SAU Community

M35 Replacement Camshaft Position Sensors?

GlennM35

Hey guys,

All has been going well in my Stagea's life (apart from the 4WD light coming on when it feels like it) until yesterday when my RX just stalled in the middle of a school zone! What was even more worrying afterwards was that it wouldn't start straight away - I had to crank it for 5 or 6 seconds for it to go again!

Anyway I thought this might have just been a once off, but later in the day I went to start it and there was the same issue, took about 10 seconds this time, and the ECU also threw a fault code: P0345 which is "Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 2".

From researching on the American forums, other people with this fault code get the same symptoms as me, they replace both sensors just to be sure, and the problem is fixed. I've read that the code can be caused by other faults, but it would seem that most people just have a dud sensor, and infact there was a recall for '03 350z's in the states for this exact problem.

My only problem now is how would I go about sourcing the right part from my helpful local nissan dealership? Is there anyway of finding or knowing the correct part number? Is it interchangeable with any other VQ engine variants?

Obviously this is something that should be fixed immediately, I'm just worried about the intermittent stalling and having my big box stalling after taking off through a busy intersection or something!

Cheers

Glenn

I actually took my car to Nissan Hornsby to get the part and replaced it for me. You should only need to replace the faulty one.

Most Nissan dealers are reasonably helpful with sourcing solution. Just tell them it is an import and have your VIN handy.

I can certainly vouch for Nissan dealers at Brookvale & Hornsby being very helpful.

Cheers

Andy

Driver side CAM sensor - 23731-6J906

Passenger side CAM sensor - 23731-AL616

Crank sensor - 23731-AL606

I can't open my Parts Master at the moment, but I am pretty sure they are the same as what is used in the VQ35de engine.

DO NOT let the Nissan "expert" tell you they are the same as an Xtrail *f**king idiots*

The part numbers above are updated items as of 2004, but they may have updated since then (probably just to a "7" at the end in stead of a "6").

Also, I had the same 0345 error early this year. Replaced all three sensors which made no difference.

Turns out there was a bent connector for one of the CAM sensors (can't remember which bank) which was not allowing proper contact.

If you car has a silver circular sticker on the strut tower (or on/near the VIN plate) it means that your sensors were replaced as part of the factory recall in Japan. If this is the case, I'd be checking the connectors before handing it over to a Nissan "tech".

Oh, one last thing, make sure they let the starter motor cool for around 20-30seconds after each unsuccessful crank of the engine.

You don't want them to burn out your starter motor.

I can't open my Parts Master at the moment, but I am pretty sure they are the same as what is used in the VQ35de engine.

DO NOT let the Nissan "expert" tell you they are the same as an Xtrail *f**king idiots*

The part numbers above are updated items as of 2004, but they may have updated since then (probably just to a "7" at the end in stead of a "6").

Also, I had the same 0345 error early this year. Replaced all three sensors which made no difference.

Turns out there was a bent connector for one of the CAM sensors (can't remember which bank) which was not allowing proper contact.

If you car has a silver circular sticker on the strut tower (or on/near the VIN plate) it means that your sensors were replaced as part of the factory recall in Japan. If this is the case, I'd be checking the connectors before handing it over to a Nissan "tech".

Oh, one last thing, make sure they let the starter motor cool for around 20-30seconds after each unsuccessful crank of the engine.

I replaced both of mine recently after the same issue........seems to be fine now.

Drivers side : 23731-6J906 is now 23731-6J90B and

Passenger side : 23731-AL616 is now 23731-AL61A

Nissan charged me $350

Where are you? I have some spares to try if you are in Melbourne.

I'm in Canberra :/

Wow thanks for the info guys! Man this forum is so helpful.

I'll have a look at the strut tower later today for that silver sticker, but I'm hoping it is just the sensors going bad.

I'll take the part numbers and VIN to the dealer, but I just remember last time I dealt with them they weren't particularly interested in dealing with imports.

Ouch for the $400 though! But what can you do....

Thanks again!

I'm in Canberra :/

Wow thanks for the info guys! Man this forum is so helpful.

I'll have a look at the strut tower later today for that silver sticker, but I'm hoping it is just the sensors going bad.

I'll take the part numbers and VIN to the dealer, but I just remember last time I dealt with them they weren't particularly interested in dealing with imports.

Ouch for the $400 though! But what can you do....

Thanks again!

Try another dealer if you can? Might be a bit harder for you in Canberra I realise.

Some are really helpful, because they actually LIKE cars, and enjoy the challenge; like my local guy :thumbsup:,(he actually gets excited, because every time he looks for parts for me, he learns something new) others are just lazy, I think.

They can all access the parts listings, some just choose not to.

Hey Cam,

IMAG0044.jpg

Is this what you're referring to? There are two little silver dots on the right hand side of the plate, smaller than a 5c coin. One of them is blank and the other has "R186" printed on it (sorry about the blurry phone photo).

Just to make sure I have it right, the 2 sensors are at the bumper side of the engine, and they're located just below the level of the plastic engine shroud, and mine are blue in color.

Where is the 3rd sensor?

If it's a case of a bent connector, is that pretty straight forward to see and fix yourself?

Thanks again

Glenn

Edited by GlennM35

Unfortunately the cam angle sensors are on the back of the engine, it would be much easier on the front!

The passenger side isn't too bad but the drivers side is very well hidden....

And the crank angle sensor is underneath the engine, on the gearbox. It may just need a clean as it builds up with a lot of gunk.

Get underneath and remove it with a spanner, clean it and replace. See if the error goes away.

Hey Cam,

Is this what you're referring to? There are two little silver dots on the right hand side of the plate, smaller than a 5c coin. One of them is blank and the other has "R186" printed on it (sorry about the blurry phone photo).

Just to make sure I have it right, the 2 sensors are at the bumper side of the engine, and they're located just below the level of the plastic engine shroud, and mine are blue in color.

Where is the 3rd sensor?

If it's a case of a bent connector, is that pretty straight forward to see and fix yourself?

Thanks again

Glenn

Yep, R186 means that yours were replaced as part of the factory recall... so were mine.

The sensors are at the rear of the engine and have a green clip.

10mm socket is needed to remove the bolt that holds the sensor securely in the engine. Once this is removed, simply pull the sensor out, but try your best not to hit anything with it.

You will have to take the sensors out and have a good close look at both the sensor and the clip to see if it is a bent connector.

And the crank angle sensor is underneath the engine, on the gearbox. It may just need a clean as it builds up with a lot of gunk.

Get underneath and remove it with a spanner, clean it and replace. See if the error goes away.

3rd sensor (crank angle sensor)? What he said^^ :)

Well I've worked out that 0345 is referring to the passenger side sensor (pretty confusing looking at G35 forums when they're left hand drive) and had a quick go at removing it... the instructions I found tell you how to take the connector clip off, but it's like it has been glued on! I'm pushing the little clip in while pulling the connector out but no go :/ Any tips?

Also went to Nissan in Phillip today, and the parts guy was actually quite helpful. We had a bit of a yarn about the M35s, he really likes them which I think helped!

Anyhow I got a quote for both sensors, the drivers side is ~140 and passenger side ~210 plus GST. Does that sound right? The drivers side is listed as "Sensor assy" and the passenger as "Sensor A-Crank", which might lead one to believe that it's the crank sensor, but the part number is right (23731-AL61A).

Mmm, they are the same sensor, just a different plug direction, so I dont understand why they are different prices. There are three sensors that could be the fault, like I said the crank sensor underneath may be dirty, have you tried cleaning it before blowing the cash? Are all the pins clean and straight? They have been replaced already remember.

The clip was a pain to remove as I remember put it came off eventually.(I may have used a screwdriver.)

Well I've worked out that 0345 is referring to the passenger side sensor (pretty confusing looking at G35 forums when they're left hand drive) and had a quick go at removing it... the instructions I found tell you how to take the connector clip off, but it's like it has been glued on! I'm pushing the little clip in while pulling the connector out but no go :/ Any tips?

You have taken the sensor out first? Silly question but it does help to have the sensor out of the engine before removing the clip.

You will need to push the end of the clip in first, then I think I squeezed the rear sides while pulling the connector out to remove it.

Definitely one of those items I was concerned about the possibility of breaking!

You have taken the sensor out first? Silly question but it does help to have the sensor out of the engine before removing the clip.

You will need to push the end of the clip in first, then I think I squeezed the rear sides while pulling the connector out to remove it.

Definitely one of those items I was concerned about the possibility of breaking!

No not a silly question at all as I was trying to get it off while the sensor was still in there :whistling:

I'll have another crack on the weekend, properly this time!

• 11 months later...

so it turns out all 3 sensors are available non gen, i had to replace the passengers cam sensor. it's in and working a gem, looked identical. that link on how to clear codes worked a treat, thanks for that!!

if anyone needs these sensors im happy to help, they are a lot cheaper!