SAU Community

Bull Bar On A Stagea?

ian

I've just shifted into a new house (Yes! Off street parking for more cars! :-) ) and one of the things I'm going to want to do is get long bits of pipe home (light weight plastic). I've been using a borrowed ute for the last few days - and one of the nice things it had was a bull bar at the front with slots in it for a piece to go up to the roof level. So you could put something long up on three points - the back of the tray, the front of the tray, and the front of the car.

I want to be able to do the same with my stagea! Years ago I made something for the towbar that went up to the roof - which was good for things up to about 4m or so, as you attached long things to the towbar bit, then the back roof rack, then the front roof rack. But now I need to be able to do 6m stuff...

Has anyone put a bull bar on their stagea?? I found this post http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/225687-so-how-does-a-stagea-drift/page__p__3978775__hl__bull+bar__fromsearch__1#entry3978775 from 3 years ago, but no more details were provided.

Anyone? (and yes, I know you are all shuddering.. But my stagea isn't my have fun car, it's my carry the crap car.. :-) )

Ian

I had a look through the front grill (duh...:-) ) at it's pretty obvious where you attach it as the stage was obviously made to take a bull bar as not only doe it have the mounting points but also the holes for the bolts! I hadn't realized this, as my skyline certainly doesn't...

Give that, I'm probably going to weld up my own thingy, I'll put some pictures up when I do.. Now all I have to work out is how to get the front bumper off so I can measure it all up properly, I'll start undoing all the obvious screws this weekend.. :-)

Ian

nah, that isn't how airbags work. There is nothing you could do at the front of your car that would impact the air bags..

Err... Sorry mate... It is how they work... That is why there is the big hoo haa with airbag bull bars for Patrols, LandCruisers and the like...

There has to be enough energy getting though to the crash sensors in order for them to know that the car is crashing and so deploy the airbags.. When airbags were first fitted to large, aftermarket bull bar equipped 4x4's there were some horrific incidents where people were killed or badly injured because the airbags did not deploy during a frontal crash..

ARB website info about air bags

Have a good think about it before you do anything too drastic.. :thumbsup:

Err... Sorry mate... It is how they work... That is why there is the big hoo haa with airbag bull bars for Patrols, LandCruisers and the like...

There has to be enough energy getting though to the crash sensors in order for them to know that the car is crashing and so deploy the airbags.. When airbags were first fitted to large, aftermarket bull bar equipped 4x4's there were some horrific incidents where people were killed or badly injured because the airbags did not deploy during a frontal crash..

I stand corrected, even if it doesn't make much sense to me theoretically..:-) In my case it doesn't ,matter as what I'll have at the front won't make any difference to the crash profile anyway.

In addition, I think it is pretty clear that the stagea was designed to have one - the mounts are all there and even have the bolt holes pre drilled..

Thanks for the info

Ian