SAU Community

Ad's Hr31 Build

Haven't updated this in a while. Been buying parts and i am now slowley getting to work on her.

N1 water pump

Gates timing belt kit

Greddy plenium

Tomei pon cams

R31house intercooler air guide

2L surge tank with a 044

Powersteering cooler

Battery box with kill switch and battery pole

Borrowed the trade plate from work and took her on a chrissy cruise with a few people from work missed driving her so much. Bride, nardi and harness feel awesome through corners and sit me firm. Passed an SA SAU cruise on our way to Birdwood motor musiem.

Engine, gearbox, cross member with steering rack, front suspension are out and engine bay is stripped and in the process of been painted.

Engine is on a engine stand and today i put on my Greddy manifold, GTSR manifold with the turbo. Just have to work out my coolant lines and then i can start on the timing belt with the cams etc.

Plan is when i put the engine back in it will be a loom less or there about engine bay. Shouldnt be too hard now im getting rid of the air con and heater so i have some more holes in the firewall to play with.

I have a deposit down on a cusco roll cage that will make its way into the old girl one day.

WP_000300.jpg

WP_000489.jpg

WP_000494.jpg

WP_000499.jpg

WP_000563_zps8a2bc380.jpg

WP_000585_zps58d4770d.jpg

WP_000588_zps7eeeb16c.jpg

WP_000590_zps3bad9663.jpg

WP_000592_zps3516f9cd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mate.

More crossed off the list today:

Fitted up my brake booster, clutch master, brake lines and a few other little things

Working out how to hide my body loom on the drivers side. I have all the engine loom sussed with my gauge loom etc

Changed my rack boots, rack bushes, rack spacers went in with cazman adjustable caster arms. Ran into trouble with the s15 links as the thread is too short and the whiteline bushs are too long, ill have to cut the bushes in half to make them fit id say. I also have to drill the caster arm holes out a little wider to suit the cazman items.

Gave the cross member a coat of paint to tidy it up so it looks like new again.

All that is left to do on the cross member side is the links with bushes, solid steering bush and block off the HICAS lines on the rack.

Would i be right in saying when you fit the cazman arms you don't put the bushes in too? As the thread is too short on arms.

Pulled the diff out as i have finally found someone that isn't a smoker and just wants to waste my time :verymad:

WP_000667_zpsbc5ef724.jpg

WP_000665_zps008c5aeb.jpg

WP_000668_zps9da0749a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks mate cant wait for skids!!!

No real updates as i have been doing a 25 gearbox swap on my brother 32 witch is proving to be a little harder than first thought.
Got the radiator today i must say I'm happy how it was packaged and sent. The shroud fits up perfect but i have to modify the mounts underneath as they don't quite line up the top, as well as ill tap a thread out for the sensor in the bottom of the radiator. Apart from that it looks like a sturdy piece of gear now looking at in the engine bay i may need to run thermos on the other side for room clearance if these ideas i have don't pan out.

Paid for the roll cage today even though it wont be CAMS spec i believe a roll cage is better than nothing just in case the unthinkable happens. Found it cheap so it's no real loss if i on sell it for what ever reason.

Shed is now changed size again as I'm allowed to go bigger thanks to the Mrs haha. Now we are going for a 5.5 M X 6 so we can build of the shed and extend the pergola area later on.

WP_000677_zps6f0daa65.jpg

Thanks dude.

Thanks to XXXI (my brother) i bought a Tomei adjustable exhaust cam gear that now finishes off the engine side of things for now.
I picked up the roll cage today and gave it a quick trial fit. The main hoop is prime as it fits with the roof lining still in witch i am happy about, the front legs are so close but need a little modding as for the rear part its so cloase but the rear legs will be a little shorter and it will fit pretty much perfict.

Sold my diff the other night and the Mrs got most of the money rolleyes.gif . But i bought some Davies Craig 12 inch thermos X2 and a cooler core that I'm going to use as a fuel cooler.
Next on the list will be too build the shed and get it happening!!

WP_000684_zpsa097dbb1.jpg

WP_000693_zps92c89cb0.jpg

WP_000699_zps4b1d3e0d.jpg

WP_000696_zpsf0f13639.jpg

Had a sick day off work to progress with the shed plans and to get the manifold all cleaned up. This is the extent of 5 hours with a wire brush on a drill, i still have to do all underneath and the collector as well as two more pipes on top. Such a long process...

manifold_zps4a94fb40.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Do it you know you want too ;)

Pointless update. Cross member, steering rack is back in and painted. Drilled the holes out to fit the Cazman caster arms and painted the RCA's and put them in also found a place that should work with the oil filter relocate. I will have to massage the radiator support as its been bent upwards witch causes the radiator to sit higher but no biggie.

Hopefully tomorrow i will have better updates as I'm planning on having the car back on the ground rolling again. Trying to have it ready to move around for when the shed arrives.

WP_000729_zpsf43c8124.jpg

WP_000728_zps25944fe5.jpg

• 1 month later...

Coupe is getting re homed for a month or so whilst the shed gets assembled and concreted. She's going to a mates house witch he has a pretty sweet set up, access to a hoist, welder and better utensils than I have at home atm. Whilst she's up there ill be getting a few big jobs done that I can't do here, it will come back ready to rock and roll so I can concentrate on the engine and interior side of things.
Gave her a bath and put it back together to be rollable onto a trailer tomorrow night. It's got some spastic toe in and toe out as I didn't set it up correctly tongue.gif but ill correct it later.
Waiting on a couple of parts to get delivered an external tow hook, a s13 alloy over flow that I will fit upto the drivers side wheel arch hump.
I have the cam covers and timing belt cover at the local power coaters. My weather shields, coil pack cover and grill are at the spray painters getting new paint.

WP_000770_zps2290dda8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Dropped engine in last night so I can work out oil cooler lines and fittings, cooler pipes, wiring looms, making up brackets and heat shield etc. Still haven't finished facing the manifold or got it painted yet but I can take it off easy enough still. My actuator is touching the chassis so I will have to rig something up to move it out the way, apart from that everything fits nice and snug with out any head aces thankfully.
I have a week off this week so ill be smashing out a fair amount of work on her, hopefully I don't get lazy and do f**k all and smash the xbox instead tongue.gif .
I'm starting to get excited once again as things are looking good and coming together how I had hoped. Just need to start working more to fund the more important things for the time been so I can get it going.

WP_000809_zps484f5e43.jpg

Started bright and early today to get a head start on everything.
Stripped the whole rear section of what I no longer require.
Cut the rear legs down on the cage first so it would fit in nice and snug and my hunch about getting the front legs to fit worked a treat. Now the cage sits where it should and works a treat sits a tad low in a couple of spots but not too bad. A few more bars will be added this week too and then off to the powder coaters grin.gif . With the extra bars we are going to follow cams rules but seen as the cage isn't cams approved it wont make much of a difference. Hoping to get away with it but don't think it will happen more so for extra piece of mind.
Ill also be making up a large plate to screw into position on the rear seats as well as a new parcel shelf when we head over to the local steel place.
Made a couple more little brackets so the intercooler won't budge on its own.
Started looking at cooler pipes whilst the engine is in the bay but then gave up..
So more updates to come tomorrow wink.gif

WP_000820_zps2d639061.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't updated this in a while. Copy and pasted:

Another full on day done. Whole interior is stripped ready for dry ice tomorrow.
Pulled all the shit out from behind the dash I no longer require and put it in a scrap pile.
Carpet is up and out of the car.
Some rear trims removed so I can get every last inch of the crap up.
Looms are zip tied up out of the way ready to rock and roll.

Tomorrow Im hoping I can get all the dry ice work done.
Put the carpet back in.
Dash back in and start the head f**k of re looming the main loom and the gauges looms into the engine bay.
Id say that's all ill get done as ill be working on the loom for quite some time id say.

WP_000824_zps1a3af548.jpg

Yeah I will be a few months ahead after this week on the car. She will be all back together by the time she's home again wink.gif .
Didn't get a great deal done today as I was nursing a hangover haha.
Cleaned up all the sound proofing. I still need to do the rear wheel archs and a little more in the boot that is sticky glue shit.
Cage is back in ready to measure out and get the bars in place ready for welding.
Carpet is back in with a few different dash parts.
Sorted out the spider web of loom that was behind the dash, now all that's in it currently is the body loom until I start wiring in the new parts.
Bought some pipe and steal sheet to make up a rear parcel shelf and to block off the boot from the cabin.

Haven't weighed it yet but id say its a few kg. Between this and all the heater/aircon and a few other things id say iv taken out 8kg.
WP_000831_zps86e880b4.jpg

Got the dash back in and got the loom tucked up.
Put the new cluster in with my old fascia cover as the new one was scratched up.
Started on cutting up the bars for cage to make them fit nice I ground out C's so they would be nice and tight. I have a couple more to do between the rear legs and the main hoop, on a couple of them I'm making a sleeve to so they slide into each other so it isn't impossible to get the cage in and out. Still needs welding but I ran out of time.
Going to put a few gauges where the climate control knobs were so they are nice and high to see.
Now the heater box and shit isn't behind the dash there is so much more room to play with and keep things tidy.
What about demisting the front windscreen you say? I have a small Craig Davies fan that I'm going to make up ducts for so it will blow on the front windscreen and through the dash vents for the driver and passenger.
Couldn't do a full day today as the Mrs cracked the shits I have spent all week on the car and haven't done anything around the house that she's wanted done. I'm pretty chuffed I didn't think I would have been able to get this far in a week but as I said earlier it has put me months ahead of where I was.

WP_000847_zpsc2af5377.jpg

WP_000850_zps027b24b7.jpg

WP_000852_zps1af87839.jpg

I have emailed Streeter today about getting some products sent over from the R31house boys. Nothing crazy just a few things I have wanted but never had the money to get them.

Love freshly painted shit. Got my weather shields and coilpack cover back today, I have left the grill with him as he is going to try to paint the GTS part white for me. Looks pretty decent over the rattle can shit, I have decided I'm not going to paint anything else with a rattle can either powder coat or in a spray booth as the quality just doesn't compare.

Colour for the cage I was going to go white but then thinking about it the sun will reflect off it pretty bad, I'm thinking a bronze like the bottom half of my car for something different? Thoughts?
Sold a few more parts so ill be buying up some more cool shit hopefully this week too.

First lot of parts came in today. Picked these up from the boys at G7 thanks for the hook ups lads. If I didn't care about money so much I would buy a whole bunch of these and do the entire car with them, hoping I will have enough hose but I think 4m should be enough.
I have ordered a bunch of random clips that are missing or broke over the years. This is to keep my OCD happy with keeping the car neat and tidy haha.

WP_000859_zps5547c9b6.jpg

Her new home slowly getting finished in this crap SA weather.

WP_000864_zpsb00b1720.jpg

Didn't get as much done last night as I first thought I would. Got the coilpack cover on with the allan key bolts, also have a sticker coming for it too that will finish it off.
Changed the mesh on the back of the oil cooler and doubled it up for extra strength.
Got my oil cooler/remote oil filter and catch can lines all dummy fitted as I will have to take them off when the engine comes out again tongue.gif .
Took my autospoiler over to have fitted up but looking at it the oil cooler might foul on it, so im not too sure if I should keep it or sell it off to fund a basic house kit haha.

WP_000869_zps02ec0a84.jpg

WP_0008782_zps96f9fc04.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice man cars looking awesome.

What I don't get is why did nissan put 180km/h speedo's in later models and 240km/h's in the older model confuses me. But the car looks awesome.

• Like 1

It's an aftermarket or South African speedo, not the stock one. You'll find pretty much all Jap speedos only go to 180 due to Jap market cars needing to be speed limited to 180.

Yeah it can still be street regod :whistling: but ill pretty much keep it as a track car now as i can't be bothered with police hassles and defects/fines.

I might street it later on down the track haha.

Not a great deal achieved lately I spent hours looking for the screws to hold my weather shields on the other night but I couldn't find them so I wasted half a night and pretty much got nothing done haha. My autospoiler wont work anymore with the oil coolers in the spot they are sadly. When she comes home again and I have the front end part for the last time ill see if I can make it work, if not it might end up getting a house kit even though I like the autospoiler better.

My parcel is on the way from Japan today thanks to Jesse Streeter.

Got a couple of stickers coming thanks to 31 club member. A custom one for the engine bay and one for the exterior for a laugh.

I have had a few hits on my hypergear turbo including a mate that's pretty keen on it, so if it sells ill be going a Kando TD06 20G with a 10cm rear. Ill then get the gate welded onto the exhaust housing and run it that way instead of hacking up the manifold, but with the power increase ill have to upgrade the clutch to something better again so that might be up for sale soon. Not really fussed if it doesn't sell ill still use it on this setup but I have read up on these kando turbos and they seem to be the ducks nuts.

Also bought one of these thanks to Fatz. I have been looking for one since I got my manifold but they allways come with the manifold witch I don't need, also it will look a shit load better than getting it ceramic coated. All I have to do now is finish facing it and drill and tap out the old studs in the manifold that are broken.

image_zps6a0f567c.jpg

Got my stuff from Streeter today. Got a front strut brace, wonder festival dvd 2012, nismo rad cap (Didn't pay $100) only $30, another badge, bonnet rubbers as mine are fooked, and a flag for the shed. Couldn't resist so I had to hang it straight away grin.gif .
Manifold cover is over on its way so ill get that next week.

My thoughts today were I have to focus on getting a 25 box now that I don't have anything else to pay for or to get to keep the ball rolling... Until I saw Coxy was selling a full set of 17x9 plus 18 5 stud wheels in a bronze colour, that I have allways been chasing dam you Andrew. I have only ever found them in 16s so I had to snap them up quick.
They come with Falken semis witch suit because they will be my track/skid wheels.

I guess I may need to start looking into flares haha.

WP_000912_zps912d3d15.jpg

avs_zps09bdb790.jpg

WP_000913_zpsbb648e2d.jpg

Gday mate,

The 31s lookin rad and the sheds coming along nicely, love the flags ;)

My sheds the same size and its just big enough for an R32, motorcycle and small workshop area. Oh and a beer fridge too! :thumbsup:

Be sure to post plenty of pics of how it turns out.

Cheers

Thanks man.

Yeah the shed has made our back garden half lol so im lucky the Mrs has let me build one this big haha. She was looking at 3x7 and I managed to convince her that it wouldn't be practicable to work on the coupe.