SAU Community

Hydraulic Lifters Noisy

I've just started having noisy hydraulic lifters. The car drives perfectly fine, it just suddenly started to gone noisy. I've pulled out all the inlet side lifters and they seems to be fine.

Yes I searched and found this:

http://ashspecz.com/Image%20Gallery/Lifter%20Rebuild/index.htm

but I'm having issues pulling them apart. Any one actually managed to rebuild them per those instructions?

Also could there be any thing else that would cause this issue? ie, oil pump and etc. any advise would be great.

Thanks.

PS. its stock RB25det with factory engine head

Edited by kwickr33

hey mate i stripped mine down few months ago and gave em a clean up. followed DIY that someone put up possibly same as the one you posted but i cracked 2. said to put on solid surface and hit the top but this dented the tops and cracked the sides.

the simple solution was to hold each lifter with index and ring fingers down the sides in the groove and middle finger over the top. then line it up square with a hard surface(i used an anvil) then give it a tap until you learn how much force it takes to pop them(actually not that much if the surface is solid enough). then gently with pliers pull out the barrel. also in the DIY i went off it said to put all the parts in tin of cleaner but i didnt want to mix them all up and i wasnt going to do this exersize for 24 days. so i used a fishing tackle kit which swelled up a bit but worked well. mine are still in same kit soaked in oil til i get round to putting it back together.

post-24655-0-96303800-1303577268_thumb.jpg

soaking in mineral spirits then i scrubbed them

post-24655-0-48012200-1303577341_thumb.jpg

all cleaned up then i filled container with oil

Thanks for the info. I managed to pull out all 23 of them except 1. I found that I didn't needed to tab them out. I Just pulled them apart used square head plyers.

How ever there is one that I can not pull it apart. The bit the the center press and spins, but regardless how hard I tab it or pull it I can not pull it apart. Would that be the faulty lifter?

I think new lifters are around the $100 a pop sort of mark... (X24)

the one that you can't get apart though, have you poked a pin into the ball on one end as you're pulling them apart? I found that a lot of them didn't need this, but some did. Once mine were all done and refilled with oil they wouldn't come apart unless pushing that ball in.

wait, reread your post. Have you got the telescoping part out of the middle yet? Or is it still as it was when it came out of the head?

Easy job once you get the hang of the first one how to take it apart and put it together. You just hit the lifter against a flat surface progressively harder unto you see it pop out then as others said pull it out with pliers. I found using a wooden table best as there wouldnt be any damage done to the lifter.

One other thing to keep in mind in the instructions it says when assembling them back together to try and push it together to get it in the circlip that is actually very hard to do what I did was easy way that took 5 sec. Make sure its lined up as says and put on flat table and push down from the top and it will click in no worries providing you have it lined up with the circlip.

yeah nissan want your first born for a set of lifters. this is from a while back.

Hi there mate

in the event that anyone wants to buy lifters for there rb25det, the link has them for 408 dollars for a set of 24

FYI the lifters are the same as a 300zx twin turbo Z32 model. 1990-1996. Hope this helps anyone thats in my situation. the part number is LIFD27 by Topline

:P:laugh:

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

the site seems to have changed a bit as i couldnt find a reference to rb25 but lifd27 is still there for 300xz turbo and n/a plus ca16de and ca18de for $17 each

Even at 17 each your still looking at a few hundred for a few set when cleaning them isnt to hard just get the hang of it. You only need to buy them if there completely seized or have to much play.

How much are new lifters?

I just bought a set of new ones from the states, i paid ~AU$12 each and $50 postage. Nissan wanted $140 each for them which is a joke.

these are the guys that i bought them from, their part number for them is "LIF 630"

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php

Don't buy them from these guys, i ordered a set through them and i never received all 16 (CA18)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lifter-NISSAN-CAR-2960-3-0L-DOHC-V6-VG30DETT-24V-Turbo-/290487861887?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a26d027f

Edited by D_Stirls

Just replace your engine oil with a diesel engine oil and run it (softly) for a few km's.. Diesel engine oil contains a detergent that will clean out the sludge that builds up in the lifters.

Just flush it through well after.

J.

Just replace your engine oil with a diesel engine oil and run it (softly) for a few km's.. Diesel engine oil contains a detergent that will clean out the sludge that builds up in the lifters.

Just flush it through well after.

J.

If there is enough sludge in there for it to be ticking loud this probably wont work as you will have to disassemble it to give it a real good clean inside, I get a tooth brush and get in there scrubbing it all out with gun wash then let them soak in it for a few hours.

Well its not that obvious with massive sludge coming out but just little builds up of sludge will make it not function properly and when you clean it out you wont see it cause it all gets mixed up in the oil and whatever cleaning agent you used.

After cleaning, the lifters they are still noisy.

Has any one attempted fitting a R34neo head on to R33 Rb25det? Also what would I need to get if I'm converting it into a solid lifting system.

Thanks.