SAU Community

3Rd Pops Out At Low Rpm

hey,

im just about to buy my first R33, took it for a test drive yesterday and everything is running fine, only one issue...

3rd gear pops out when you are slowing down (no power on it) and it drops below about 2 grand,

just wondering how much time and effort / dollars this will take to fix?

at the moment iv offered him 11,000 for it but will probly drop this according to the above problem.

thanks for any help

Synchro hub on 3rd gear most likely worn, will to recondition the box to fix this kind of thing.

How much $$ am i looking at spending to get this problem to resolved?

popping out of gear is usually caused by overly worn selector forks. either way its a complete rebuild to fix which will likely cost a few grand , or just replace with a 2nd hand box for cheaper, but you have no way of knowing what condition its in and how long its likely to last. given that all these gearboxes are getting aged now and all have seen their share of abuse, i think rebuild is better in the long run unless you dont plan to keep the car long.

thanks for ur help guys,

iv cancelled the deal and am about to settle a 93 R33 GTS-T thats in much better condition with only 94000 on the clock

so excited! haha

cheers lads

just for reference all, the reason they pop out is a detent spring problem, this holds slight pressure against the selector hubs and selector forks,.jumping out could also be a broken snap ring on the main shaft holding the gear clusters in postion.. bit late now ..lol