SAU Community

Hicas Light Again

Hi guys, problem again with my hicas, now it started couple months ago, here and there, now all of a sudden, if I drive it up the shop it's fine, but as soon as I go start it again at the shop the light comes on, seems to be everytime I turn it off and then back on. I have to leave the car a little while and it seems to go away, used to be couple miniutes, now seems longer. Before anyone says search it, I have, doesn't really sum up the problem though. Anyone else have an idea how to deal with it, or anyone know somewhere on Brisbane northside I can get a lockout bar put on so I don't have it anymore. Thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

A lock bar may only solve the problem if the cause is located in the hyd circut concearned, what if it's electrical? or located in pump, sticking valve which in turn causing cavation in pump, could be many causes.

Cant you do a test on it?

try the turn wheel and tap brake peddel thing ,this causes the hicus to do a self test the rear wheels move and all by them selves, when the hicus computer does self test then light on dash flashes a code to tell you if it's found something.

don't ask how, to much info to try and pass on here get/have alook in manual on how to do it and the codes are there also.

Ive done this and it does work its interesting to watch your car moveabout buy its self.

good luck

A lock bar may only solve the problem if the cause is located in the hyd circut concearned, what if it's electrical? or located in pump, sticking valve which in turn causing cavation in pump, could be many causes.

Cant you do a test on it?

try the turn wheel and tap brake peddel thing ,this causes the hicus to do a self test the rear wheels move and all by them selves, when the hicus computer does self test then light on dash flashes a code to tell you if it's found something.

don't ask how, to much info to try and pass on here get/have alook in manual on how to do it and the codes are there also.

Ive done this and it does work its interesting to watch your car moveabout buy its self.

good luck

All well and good except that R33's have electronic HICAS so it wont be a hyd problem......

more details about the car? Does it have an aftermarket steering wheel?

The diagnostic mode is done by starting the car, turning the wheel left and right 5 times, tapping the brake pedal twice and driving forward about 5-10m and tapping the brake pedal once more (pretty sure thats the full procedure anyway)

Mine would throw up the HICAS light when I Travelled above 80km/h for more then 15mins or so, because I had my steering wheel boss kit on wrong and it wasnt engaging the steering angle sensor properly (Had to much play is the best way to describe it)

Is there anything youve done to the car lately?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok my mistake no hydrulic circuit.

So does the electrical version have the same capability to self test?.

Edited by nobby

• 3 weeks later...

My light came on today after being on the highway for about half an hour at 100kmh but i had no loss of steering. The car has an aftermarket steering wheel with a stupid boss kit and i find it does have quite alot of play so my +1 for dodgy fitment of boss kit.