SAU Community

R34 Gtt Neo – Fuel Pump Direct Feed Rewire

I don't think that will be doing anything, but I'm not totally sure how these controllers work. I would think that an earth is an earth, so splicing into that wire and earthing it again wouldn't do anything in my mind.

Ok, so i re-grounded it, and it works better.

However!!!

I have realised that whenever i get to about a quarter (or below) of fuel, my car won't bloody start up. Took me so long to get it to fire up.

I turn the key ON and i hear the relay click, which means the problem is between the relay and the pump, correct?

The strainer that came with the walbro pump is quite a bit shorter than the original stock one. Was I supposed to re-use the stock strainer, or use the provided one?

Why I ask, is that I believe that the strainer I'm using sits a lot higher than the original one, and therefore is not "straining" any fuel because it won't reach the fuel down the bottom of the tank when i get low. When i crank the engine at low fuel level, I can hear the pump trying to do something, but the car just won't fire up.

Yeh when you install it you should hold the new pump next to the old pump in the cradle and try to get it to sit in exactly the same place with the strainer in the same place. I am using the little short sock, but I don't have any problems with fuel pick up.

I don't know how much that has to do with your starting issues though. If your pump isn't sitting in the fuel then your car isn't going to start no matter how many times you crank it. Try pulling the entry hose (the one coming from the fuel filter) to the rail off and priming the pump for a quick second. If any fuel comes out then you know that the starting issue isn't because of the fuel pump not sitting in the fuel.

I have the pump sitting in the same position as stock, but the sock itself doesn't reach as low as the stock one.

I filled up my tank today and it starts up fine after i prime the pump so I won't be able to test the fuel filter hose removal until it happens again i guess :\

Postie wire?

Could be a couple of things with that voltage. Firstly the pump may not have been rewired. You better trace all the wiring and see where it goes. Shouldn't be hard, you should have some decent sized (8ga minimum) cable running from the battery to a relay somewhere. Which leads to the second possibility. If the previous owner has rewired the pump but hasn't used sufficiently sized cable, you could be getting a considerable volt drop between the battery and the pump. In which case you should rewire it all again properly. You could also have a poor earth, but I doubt that will be the case.

If you're unsure, take some photos of the wiring and fuel pump area and I'll try to help you out :thumbsup:

3 black and yellow wires going into one black and yellow wire leading into the fuel pump.

yeh i noticed 3 positive wires, which merge into 1 which go to the fuel pump. I cut the single wire closest to the fuel pump, and didn't touch the 3 separate black and yellow wires.

How do remove the bracket that holds the fuel pump ? Or do just pull on fuel pump and it comes off ?

all you have to do is rich into the fuel tank after you take the assembly off the top, and pull it up and out. The pump assembly just slides onto a mount inside the fuel tank, so no need to use any tools.

• 4 months later...

I cannot stress the importance of doing this, recently upgraded to a Walbro GSS342 using the stock wiring and the car drove like poo and stalled on me a few times. After the wiring upgrade it's all back to normal :)

• 7 months later...

Installed my walbro gss342 pump and re/wired. Took her round the block for a spin and she loves it ?? tho I can't hear any buzzing noise? And She seems to be running correctly? Relays clicking and all.

I don't hear mine unless I've been driving around for a while.

And even then, it's only when i dont have music in the car lol.

You'll notice it when you're in the garage though (well i do) :)

As long as it's all working, then no worries!

• 1 month later...

I don't hear mine unless I've been driving around for a while.

And even then, it's only when i dont have music in the car lol.

You'll notice it when you're in the garage though (well i do) :)

As long as it's all working, then no worries!

Late reply but yeah since IV installed it I have had no dramas what so ever :)

• 5 years later...
On 9/19/2020 at 6:40 PM, dyl33 said:

just to clarify because Step 11. is confusing

The negative wire gets cut, fuel pump end goes to chassis earth.

The other end ecu, goes to pin 86?

Becuase step 11 says tape/cap off ecu end???

Like this

1382534415_images(1).jpeg.bd4e5e49b9944c70320884074b97995f.jpeg

Hey Dylan,

The Green/White from the ECU remains cut/taped off. The Green/White from the Fuel Pump is to be connected to the 8GA Black Negative Cable and the remaining pin (86) is also to be connected to the 8GA Black Negative Cable. I used a piggy back connector on the Fuel Pump Negative Green/White to the 8GA Black Negative Cable so I could connect the remaining pin (86) to the piggy back connector (Green/White Fuel Pump to 8GA Black Negative Cable) to be grounded. I recommend using the negative battery terminal.

I hope this further explanation makes sense. I can provide a photo of my wiring if you are still unsure.

Piggyback Spade: https://www.jaycar.com.au/piggy-back-female-spade-red-pkt-8-self-sealing-quick-connectors/p/PT4810

Edited by Ravskie