 tyre on or something silly... Just want a 265 up front and all round...

Had 225's on my 9.5s, perfect amount of stretch for a streeter going for stanced/aggressive look, but awful in the way of grip/handling/comfort. 265 will bulge slightly, assuming you are running 9.5's all round, 265s on the rear, 245s up front IMO. Feel free to disagree but on the rears you want grip for launch and power to wheels, fronts you need to be able to steer - where I believe 265's will be too large and only hinder turning capabilities.

Richo who is prepping his car for the WTAC and other time attack events runs the biggest tyres he can on all 4 corners.

He runs 285's on all four in his lil R33 Gts-t :)