SAU Community

Russman's Time Attack Build

Russman

and just to touch on the said sump builder, he races a 32 gtst that runs anywhere between 450-600kw's and is one well sorted rig. wet sump, no oil drama's. oh and it revs well beyond 9

also, love this build to death, huge inspiration for my own build. keep up the good work

my car is 1212kg with 30l of fuel.

Come strip mine down this weekend...I would love to get mine down to around 1250kg with no fuel. But will still need carpet and radio etc for street duties :)

Hey Russman

Have you sorted a sump? regardless what you buy you will need gates not just baffles and extra capacity. My tuner builds them. modified pick-up gated and winged. they arent cheap but non of them will be. i think $1200 bolt up no mods.

you also have an rb25 gearbox dont you russ? thats another 15 odd kg over a 20 box.

im guessing you have an unstripped loom? do you have factory intrusion bars in the doors? its been proven time and time again that stripping door frames has little advantage. viva garage used to do very cheap fiberglass doors that cost around 400-500$ most of the weight in standard doors is in the hinge and latch areas. not easy to remove them.

if you take a look under the back of the car and the subframe there is a lot of small weight to be gained. We were able to get bens targa car to 1230 in rally trim without any expensive light weight parts.

if you want to cut weight you have to look at everything as weight. and work out if you need it or not and how you can make it lighter. every little bit counts. and remember removing weight is free power and free brakes.

Good luck for WTA

Yeah Racepace are making me a sump and modified pickup. It is gated.

Getting fitted today.

Yeah 25 box.

Loom is yet to be stripped out...

Door intrusions will be removed soon. Even with fibreglass doors you still need to retain the latch and hinge so I'll stick with my steel doors till I have some money to burn.

Think the next big thing after I strip doors and fit lexan will be the loom. cbf at this stage. If I have time before WTA I'll give it a go.

thanks for the input.

Re wiring from scratch is where you'll make decent gains. I just striped mine down to the minimum up the the fuse box and I saved about 3kg. Nothing to write home about but better than a kick up the ass. Intrusion bars are 2.5kg, each plus I took some door frame out to help getting the bars out, whick took it up to 3kgs. Lexan and lightweight mirrors netted me just over 6kg saved per door.

With an R32 it's 100x easier to get some series 1 doors than drill the bars out. I've got a feeling they are made out of thinner steel too, as there is 10kg a door difference between s1 and s2

If i remember Russ, I'll ask Collins how much wiring he got out of that fire engine gts-t mentioned earlier.

I saw half way pics and a fair bit of crap had come out of it, be interesting to know just how much the end result of a strip/re-wire was

lol. So Ben. Series 1 is 89-90? Series 2 91-93? Mine is a 90 model.

Pretty sure thats right. The inside of a series 2 door looks like a corricated iron roof on the back of the outer skin

Unfortunately the new custom sump was modelled on an R33 and it didn't clear the swaybar enough when we put it in last week.

Because of this we missed out at PI on the weekend. I had brand new rubber on the thing and was ready to go but no such luck...

Upside to that is I got more done on the splitter. Only a little bit to go and it'll be done.

Thanks to Matt and the guys at SX Developments for the advice and sharing their support frame design.

Started with an MDF sheet

post-10715-0-99604600-1341319121_thumb.jpg

post-10715-0-65550900-1341319230_thumb.jpg

post-10715-0-26652300-1341319249_thumb.jpg

post-10715-0-84348200-1341319261_thumb.jpg

post-10715-0-72666500-1341319273_thumb.jpg

post-10715-0-43444700-1341319291_thumb.jpg

post-10715-0-47516100-1341319306_thumb.jpg

post-10715-0-18545500-1341319320_thumb.jpg

post-10715-0-94788800-1341319333_thumb.jpg

Also fitted up a power steering cooler to get past some heavy steering after a few laps.

post-10715-0-17573600-1341319409_thumb.jpg

Russ, interested in how you mounted the front tow hook... Can't really see from the pictures what it's bolted to?

It's bolted to the chassis further back. Had to weld an extension so it would protrude though. They never sell them long enough.

With the splitter we have ideas on what we want to do long term but time doesn't permit for this year. Perhaps next year.

Carbon fibre and much fancier diffusers.

Are you going to leave the splitter as mdf or are you going to make a mold of it?

I can't remember reading back about it but did you change your front spring rates when you changed to the 25? Do you mind sharing what you are running?

Looking good

haha nah the splitter is sheet aluminium. No I kept spring rates the same. RB25 and RB20 weigh pretty much the same.

10k front and 8k rear. Nothing too special