SAU Community

S A U N S W - Wakefield Trackday Number 2 For 2011

N1GTR

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks gregor for the tips. On last check my tyres were 36 psi so I take it the global advice would be to drop this figure to close to 30 all round, to be checked after the first session.

I'm going to print a "don't use the handbrake" sign - that's one habit it is going to be hard to break.

So, anyone driving down at 5:30am on Sat morning??

I am leaving Campbelltown around 5am if you can manage that. Me = slow driver.

need any help with your lines, dnissi?

im pretty sure Lizzie that your lines are not the legal way around the track....

I am leaving Campbelltown around 5am if you can manage that. Me = slow driver.

wow..too early for me to manage. with a bit of luck i will be coming thru Campbelltown by 5:30. Even at 'slow' surely it's only 1h 45m from C'town?

I'll have to disagree with gregor... I found a higher tyre pressure on street tyres works well as street tyres do not have as reinforced sidewalls as semi slicks. This should reduce tyre wall flex which is important as you are going to be a lot harder on your tyre's sidewalls than if you were on the street.

I haven't used street tyres on my Skyline for a while now, but when I did I kept my tyre pressures around the 36psi cold mark, then at the track bump them up to around 38-40. After a session I would set them at around 41-42psi hot... but that was when they were well and truly overheated and didn't want to grip the track anymore and you want to avoid doing this too much as it degrades the rubber. This may seem high, but my tyre wear was still consistent with under inflation (and/or someone who uses the steering wheel as a brake of sorts :blush:)

My previous comment still stands, focus on getting consistent (not to be confused with fast) lap times before trying to change too much with the car ;)

EDIT

Asking about tyre pressures is relatable to asking how long a peice of string is :laugh:

I dont think our approaches are too different but perhaps i wasnt as clear as I intended. When I go to the track I usually stay at goulburn the night before and if possible trailer my car - as a result the tyres are cold or at least cool by the time the first session rolls around. If you run pressures in the mid 30s cold for normal use then you can expect them to shoot up more so than when street driving when you hit the track. 10 psi was probably an over statement but taking off 5 psi cold would help get you towards the 41-42 psi hot target you mentioned. With normal street pressures (36 in my xr6t) i found the car was very slippery and that the pressures had gone up alot.

So for the guy who asked - keep an eye on your pressures after each session and adjust if you think its needed.

I'll admit, I have fallen off the track there once or twice (or if you ask Duncan, every lap) and usually my car is pointing towards the track...

So for the guy who asked - keep an eye on your pressures after each session and adjust if you think its needed.

Sound advice, thank you. Just out of interest, will there be people with air compressors willing to share with us noobs so we can pump our tyres if needed?

CUT-CORNERS-650x433.jpg

That's just how I roll :P

Sound advice, thank you. Just out of interest, will there be people with air compressors willing to share with us noobs so we can pump our tyres if needed?

There is one at Wakefield, but it isn't very good... if I remember to bring mine I'll let you borrow it ;)

ahaha because race car indeed!

weather looks great for turbos....sunny and 10.

I'm not running the race car this time, but I will be available for anyone who wants some pointers on track driving - I will be near the flag point so just grab me.

yeah its a bit of a pain but I just don't have the space to fix it while i am building the house. Pretty sure tk80 is out too....cage is half finished :(

On the good side dnissi will be there to keep them honest....he was only a tenth behind me all day and I'm sure will be looking to go faster this time.