SAU Community

When Is A Oil Cooler Needed?

Hey guys im new to SAU,ive been looking/googleing for some information about oil coolers but still not enough out infor,SO at what power is the oil cooler required?i guess it all depends on what application its uesed for track/drag/street.

and how much xtra oil is needed if a oil cooler is installed?

if a oil cooler is installed will it take longer for the engine to warm up is it bad?Does it need xtra time to warm up?

Im more aiming at street an 1-2 track days a year running 400kw.

Is a oil cooler needed for a 400kw gtr street driver..

Might get the odd street drag every now and again :D

cheers

Edited by nitestage32

wouldnt need one for the street.. and if you do fit one and street it, get a proper thermostatically controlled one.

+1

If you are even doing one track day/yr, oil cooler is paramount however.

How much extra oil depends on all the other factors like cooler size, mounting, lines etc. Only way is to do.

Hey guys im new to SAU,ive been looking/googleing for some information about oil coolers but still not enough out infor,SO at what power is the oil cooler required?i guess it all depends on what application its uesed for track/drag/street.

and how much xtra oil is needed if a oil cooler is installed?

if a oil cooler is installed will it take longer for the engine to warm up is it bad?Does it need xtra time to warm up?

Im more aiming at street an 1-2 track days a year running 400kw.

Is a oil cooler needed for a 400kw gtr street driver..

Track + 400kw means you will need one if you want to be out there for any length of time. Street and drag are ok without it. Some kits go in front of the radiator (eg the HKS kit i'm using) which is less effective. With that much power you'll want to have it in front of the front wheel using the openings under the headlight to get a good flow of cool air through the core.

Not that much extra oil, maybe a litre?

Doubt you could find better for the money.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/357901-hel-thermostatic-oil-cooler-kit-group-buy/

And as others have said. Thermostat is a must for street use. And at 400kw I wouldn't even go out on the track without an oil cooler, especially if you live in a hot climate area.