SAU Community

Good Driving Roads Of Nsw

Neil

Just north of Newcastle past Raymond Terrace, Buckets Way through Gloucester, Walcha/Uralla. Then you're close enough to Armidale or Tamworth. Long drive. No traffic. Bendy bits and open bits http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

I don't like Old Pac. Too busy and not enough visibility.

Did this again recently, awesome drive, had it mostly to myself, lots of fun. Road is in a terrible state, best avoided if you have rock hard setup. Debating if I will go this way home.

Yup, family have a property halfway between Stroud and Gloucester. Road has been terrible for more than 2 decades.

Going up the bIg hills outside Gloucester is fun.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Macquarie pass up to the pie shop, down through jamberoo mountain road, down to Kiama and then along to Berry. From Berry through Kangaroo Valley Road and up Moss Vale Road into Bowral.

Only got through the first two sections and then mates car broke down, but was very good road. Need to go early to avoid traffic.

Mount Keira Rd is also very good.

• Like 2

Awesome thread, I absolutely believe that motor vehicles encapsulate all that is brilliant about the human spirit - the engineering, the style, the passion.

However, it's depressing to see the older posts talking about open roads in good condition and with little traffic and hassle from the police, when these days speed limits have been dropped to artificially low levels and police and cameras have a stronger presence than ever. It's only going to get worse, unfortunately.

My 2 cents to add about the roads - Putty Road is great if you like open road and cruising - frankly i got bored and found it a waste of fuel (except for one tiny section with the bends).

Used to live right on Bells Line of Road, the Bellbird Hill section is GREAT but really short, and there is traffic nearly around the clock, especially weekends.

Old Pac between Hornsby up to Central Coast was the best fun I've had on the road, ever. I was flooring it, but i wasn't going hard in corners and kept it will within my limits.

I want to try Royal Nasho, but there has been a heavy police presence as I understand recently. Few absolute n00bs have been driving beyond their limits and crashing too (mostly s-chassis it seems! lol)

Would love to hear anyone else chime in with recent road reports

The problem with Old Pac and Nasho, is that they are mostly 60km/h in the fun bits, so "spirited driving" and police presence will almost certainly result in a significant fine. That and the ubiquitous steady stream of near stationary Camry's "sightseeing"...

I'm over driving on those roads in search of fun. There are plenty of awesome roads on the other side of the dividing range, or down south is where I choose to ride and drive.

Not as many coffee shops, and you can't be precious about stone chips and low lips; but a solid pub meal and a cold beer in front of a roaring fire will be your reward.

• Like 1

Macquarie Pass seemed to have got more and more popular with NSW sightseers, causing a lot more police presence.

Yes, the ones where they drive around in first until the overtaking lanes, where they gun it.

Don't know any other good roads. Haven't done National Park in years, but the surface was typical Sydney shit so avoid it. Mac pass is smooth, excellent driving road.

Macquarie pass up to the pie shop, down through jamberoo mountain road, down to Kiama and then along to Berry. From Berry through Kangaroo Valley Road and up Moss Vale Road into Bowral.

Only got through the first two sections and then mates car broke down, but was very good road. Need to go early to avoid traffic.

Mount Keira Rd is also very good.

This is a full day of driving and well worth it (from Sydney).

Just to recap...

* Up Macquarie Pass (from Albion Park) to the pie shop

* Down Jamberoo Mtn Road (from the pie shop) to Kiama and then proceed south

* Up Kangaroo Valley Road (from Berry) to Kangaroo Valley

* Down Cambewarra Mountain along Nowra Rd to Bomaderry and turn left to Sydney (keeping watch for several fixed speed cameras)

OR turn right through Kangaroo Valley township towards Bowral

• Like 3

My favorite routes

Nasho through Heathcoat road but get on at Waterfall (not full run) as I'm sure thousands have said though there is plenty of cops and plenty of animals.

Recently discovered old pac which is a great run

My all time favorite run will forever

Bells line of road, across Darling Causeway and back down to the M4 or in reverse starting at the M4 and going up then across and back down

There is a great place on the way up Bells line called apple bar which is a great place to stop in.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 31/10/2014 at 0:59 PM, GTR-N1 said:

Mitchells Pass Rd Blaxland to Emu Heights, now has armco nearly all the way down.

Still no speed sign on the eastern side of Lennox Bridge.

The 6 existing speed humps before the bridge are now taller/lumpier.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Did a run with a group of car enthusiasts from FB, Sydney to Mt Panorama, via Oberon, was the best day of GTR ownership, tops anything else I’ve done with the car, left home at 5am, didn’t get back home till 5pm. Amazing run with a fantastic group of people and the GTR was flawless. Was such a rewarding drive, car did everything I asked of it, with ease.
Did almost 500km of driving that day, car was E85 only, used 1 x tank and 30 litres from Jerry cans. 

A52C8BD8-D8B6-4CFA-BEE3-45A6F6092E55.jpeg

BEC6F8AA-EF30-4A68-B7B2-B16DF47CB91F.jpeg

1FA2D25D-C1A1-4019-AD4B-3B04ED95F7A8.jpeg

23124E43-6D9B-4A6D-BD87-92EAE795D584.jpeg

6CECFD25-D9FF-4510-A29F-29F6B1E9483D.jpeg

0FBFC97B-32FE-4DD9-AB3D-85E64CC6BC61.jpeg

B954FAA4-4417-4C60-BCF4-47E68B479394.jpeg

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Bells line is usually my go to for a blast and unwind, but watch out for the native fauna - I had an issue last weekend when I tried to install a non-genuine Mitsubishi wombat into my Legnum VR-4. If you've ever wanted to know the fastest way to jack up a vehicle - hitting a wombat at 80kph is probably it.

Split the front bar & felt it batter the floor-pan & undercarriage. Thought it was a boulder or log at first - doubled back to find out and was astounded to see it was actually a marsupial. Happened in east Bilpin - about 40k west I encountered another one but someone else had nailed him. He was still twitching so I went back to the car for my baton and finished the job.

Just a reminder that speed doesn't only kill those of us driving - but sometimes also the creatures that co-exist among us.