SAU Community

Lowering Rev Limiter?

My car currently has the rev limiter tuned at 7500 and its a stock rb25 bottom end on e85 I was just thinking since the car is used for drifting and it spends alot of time bounching of the limiter would it help if I set the limiter back down to 7000?

instead of dropping the rev limiter, try dropping 2~3 degrees on the ignition map as it approaches the rev limiter, making the power drop so it won't smash the limiter.

Do a map trace when your car is on the track, and work out which row it dives into, around 6800 -> 7600 just shave off like 3 degrees. It's not the revs that kills the motor, it's more of the power to no power that kills it. Same way it's not speed that kills it's the change (if you know what I am talking about)

Don't waste you're money taking it to a tuner, taking off ignition timing isn't rocket science.

Retarding it at limiter just makes it a little less violent right? but the fact remains that its still goes on to off to on still which isnt good

I have set my limiter at 8000 and have a audible alarm set at 7000 so i shift when i hear it beep...also the timing from 7600 up is very retarded so if it does get to the limiter its not as violent and as a matter o fact i dont think i ever did

I rather swing to 10000 than hit the limiter :thumbsup:

Should be simple enough to set to 7k, just get it done properly the first time by a good tuner, being E85 you don't want to break things by doing it on the cheap.

:ermm:

anyway as stated, leave it at 7500, pull timing from 7000 - and just dont hold your foot to the floor!

Retarding it at limiter just makes it a little less violent right? but the fact remains that its still goes on to off to on still which isnt good

I have set my limiter at 8000 and have a audible alarm set at 7000 so i shift when i hear it beep...also the timing from 7600 up is very retarded so if it does get to the limiter its not as violent and as a matter o fact i dont think i ever did

I rather swing to 10000 than hit the limiter :thumbsup:

Correct, a little less violent is not really true, more like a lot less violent.. You will notice the car won't shudder as much, and it won't violently bash the limiter. It will "gracefully" hit the limiter once maybe twice and seem to sit on the revs instead of bouncing back and forth

I had my 100% internally stock RB25DET's limiter set at 7600 rpm, but from 6800rpm timing dropped 3 degrees, so row 16, column 17 was something like 12 9 8 7 . People say it will backfire blah blah and throw out exhaust turbines, that's rubbish, as long as you're A/F remain constant even after the timing drop no wokkas!

Also great for flat shifting hehehe

Correct, a little less violent is not really true, more like a lot less violent.. You will notice the car won't shudder as much, and it won't violently bash the limiter. It will "gracefully" hit the limiter once maybe twice and seem to sit on the revs instead of bouncing back and forth

I had my 100% internally stock RB25DET's limiter set at 7600 rpm, but from 6800rpm timing dropped 3 degrees, so row 16, column 17 was something like 12 9 8 7 . People say it will backfire blah blah and throw out exhaust turbines, that's rubbish, as long as you're A/F remain constant even after the timing drop no wokkas!

Also great for flat shifting hehehe

However my tuner set up my limiter on the v44 ECU, he's done it spot on. When I hit the limiter, it's not like I'm hitting a brick wall (like it is when I hit my overboost limiter), it sounds a bit weird but it's like the engine just stopped building revs all of a sudden. Love it.

Ignition retard on rev limiters has nothing to do with reducing the accelleration of the engine its more to do with reducing knock and or spurious ignition events on the limiter due to noisy crankangle signals. If you want a proper soft limiter get an electronic throttle and and close it like some manufacturers do.

2-3degrees ignition retard - depending upon the engine will really only remove 5-10% of the power.

Mine is around 5* retard on the limiter column and the column after....didnt really see the need to do it on the column before??

Anyway as i said, i have never been on the limiter so i really dont know how it will respond......i'll take your word for it :cheers:

Ye it's definitely what happens mate.

Mine does the same thing if I'm not paying attention. It'll only tap the limiter once/twice in a 1-2 secs. Wont flat out sit on it.

Almost feels similar to the 180km/h speed cut on factory ECU's in some skylines except it cuts back in quicker

However my tuner set up my limiter on the v44 ECU, he's done it spot on. When I hit the limiter, it's not like I'm hitting a brick wall (like it is when I hit my overboost limiter), it sounds a bit weird but it's like the engine just stopped building revs all of a sudden. Love it.

It's because we have a soft cut and hard cut limiter option. Makes it a lot less aggressive on the engine.