SAU Community

Which Turbos Should I Get For My Standard R33 Gtr?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grant. As good of a result that people have good power with stock dumps...there would have to be more to be made with a larger... Ie tomei, midori dump pipe.

Best street combination for stock motor IMHO, much better than -7s.

Bollocks :nyaanyaa: A *little* better than -7s when you're over 300kws otherwise SFA difference.

I'm 305kw @17psi with -7s.

OP;

- turbos are key part of the equation, no sense in getting -5s just because they're cheaper. You get them if you want 380kws. For 300 they're a bad choice.

- if you're ever going to do dumps, do them now, but you could just as well not bother. If you look at cost/benefit, -7s without dumps will be much better than -5s with dumps for around the same cost.

- when i checked pricing, -7s were $400 cheaper for the pair than -9s with new actuators. Dont use old actuators....

- you're thinking about cams (waste) but maybe buying -5s to save a little money? That doesn't make sense. You need to let us know how tight the money is and what results you want.

Option 1 - 280kw - cheap; -7s, cam gears, stock dumps, injectors, AFMs

Option 2 - 330kw - medium; -9s, cam gears, 550 injectors, nismo AFMs

Option 3 - 380kw - exxy; -5s, cam gears, 700 injectors, nismo AFMs, dumps, oh and BUILT MOTOR and gearbox upgrade to keep 3rd gear in one piece....

And Nismoid's exhaust rule;

300kw = 3 in

350kw = 3.5 in

400kw = 4 in

Grant. As good of a result that people have good power with stock dumps...there would have to be more to be made with a larger... Ie tomei, midori dump pipe.

True, but kinda pointless if you only want 300rwkw or so, which I've done with success before.

But next time I may go for a pair of a/m dumps and see if it make any difference.

To much MrStabby thats uesfull stuff

Lets say your running 300kw on -9s and the engine goes after a year,then a rebuild is taken place, forged bottom end.and you wanna run 400kw that means you gotta buy -5s and sell of your -9 in away your loseing money ?so is it better of to get -5s striaght away?

its basically the same thing

the nismo is z32 hotwire inside 65mm shell

the z32 is 80mm z32 airflow meter

so more or less the same

but in a twin setup the twin nismos will give you more resolution in low load area as the snout is smaller

Lets say your running 300kw on -9s and the engine goes after a year,then a rebuild is taken place, forged bottom end.and you wanna run 400kw that means you gotta buy -5s and sell of your -9 in away your loseing money ?so is it better of to get -5s striaght away?

I'd buy -9s and enjoy while it's there.

Buy -5s when the motor is out, people still will buy -9s even if used.

Pretty sure Ash will say the same.

Hey R33GTRNZ i think we;re on the same boat im from NZ to,im after a pair of -9s,was looking at some 2nd hand N1 turbos might be the cheaper option,i do wanna run 400kw but not with the stock motor and also dont wanna rebuild a perfect running engine :rant:

Edited by nitestage32

To much MrStabby thats uesfull stuff

Depends on what you want and stuff mate.

Nothing wrong with running -9s on a built motor. It'll make a solid 330rwkw, be responsive as all buggery and be an absolute street weapon. So if thats all you want then you'll not need to change turbos!

I've got 370rwkw now with -5s... I'd rather the response of -9s and 330-340rwkw. Admittedly I'm running less boost on the -5s than i could but response is king for a street car and makes it so much nicer to drive.

I don't dislike my -5 setup. However nothing really happens until 150km/h where the -9s were much more exciting between 60-150km/h