SAU Community

Heat Shield Touching Manifold

i have just put a 3540 and chinese stainless manifold on my 33, the problem i have is that the top of the manifold is so close to the cross over pipe that it is heating up a lot, i bought some acl heat shield and made a heat shield, the problem is that at some points the clearance is so small that the heat shield is hard up against the manifold, have been told that doing this makes the heat shield pointless because now its just going to transfer the heat to it and the heat will just come off the heat shield instead, any one have any idea how true this is, i used the acl heat heat shield because its meant to be the best you can get, its two layers of alloy with a layer of ceramic in between them.

Shouldn't matter depending on material.

It'll just get hotter than usual and might warp a bit and be mindful early on and check etc.

You are right though, it will pass the heat through. But if it's only a small section then it's better than nothing would be the view i'd take.

I ran my GTS-R manifold without a shield... Wasn't a good idea. Stuff was VERY hot lol, even went brown in some places.

I have only driven it a couple of times to have stuff done before i get it tuned, last time i opened the bonnet and could not keep my hand on the cross over pipe it was so hot!

The manifold only touch's in two locations which are both on the turbo side away from the cross over pipe, hopefully it will be enough to keep the intake temps down.

why dont you use heat wrap? this will cut down heat transfer between the 2 metals by alot and prolly would eliminate the use of the heat shield?

1) Because i didnt think it would be this bad when i put the manifold on.

2) It is a chinese copy so i was a little worried about keeping that much heat in there.

3) The runners are very close together and would have been hard to wrap properly.

This is a pic of the manifold that mine is a copy of, runners are very tight.

hpimanrb4-01.jpg