SAU Community

Good Driving Roads Of Nsw

Neil

This is why you need a GTR... AWD = no chains. :P

While not required it is recommended. Last year (or the year before) some guy in a Subaru Forester decided to run out of skill and get stuck. Backed up traffic around Thredbo for nearly have a day

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I'm in the area to do the Alpine way. (Kosciusko national park)

I'm thinking of going soon, but is it going to be ok for skylines? It's not snowing there yet, but does anyone know what time of year you need chains? Obviously I won't bother if chains are needed.

I took my skyline down last year and drove it to the slopes 5 days in a row, i completely forgot about the chains rule and didn't have them. Wasn't an issue, gotta look out for the black ice though, problem is you cant see it, you'll know it when you hit it though. Just be sensible/don't be overly cocky and work your way up to it

I had no trouble though it was a NA r33, handled it all very well. something with more power would probably be a bit more of an issue, i just bought a 180sx and i nearly lost it in the wet the other day :S Still not used to the turbo haha. Wouldn't want to take it to the snow........... yet

• 2 weeks later...

Macquarie Pass, at 2am... Only problem during the day is the sunday drivers and the cityrail busses, Better to go up Jamberoo Mtn Rd its a bit sharper and steeper and no slowpokes....

Kangaroo Valley Rd

Kangaloon Rd

The Snowy river way, Ripper of a road and normally no traffic (everyone goes on the alpine)

There are heaps north that cross the Great dividing range most of which are just like the pass, a little less windy though....

• 2 weeks later...

The road from Goulburn to Oberon, one of the papers rated it as one of the top ten drives in nsw. There's a few rough spots but nice drive.

Is this suitable for low-lip cars Andrew?

The road from Goulburn to Oberon, one of the papers rated it as one of the top ten drives in nsw. There's a few rough spots but nice drive.

I've driven this road (in the opposite direction) a couple of times now and I can vouch for it be be a good way to spend a morning :)

Last weekend when I went it was sleeting a little around Oberon. While it wasn't an issue at the time I'd imagine great care should be taken as black ice may be an issue during winter.

Is this suitable for low-lip cars Andrew?

Never had any problems in my R33 or my friends NA6 MX-5, but we both have essentially standard suspension :P

• 5 weeks later...

Mc Carrs Creek Rd

Old Pacific Hwy

Galston Gorge

Ku-Ring-Gai Chase Rd (Bobbin Head)

(all pretty short cruzes)

Lakes Way ( i think) to Forster/Tuncurry

Bulladehla Mtn (fairly nth)

Putty Rd Rocks tho - that was so much fun !

i have done the putty rd cruise sweet road :worship:

Yep definitely watch out for those deer (at night mostly) down through the National park.

I'd add Bells Line of Rd from Richmond/Kurrajong to Bell / Mt Victoria.

Glad bells line of road was in here. Had to head out to bathurst from syd last weekend, what a ridiculously fun road that is! I was doing it in an '04 auto corolla too, with boot full of luggage and 2 passengers (plus driver) so it really struggled up some of the hills. But man, what a road. So much fun!

Haha yeah, my gf was telling me how the trip to Bathurst was a really easy 3 lane highway trip, not technical at all. She was pretty surprised (to say the least) to find out there was another way lol

• 2 weeks later...

Heya all :)

I drove to Jenolan Caves yesterday for a caving trip and took the GTR out as I remember the roads being kinda fun. Well damn was I right!!

Jenolan Caves Rd from the Great Western Highway is awesome. Very open, easy to drive at speed with relative safety and the roads aren't that bad at all (I run TEIN Super Streets on 18s)

It's a big boring drive along the highway to get there, but for a nice day trip with the missus, I strongly suggest taking the 'fast car' out for a blat ;)

Also, Hawkesbury Rd at Yarramundi. My fave local hillclimb!! I've never had a car stick with me, even when I had the bridgeport RX3, and the GTR is even faster up there. Willing to accept any challengers :)

Mark!!

I drove to Jenolan Caves yesterday for a caving trip and took the GTR out as I remember the roads being kinda fun. Well damn was I right!!

Jenolan Caves Rd from the Great Western Highway is awesome. Very open, easy to drive at speed with relative safety and the roads aren't that bad at all (I run TEIN Super Streets on 18s)

It's a big boring drive along the highway to get there, but for a nice day trip with the missus, I strongly suggest taking the 'fast car' out for a blat ;)

Also, Hawkesbury Rd at Yarramundi. My fave local hillclimb!! I've never had a car stick with me, even when I had the bridgeport RX3, and the GTR is even faster up there. Willing to accept any challengers :)

Mark!!

Hahaha id love to give it a go, Its an unreal little bit of windy road that one. Jenolan caves road is also a lot of fun, went down with the missus once in the r33, which was actually a bad idea, she doesnt approve of how i drive sometimes :whistling: didnt get to make the most of it!

I think the road into megalong valley in Blackheath is also really nice, minus the excessively windy bit at the top which i smashed my front lip on :(. The newly sealed part is excellent though!

• 2 weeks later...

Mark!!

Two of my favourites right there.:thumbsup: Normally on my GSXR 1000 though; I'm up for a challenge...:ninja:

Also Shooters Hill Rd, Just off Duckmaloi Rd or follow Caves Rd on the other side of Jenolan; Oberon to Taralga.:cheers:

I think I know your GTR; Gunmetal with sizeable blue anodised brakes? Saw you leave Valley Heights BP in the wet a few weeks back.

Two of my favourites right there.:thumbsup: Normally on my GSXR 1000 though; I'm up for a challenge...:ninja:

Also Shooters Hill Rd, Just off Duckmaloi Rd or follow Caves Rd on the other side of Jenolan; Oberon to Taralga.:cheers:

I think I know your GTR; Gunmetal with sizeable blue anodised brakes? Saw you leave Valley Heights BP in the wet a few weeks back.

Heya DALEO :)

GSXR vs GTR at Yarramundi would be interesting to see how far ahead you were with those tight corners. Jenolan Caves Rd SEX-R vs GTR, why bother!! Hahahaaa You'd be gaaawn in 30sec :(

Yup, that's my car :) You local?? I'm 5mins down the mountain from that servo.

Mark :)

Heya DALEO :)

GSXR vs GTR at Yarramundi would be interesting to see how far ahead you were with those tight corners. Jenolan Caves Rd SEX-R vs GTR, why bother!! Hahahaaa You'd be gaaawn in 30sec :(

Yup, that's my car :) You local?? I'm 5mins down the mountain from that servo.

Mark :)

Lol, Yarramundi would be tough; especially the top few bumpy corners, need a bit more room to wind up the bike. The GTR would be all over that! :thumbsup:. A motard would be unstoppable up there...

Yeah, I'm at Faulco, if you see a Black M35 Stagea; that's me.:cheers:

I've travelled Bathurst to Goulburn and return once a fortnight for the last four years, always go via shooters hill Rd. Not sure if I've gotten bored of it once yet.

Edited by headwithbeard