SAU Community

Automotive Apprenticeship

FUR33US

I'm really interested in starting an Automotive Apprenticeship, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any performance workshops in Perth which might be taking on new apprentices.

I've tried so many different workshops, but they all have apprentices already.

Could someone please give me a list of some performance workshops?

Thanks! :)

I'm really interested in starting an Automotive Apprenticeship, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any performance workshops in Perth which might be taking on new apprentices.

I've tried so many different workshops, but they all have apprentices already.

Could someone please give me a list of some performance workshops?

Thanks! :)

Unless your 15 dont do it.

Wait until your mature age so you don't get shafted.

$6.80 p/h for first years under 21 pinch.gif

too be honest ya better off going through a car dealership like nissan mitsubishi etc for the first couple years

I know i wouldn't like a green apprentice working on my import/performance car

Unless your 15 dont do it.

Wait until your mature age so you don't get shafted.

$6.80 p/h for first years under 21 pinch.gif

i wouldnt wanna be 21+ earning $12 an hour!

but i do agree i did a 4year apprenticeship now im qualified and im only 19. i wouldnt bother unless i was 18 or under, the award rate has gone up to around $7.50 i think for a 1st year, 2nd is $9-$10, 3rd year is around $12-$13, and 4th is $15 something an hour but thats the minimum wage.

these days apprentices get a lot more then they did a year ago, u get like 4 or 6 grand all up to spend on tools, when i did mine it was only 800 straight up (tool voucher only) then 500 every 6 months (about 3 times i think)

I did 2 years of a 4 year mechanical apprenticeship on the old $800 for tools and $500 every 6 months for the first 2 years. I started when I was 19 and was the best and the worst at the same time lol.

If you start as a mature age you will start on like $15 an hour at least. That's enough to not die at least and still afford your car repayment ;)

If you want perks go with a Dealership but you'll be "servicing" batteries for at least a year and you may get an oil change or a coolant flush in. I went with an independent Euro Garage and well, you do as much as you are able to handle. I was changing suspension on my second day (with the guidance of the tech of course).

In all honesty though, if you are in any way influenced by how much money you earn - mechanics is best left to monkeys unless you plan on running your own shop.

Just my 2 cents

If you REALLY want to be a mechanic (and think about it long and hard, cos its not for everyone!) then getting a job at a small independant place is the best place to start. You learn so much more then at a dealership. My first job on my very first day was helping a tech do a head on a Nissan S-Cargo! You get experience in a vast variety of cars, and learn just how shit Holdens really are! :P I worked at a small place in Malaga for a year, now work for Mazda. Mazda is great, much easier, but you dont learn as much as I did when I worked in Malaga.

Having said that, as soon as I'm qualified I'm getting the f**k out of there cos I HATE this industry! But like I said before, if you're made for it, then its a great career. I work with a few blokes who I know will work as a mechanic for years and years, yet at least 50% of my tafe class will quit within the first 5 years.

Finally, you dont want to start out at a performance workshop. Think a normal mechanic workshop is stressful? Performance is soooooo much worse...

good advice is the key i have been a mechanic for over 9 years, did my apprentiship with M.I.T.A. and worked for a nissan dealership.

I learnt all the basics with maintain a vehicle there then went chasing the coin up north working for rio tinto in one of there light vehicle workshops

it dosnt mater where you do your apprentiship because every car is different and they all have there problems

But you need to leran how a motor works before you can build a performance engine or anything like that and the best place to keep up with the tech side of the game is to work in a dealership because they invest millions of dollars in to there vehicles

If you REALLY want to be a mechanic (and think about it long and hard, cos its not for everyone!) then getting a job at a small independant place is the best place to start. You learn so much more then at a dealership. My first job on my very first day was helping a tech do a head on a Nissan S-Cargo! You get experience in a vast variety of cars, and learn just how shit Holdens really are! :P I worked at a small place in Malaga for a year, now work for Mazda. Mazda is great, much easier, but you dont learn as much as I did when I worked in Malaga.

Having said that, as soon as I'm qualified I'm getting the f**k out of there cos I HATE this industry! But like I said before, if you're made for it, then its a great career. I work with a few blokes who I know will work as a mechanic for years and years, yet at least 50% of my tafe class will quit within the first 5 years.

Finally, you dont want to start out at a performance workshop. Think a normal mechanic workshop is stressful? Performance is soooooo much worse...

Rhys, you really hate working in the industry don't you? What are you looking into next... an office job?