SAU Community

Need Help With R33 I Just Bought

tammy

So I bought a R33 Gtst the other week,

Yesterday I noticed it's started to make this really odd noise and I was hoping someone could help me on what it might be. I will upload a movie later of the noise but at the moment this is the best description I can give.

It kinda sounds like someone is sending through a Morse code message but at the same time kinda sounds like something rattling or loose, I noticed this morning when the car is cold its not very apparent but got louder as the car had warmed up, The noise sounds like its coming from the side the injectors are from. The noise starts once I put my foot on the accelerator and dies down at higher revs or when I take my foot of the accelerator it will die of after a second or 2. it makes the noise in neutral, 1st and dies at 2nd gear.

Any other questions to try help my determine what could be making the noise ill answer the best I can..

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks guys,

Tammy

Another thing i can add, I don’t know if it will have anything to do with the sound its making,

The car is out of tune, been driving it slow because its pinging. Last night when the noise was at its worst just after i parked the car my foot was off the accelerator and the revs went up to 2k by itself then went down to 1k and then back up to 2k where it stayed until I turned the car off. Car never revs that high only did it that once.

Gonna get a Nistune next week... Current computer is an E-Manage

If you are going to get a nistune next week probably get the tuner to check it out. I take it you already have a reputable tuner for that? If not just go into the state forum that is applicable to you and click on the workshop thread and ring around. Sorry i am not much help. GL

EDIT: If you are sure that it is pinging/knocking, probably don't drive around in it too much until has been fixed. But it sounds like you know that anyway.

Edited by Shazza24

If you are going to get a nistune next week probably get the tuner to check it out. I take it you already have a reputable tuner for that? If not just go into the state forum that is applicable to you and click on the workshop thread and ring around. Sorry i am not much help. GL

EDIT: If you are sure that it is pinging/knocking, probably don't drive around in it too much until has been fixed. But it sounds like you know that anyway.

Thanks, My Bf is organising the tune for me, he has a 32GTR so knows heaps and wouldnt take my car some where crap he cant figure out what this sound is though. Deff will get the guy to have a look was just hoping to maybe get some idea on what could be causing the noise. Will upload a sound recording as soon as I have a chance. :-D

Thanks, My Bf is organising the tune for me, he has a 32GTR so knows heaps and wouldnt take my car some where crap he cant figure out what this sound is though. Deff will get the guy to have a look was just hoping to maybe get some idea on what could be causing the noise. Will upload a sound recording as soon as I have a chance. :-D

Now that i think about it.... the sound, it could just be noisy injectors/tappets etc. As mine has had that for some time but it is not overly loud/noticeable and i only hear it occasionally in neutral or sometimes 1st.

EDIT: Yes a video could help.:thumbsup:

Edited by Shazza24

why would u not ask ur boyfriend straight up? Wasn't he there when u bought the car ? If u dont know the diff between pinging and noisey lifters than take it to a mech that knows what they doing. ( sorry just venting i cranky at the misses ) seriously though did u give it an oil change or anything out of the norm. if u did it may be just not the best oil. what worries me if it is pinging it could stuff ur motor

Chill out Kenna802

My friend finally put the video on his youtube account.

sometimes the noise is louder and sometimes its not there at all

That does sound fairly weird, and no mine does not sound like that at all.

Would not drive the car until the day it was going to see the mechanic / tuner, just to be on the safe side(esp if its knocking).:thumbsup:

Edited by Shazza24

That vid isn't the car pinging, the engine isn't knocking at all, had a couple people say sounds mechanical. When I bought the car I had it pressure tested etc. The engine is all good. I'll take it very easy untill I get it tuned. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Ok, i will go out on a limb and say it is a belt/pulley or bearing. If not, please don't sue me?>_<

Personally, i have standard ECU and dislike piggy back controllers except for boost.

GL, tammy. When/if you find the problem post back here.

Edited by Shazza24

HAHA wont sue you, Ill tell my bf n see what he thinks about the belt/pulley.

Deff will update you with the problem/solution,

Hopefully mr tune man can rectify the problem for me when he tunes it :-)

We still haven't been able to figure out the problem. N e 1 else have any idea?

Not really, the video has poor sound and could mean anything.

You have to have your head under the bonnet to hear it properly.

My advice is, take it to a tuner now, have a major service and tune.

Go to EAS , Racepace or someone.

Expect $1000 +, it's all part of owning a performance machine.

I bet all your fuel maps are wrong , timing and more. You'll need a full dyno tune.

The GTS-T is a great car for the money, hence many owners choose to tune it themselves and f%*# it up.

Once it's tuned properly, it'll go like hell.

Get it done once and right.

When I bought my car, it dynoed 177 fwkw, less than stock, and it had hi-flow turbo, fuel pump and a Haltech E6K.

My first mechanic managed to get a little more out of it but tuned it too rich.

In the meantime, I was f$%#^%% my pistons.

Then I approached Tweakit in Sydney, they told me the bad news, said my fuel maps were all wrong etc.

Had to start from scratch, new base map and tune it from the ground.

He tuned it to 247 fwkw. Imagine the difference. It broke traction in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Anyway the damage was done from before and I cracked a piston crown in the middle of the night.

Options then are a used motor for $2500 plus install or go all out for a forged 3 litre bottom end.

If your engine is healthy like you say, look after it now and it will reward you.

Don't let yourself get into a position you can't afford to remedy.

What's after market in the car to be running a piggy back? take the ecu it and run it on the stock ecu.

The noise could be anything. Judging by location if say injectors but stock injectors won't be that noticeable. That video is poor. Get under the bonnet with a piece of hose in your ear and look for the found. You will hear it loudest through the hose when you found the source.

I could hardly hear anything in the video, all i could hear was a slight noise when u touched the throttle?

If thats the noise you mean then it just sounds like a noisy fuel pump.

Either way i agree with conan, get it to a decent mechanic and see what they say. If you really cant afford to go to a decent mechanic then atleast take it to a few of them to work out who knows what theyre talking about

Yeah its the noise after we touch the throttle, I Can afford to see a good mechanic just want to try have some idea what it is before we take it in.

SargeRX8, Not sure what it has LOL my bf knows all that. Ill ask him when i finished work and re post. Ill also tell him to record a better video for me.

Thanks guys

Your Car sounds like a transformer haha

I seriously doubt it is injectors but. Get outside the car with the bonnet up and take a video of the engine like that. The best way to find the problem sometimes is to just look and feel things. Obviously dont put your hand on anything spinning etc. But just putting your hand on something you might feel the vibration and be able to follow it to the problem etc

A friend said this to me, What does every1 recon?

"sounds a bit like a fuel pumpwould make sense kindafked fuel pump, not enough fuel pressure to the rail so car runs lean and pings"

you're gonna be up for an engine rebuild ...

Tammy, with this stuff you can't guess.

Just between you and me, don't listen to your bf as gospel.

He may have experience with GTRS, but it's your car.

The GTS-T deserves the same respect as any GTR believe me.

Tune it to the ragged edge and you will find it better than sex.

Regards..

if its a fuel pump youll hear it from the back rather then the engine bay...... If its just the stock pump it should be near silent if working properly. But if this noise is coming from the engine bay then its not the fuel pump..

I dont suppose the fuel reg could be partially blocked and making a strange noise? I dont think this would be it but just thinking along the lines of fuel at the moment