SAU Community

S A U N S W - Wakefield Trackday Number 2 For 2011

N1GTR

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a few people have PM'd me about photos. Folks in order for the photographers to come all the way out we need more interest registered.

If you want killer shots of your high speed awesomeness - PM me so we can ensure it is a go.

5 more sleeps, come on.

My searching prowess is very limited, as is time at the moment. Can someone point me in the right direction for some 'track day preparation' advice? I'm particularly keen to know what tyre pressure I should be aiming for.

Also, is anyone else driving down from Sydney at the crack of dawn on Sat morning??

I'm particularly keen to know what tyre pressure I should be aiming for.

My understanding on tyre pressures are as follows... there are so many variable factors that there is no one ideal tyre pressure for any car/track as it comes down to the car, tyre and driver preference.

If this is your first track day on street tyres, I would suggest simply increasing your tyre pressures by around 2-4 psi higher than what you would usually use on the street and leaving it at that. You will increase your times faster by learning what lines to take than altering your tyre pressures ;)

Personally, I aim for around 30psi hot on all corners on my not quite standard R33 on Federal 595RS-Rs. Don't know if it's right or wrong, but it's what I use lol

My understanding on tyre pressures are as follows... there are so many variable factors that there is no one ideal tyre pressure for any car/track as it comes down to the car, tyre and driver preference.

If this is your first track day on street tyres, I would suggest simply increasing your tyre pressures by around 2-4 psi higher than what you would usually use on the street and leaving it at that. You will increase your times faster by learning what lines to take than altering your tyre pressures ;)

Personally, I aim for around 30psi hot on all corners on my not quite standard R33 on Federal 595RS-Rs. Don't know if it's right or wrong, but it's what I use lol

This is a great start Cassbo, thanks. I am indeed going on cheap street tyres, which will be the second biggest restriction (behind me as the driver)

Eric put me down for still shots of awsomeness as well, not only will I have the Go Pro to get the moving pictures of my epicness (bad skills) but the stills will show my super (lame) styles from the outside.

MOREPICSORBAN

Street tyres are a good way to learn,

you will feel any suspension issues (understeer, oversteer etc) much easier than when on grippy semi's

But the lower corner speed will mean you will be harder on brakes as you have to brake for longer

But the lower corner speed will mean you will be harder on brakes as you have to brake for longer

I have to disagree on that... stickier tyres will be harder on brakes as you will be able to brake harder and later than you would if you had street tyres.

A combination of Project Mu HC+ pads and Porche Cup slicks absolutely ruined my standard rotors :laugh:

I have to disagree on that... stickier tyres will be harder on brakes as you will be able to brake harder and later than you would if you had street tyres.

A combination of Project Mu HC+ pads and Porche Cup slicks absolutely ruined my standard rotors :laugh:

100% Agree.

You can carry more corner speed, but you can also put down more power, and earlier on sticky tyres, and you'll work the brakes much harder.

5 more sleeps, come on.

My searching prowess is very limited, as is time at the moment. Can someone point me in the right direction for some 'track day preparation' advice? I'm particularly keen to know what tyre pressure I should be aiming for.

Also, is anyone else driving down from Sydney at the crack of dawn on Sat morning??

On road rubber i'd say let the pressures down 5-10 psi depending how hard you run them because on the track they will heat up fast and pressures will shoot up. Check them straight away after your first session and adjust as needed.

Oh and dont use your handbrake when you get into the pits after a session. It's hard fighting the habit though.

On road rubber i'd say let the pressures down 5-10 psi...

Oh and dont use your handbrake when you get into the pits after a session. It's hard fighting the habit though.

Thanks gregor for the tips. On last check my tyres were 36 psi so I take it the global advice would be to drop this figure to close to 30 all round, to be checked after the first session.

I'm going to print a "don't use the handbrake" sign - that's one habit it is going to be hard to break.

So, anyone driving down at 5:30am on Sat morning??

I'll have to disagree with gregor... I found a higher tyre pressure on street tyres works well as street tyres do not have as reinforced sidewalls as semi slicks. This should reduce tyre wall flex which is important as you are going to be a lot harder on your tyre's sidewalls than if you were on the street.

I haven't used street tyres on my Skyline for a while now, but when I did I kept my tyre pressures around the 36psi cold mark, then at the track bump them up to around 38-40. After a session I would set them at around 41-42psi hot... but that was when they were well and truly overheated and didn't want to grip the track anymore and you want to avoid doing this too much as it degrades the rubber. This may seem high, but my tyre wear was still consistent with under inflation (and/or someone who uses the steering wheel as a brake of sorts :blush:)

My previous comment still stands, focus on getting consistent (not to be confused with fast) lap times before trying to change too much with the car ;)

EDIT

Asking about tyre pressures is relatable to asking how long a peice of string is :laugh:

Just curious as to who will have room for a passenger out on the track? I'll bring my helmet!

I've been in a few GTRs as I'm looking at which way I want to take my stagea rs260.

If anyone with power figures between 300-500kws and has room let me know.

Also wouldn't mind going out in a big single turbo one to see the difference or more responsive turbo vs laggy ones?

Thanks

Nick

Edited by Verms

I'll have to disagree with gregor... I found a higher tyre pressure on street tyres works well as street tyres do not have as reinforced sidewalls as semi slicks. This should reduce tyre wall flex which is important as you are going to be a lot harder on your tyre's sidewalls than if you were on the street.

I haven't used street tyres on my Skyline for a while now, but when I did I kept my tyre pressures around the 36psi cold mark, then at the track bump them up to around 38-40. After a session I would set them at around 41-42psi hot... but that was when they were well and truly overheated and didn't want to grip the track anymore and you want to avoid doing this too much as it degrades the rubber. This may seem high, but my tyre wear was still consistent with under inflation (and/or someone who uses the steering wheel as a brake of sorts :blush:)

My previous comment still stands, focus on getting consistent (not to be confused with fast) lap times before trying to change too much with the car ;)

EDIT

Asking about tyre pressures is relatable to asking how long a peice of string is :laugh:

Will be heading out to the track this Sat too so see you guys out there.

Agree with tyre pressure comments above.

30 psi tyre pressures are for the real (ie RE55s etc) semi-slicks with the heavily reinforced side walls I believe.

Street tyres are generally run at the 40psi + mark. I think the Circuit Club instructors actually recommended 45psi (hot) for street tyres.

I am using RE070s on the front this weekend for the first time. These are the softer (treadwear 140) Bridgestone OEM tyres for the WRX Sti which apparently have strong side walls. Will be interested to see how they perform. Running standard Adrenalins (RE070 only come in one size in 17) on the back so hope they keep up!

Dani.