SAU Community

"gentle" Thats Her Name

Back in 2001 I bought this wine red series 1 R33 gtst from an importer, It was an awesome car. I drove the ass off it and it just kept coming back for more and more. I started drifting it soon after buying it. That led to doing some sprints at QR and then on to Gatton and Leyburn. At just under 200,000 km the timing belt tensioner stud snapped. Re-building the engine was go, but what did I really want to do with this car down the track...... Race it harder! Cage went in and lots didn't.

interior.jpg

cage_in_ebay.jpg

engine.jpg

IM000779.jpg

It went well, real well. Things got modified more and more and looked less and less like a street car. After Noosa hill 2009 I decided it was time to pull it down and have a good look at how everything was going after 4/5 years of racing it. I also wanted to tidy up a lot of the suspension experiments, some worked extremely well. Like all best laid plans, I decided to essentialy re-shell it all into a road car I had lying around as a spare.... just in-case.

Picture063.jpg

Picture021.jpg

11052010_002.jpg

Some one should buy this thing, has been an awesome road car and exceeded all expectations on the track.

Noosa Hill June 2010, 1st in class & new class record

SCMA Super Sprint Series, outright champion 2010

Gatton 2011, 1st in class.(I broke my thumb 2 days before the event)

So Gentle, She's on the road back. I wanted to get the dumby motor in today. I had to work out how to get the RB30 mounts to fit the 33 cross member. My tig welding is getting better. there is a 6mm rubber cushion in there, other wise its a solid job. It is getting dry sumped so the angle isn't a major concern other than oil drainage.

old tyre rub marks

gentlestageII004.jpg

gentlestageII005.jpg

gentlestageII013.jpg

gentle001.jpg

gentle002.jpg

gentle006.jpg

gentle003.jpg

gentle007.jpg

gentle008.jpg

A question, why did you try so had to shove RB30 mounts in? I'm assuming RB26/30DETT is being built, but most people just mod the rb25 mounts to slot the motor down...

What're you expecting vibration to be like with out much rubber?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a set of 30 mounts laying about,I will have a look at it with some 25 mounts. Besides, I figured, 30 block, 30 mounts.

They are the turbs I will be starting out with.

Things have taken a left turn as well. I have had to re-shell everything back into this shell. The Black 1 had a bit of a moment :whistling::mellow::wacko::spank::down:

• 2 weeks later...

Right, so a tree hit here

reshell005.jpg

that exploded the wing and bent the rail near the front of the wheel, squashed the floor, tore the bumper rio out and bent the opposite side of the car.

reshell003.jpg

This side didn't touch a thing.

reshell004.jpg

So all the driveline has been transferd over in as simple way posible....eg

reshell002.jpg

and in about 12 hours...we were done!

reshell006.jpg

well, its ready to race but not how it was ment to be.

It is where it was at the end of 09, freshend up somewat.

Until the 30/26, superbox, revised suspension and Carbon/Kavlar/FRP components are in, it is not yet done.

Edited by Noddy

Oh yeh, there is a hell of a kink in the passengers sill, in the middle of the passenger door.... I think this is fixable, with time and a serious rack session.

Shells for these things are cheap as. Might be easier to just pick up another shell Noddy (And no, not our Secretary!).

So any story/incar footage of said rail bending event?