SAU Community

34Geeteetee Daily / Track Project

Had 225's on my 9.5s, perfect amount of stretch for a streeter going for stanced/aggressive look, but awful in the way of grip/handling/comfort. 265 will bulge slightly, assuming you are running 9.5's all round, 265s on the rear, 245s up front IMO. Feel free to disagree but on the rears you want grip for launch and power to wheels, fronts you need to be able to steer - where I believe 265's will be too large and only hinder turning capabilities.

Exactly the opposite of what i want :P

Look isnt a major concern, the car is built to function the best it can for a street nugget... It runs 235/40 and 265/35 now but i do have some understeer and i would rather balance the car with rubber instead of counteracting it with the swaybars (If that makes sense??)

Richo who is prepping his car for the WTAC and other time attack events runs the biggest tyres he can on all 4 corners.

He runs 285's on all four in his lil R33 Gts-t :)

Yep that i what i was thinking! Maybe its not ideal for street use which is fine, ill run 2 sets of rims.... Being a street car though it has to maintain pretty standard guards!

I want to get them rolled and pulled out to give me some extra room.... Just seems everyone that has run a 9.5 on the front has stretched a tyre and made it MOAR low :/

because racecar :P

:yes::woot::banana:

I'd be curious to see how you go with fitting 9.5's at the front with a 265 tyre.

At the track I had a 8.5inch +35 offset on a 245/40 tyre and it was still hitting the guard on tight bumpy corners.

Out of curiousity what tyres will you be running?

In any case I'm planning on going a 9.5inch + 22 offset rim + a 25/30mm hubcentric spacer at the front 265/35 tyre (AD08 or AD08R) ill just get some GTR guards to make it fit!

I see. I know I don't have the best of knowledge in these situations, but the theory I was going with was fairly right yeah?

Richo who is prepping his car for the WTAC and other time attack events runs the biggest tyres he can on all 4 corners.

He runs 285's on all four in his lil R33 Gts-t :)

I'd be curious to see how you go with fitting 9.5's at the front with a 265 tyre.

At the track I had a 8.5inch +35 offset on a 245/40 tyre and it was still hitting the guard on tight bumpy corners.

In any case I'm planning on going a 9.5inch + 22 offset rim + a 25/30mm hubcentric spacer at the front 265/35 tyre (AD08 or AD08R) ill just get some GTR guards to make it fit!

Yeah fitting GTR guards would solve my issues but they look shit on a GTT and so much needs to be changed to suit.... Unless you do the rear guards too it looks silly....

I run an 8.5 now with a 235/40 tyre and do hit when hard braking + bumps and steering BUT i am raising the front of the car by about 10mm as its sitting too low according to Mr SK...

Tyre choice is yet to be made, i want to make sure it can be done before i get too excited and go but stuff!

Worst case ill run the nats on the size i have now but would prefer to have some grip to make up for the lack of driver skill :laugh:

What part of the guard was it hitting?

Only reason I say, is a 245/40 has a larger diameter then a 265/35.

I had the same issue on my evo, I ran 245/40R18 on it, and everytime I turned it rubbed the front guards. I changed to a 255/35 and it was perfect, even with stock guards. As soon as I went to a 265/35 it started rubbing on the back, so I needed to roll the guards, BUT it didnt rub on the fronts as the diameter wasnt as big....

I had the same issue on my evo, I ran 245/40R18 on it, and everytime I turned it rubbed the front guards. I changed to a 255/35 and it was perfect, even with stock guards. As soon as I went to a 265/35 it started rubbing on the back, so I needed to roll the guards, BUT it didnt rub on the fronts as the diameter wasnt as big....

Was that on your GTR rims?

Actually, from memory i think Kurtis is running 255/35 up front on his GTT... But i think that is on a 18x8.5 rim?

Hmmm interesting.... The Tridon says it flows more etc etc.... Not sure if the triple pass radiator changes the way the cooling system operates or not?

Yeh see that claim annoyed me. The thermostat isn't usually fully open, it shouldn't need to 'flow' more than the factory item. It's a simple thing that does a simple job, there doesn't need to be anything complex about it. If you are getting overheating issues, it's highly unlikely to be because your thermostat can't flow enough coolant. And comparing the two side by side, I couldn't see how they justified that claim anyway.

As for the radiator, are you sure yours is a triple pass not a triple core? My understanding was that triple pass radiators required the inlet/outlet to be on opposite sides, yours are on the same which tells me it must be a dual pass... Also, not that it matters too much, but just read this while looking for pics of your rad:

They look similar on the outside but this is a triple pass radiator, i found cheaper Koyo rads etc but after talking to a few people it seemed the N flo was a good design as it keeps the water in the radiator longer etc....

This doesn't make much sense to me... The coolant is in a closed system. So if it's in the radiator for longer then it is in the engine for longer, which can only increase temperatures.

Yeah fitting GTR guards would solve my issues but they look shit on a GTT and so much needs to be changed to suit.... Unless you do the rear guards too it looks silly....

I run an 8.5 now with a 235/40 tyre and do hit when hard braking + bumps and steering BUT i am raising the front of the car by about 10mm as its sitting too low according to Mr SK...

Tyre choice is yet to be made, i want to make sure it can be done before i get too excited and go but stuff!

Worst case ill run the nats on the size i have now but would prefer to have some grip to make up for the lack of driver skill :laugh:

If your understeering, have you tryed looking at alignment?

Some more positive castor, a little bit of toe out at front might do the trick... (provided you have sticky rubber!)

Was that on your GTR rims?

Actually, from memory i think Kurtis is running 255/35 up front on his GTT... But i think that is on a 18x8.5 rim?

Yes, on my old R34 GT-R rims. I also used to run 255/40/17 SemiSlicks on some old R33 GT-R Rims. They used to rub a little on the rear as well.

Yeh see that claim annoyed me. The thermostat isn't usually fully open, it shouldn't need to 'flow' more than the factory item. It's a simple thing that does a simple job, there doesn't need to be anything complex about it. If you are getting overheating issues, it's highly unlikely to be because your thermostat can't flow enough coolant. And comparing the two side by side, I couldn't see how they justified that claim anyway.

As for the radiator, are you sure yours is a triple pass not a triple core? My understanding was that triple pass radiators required the inlet/outlet to be on opposite sides, yours are on the same which tells me it must be a dual pass... Also, not that it matters too much, but just read this while looking for pics of your rad:

This doesn't make much sense to me... The coolant is in a closed system. So if it's in the radiator for longer then it is in the engine for longer, which can only increase temperatures.

Its what i was told by Racepace, its an Nflo which equates to a triple pass radiator i think?

And yeah i guess that makes sense in regards to the Thermostat too, what brand is the Nissan Genuine one? (I mean who manufactures them for Nissan?)

If your understeering, have you tryed looking at alignment?

Some more positive castor, a little bit of toe out at front might do the trick... (provided you have sticky rubber!)

Alignment was good! Front was a tad too low but in terms of setup it was pretty spot on!

I have a lot of positive camber and also have toe out ;) Got that covered BUT i dont have sticky rubber........ And some asshole sold my wheels and tyres :P :P

Yes, on my old R34 GT-R rims. I also used to run 255/40/17 SemiSlicks on some old R33 GT-R Rims. They used to rub a little on the rear as well.

Should have been MY 34 GT-R rims you nugget! They were black too! :no:

Its what i was told by Racepace, its an Nflo which equates to a triple pass radiator i think?

And yeah i guess that makes sense in regards to the Thermostat too, what brand is the Nissan Genuine one? (I mean who manufactures them for Nissan?)

Ahhh quick google search showed me Koyo's NFlow design, clever system. So yeh, triple pass would work.

As for OEM thermostat; Hitachi... Maybe? Don't quote me on that, I can't actually remember. Probably just had Nissan stamped on it.

Maybe you should try something SLIGHTLY wider...?? 245/35/18?? In a nicer compound?

Alignment was good! Front was a tad too low but in terms of setup it was pretty spot on!

I have a lot of positive camber and also have toe out ;) Got that covered BUT i dont have sticky rubber........ And some asshole sold my wheels and tyres :P :P

Should have been MY 34 GT-R rims you nugget! They were black too! :no:

Haha, Well, I bring my rims back to maitland in two weeks, so we should try them on your car.. (they arnt sold yet!!)

Well with the R34 rims, you didnt want them at the time! Bet your kicking yourself now!!! I actually thought those rims suited the evo too... quite nice.

Edited by Tonba

Interesting about the height of the car and SK Comments

I've read that too and discussed it with Richo once as his car was quite low last year

I think his theory was something along the lines of it would probably work if your were into touring cars and riding every single high bump then maybe too low isn't good? Me no know, maybe Richo will read this post :P

But being low seems to work for Richo

Interesting

Yeah was rubbing on the outside of the tyre hitting the middle of the guard im pretty sure

Ahhh quick google search showed me Koyo's NFlow design, clever system. So yeh, triple pass would work.

As for OEM thermostat; Hitachi... Maybe? Don't quote me on that, I can't actually remember. Probably just had Nissan stamped on it.

Yeah that setup :) Post that shit in here so i can see :P

Hmmm, still leaning towards stock thermostat at this stage.

i have a smaller profile at the rears and i get the SLIP light at speeds above 100. 235/40/18 and 265/35/18

Nope you have another problem man as what you have is the same rolling diameter, i have run the same size as you for years and had no issues! Are you sure you werent just doing a skid? :P

Maybe you should try something SLIGHTLY wider...?? 245/35/18?? In a nicer compound?

Haha, Well, I bring my rims back to maitland in two weeks, so we should try them on your car.. (they arnt sold yet!!)

Well with the R34 rims, you didnt want them at the time! Bet your kicking yourself now!!! I actually thought those rims suited the evo too... quite nice.

Yep that is an option too! The RSR were just cheap shit for now!

We NEED to try them on the car so let me know when they are coming and organise a day to bring them round and have a BBQ etc? Or i can bring the car to yours and do the same? either way sort that shit out!

And yes, i am a dumb ass! :P

Interesting

Yeah was rubbing on the outside of the tyre hitting the middle of the guard im pretty sure

EXACTLY what was happening too me. Rolling diameter was too large for my wheel alignment. I bet if you tried a 245/35 or a 255/35 that rubbing would go away.

Yeah that setup :) Post that shit in here so i can see :P

Hmmm, still leaning towards stock thermostat at this stage.

Nope you have another problem man as what you have is the same rolling diameter, i have run the same size as you for years and had no issues! Are you sure you werent just doing a skid? :P

Yep that is an option too! The RSR were just cheap shit for now!

We NEED to try them on the car so let me know when they are coming and organise a day to bring them round and have a BBQ etc? Or i can bring the car to yours and do the same? either way sort that shit out!

And yes, i am a dumb ass! :P

Haha, sounds good mate. Im back for 4 days in 2 weeks time. We should catchup and do it. Bring your car over on the 17th, stay the night and we can play with it on sunday the 18th?

Interesting about the height of the car and SK Comments

I've read that too and discussed it with Richo once as his car was quite low last year

I think his theory was something along the lines of it would probably work if your were into touring cars and riding every single high bump then maybe too low isn't good? Me no know, maybe Richo will read this post :P

But being low seems to work for Richo

Being low in the 34 throws out the geometry of the suspension i think, the centre of gravity is out, bump steer issues, coilovers bottom out (they are only cheap stuff too).... There was quite a bit too it and i am probably giving all the wrong info BUT simple answer was to set the ride height about 8-10mm higher than it is now... Which will still look good and if it helps with handling then its win win!

I think it will reduce some scrubbing!

Lol be good to get some feedback from Richo actually ;)