SAU Community

Hks Cam Pulley Adjustment

hey guys,

My hks cam pulleys havent been adjusted yet, so I am considering to adjust them a bit if it's actually worth the effort? And what is the best possible timing to gain high end power?

it's an '94 r32 gtr, 555cc injectors, hks induction kit, full 3inch exhaust, running .75 bar boost.

I've read some topics with random people saying advance intake side 4 deg, and retard exhaust side 2 deg. but I need someone who's got some experience with this before I get into trouble. :)

Best way to gain power...add another couple of PSI

No real point playing with cam timing for more top end if you still have room to move in a) boost pressure and b) the tune

yes very worthwhile mod as rb26 responds very well to it, will set u back a couple hundred but u will notice the difference, esp midrange

okay, But how much degrees do I have to adjust the pulleys? I hear people saying advance 4degr. intake side and retard exhaust side by 2 degrees is this correct?

Is there a point where you can go too far?...as in to do damage?

I see most ppl go a max of 4* either retard(ex) or adv(in)....is it just coincidence that all rb26 doesnt make gains after this or is it just a rule of thumb not to go more than this??

Go all the way to 20 degrees and pistons will hit the valves, depends on the engine and how it responds, but if you go too far adjusting it without a dyno it will be worse than 0.

theory wise, exhaust side, retarding the cam will improve low down to mid as the combustion cycle will have more pressure and as the exhaust valves close up earlier, but will lose top end. If you want more top end, advance the cam gear which will allow the motor to breathe at high RPM.

IMO, top end power is overrated :rolleyes:

Saying that, if you're planning on using Poncams, Procams don't waste your time with cam gears or the like.

do I have to re-adjust the CAS with timing light after the cam gear is adjusted on the dyno? Or can I just mark the CAS and re-install the same way?

Also 1 degree at the cam pulley would be 2 degrees at the crank, so in what degrees are we talking about advancing intake side 4 degrees? is that crank or cam degrees?