SAU Community

Rb20Det Max Power

You can run whatever turbo you want...whether its useable or not is another matter, as said above have a look at the TD-06SL2-20G if you want a good top end rush but still be useable. if if you want response the HKS2530..or even a GT-RS would be a good in betweener.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im running a gt2860r (disco potato) on my rb20 and im getting 200rwkw with full boost (16psi) at 3500rpm. Imo its a great street setup, it's very fun to drive and can give some higher horsepower cars a run for there money.

Im running a gt2860r (disco potato) on my rb20 and im getting 200rwkw with full boost (16psi) at 3500rpm. Imo its a great street setup, it's very fun to drive and can give some higher horsepower cars a run for there money.

gt2860 is .86 turbine and .60 a/r???

gt35 .63 and .70 a/r.

why wouldnt it spool untill 5k??

gt2860 is .86 turbine and .60 a/r???

gt35 .63 and .70 a/r.

why wouldnt it spool untill 5k??

You have a lot to learn my friend :)

the A/R is just that, an Area Ratio...means nothing when comparing differnt turbos..only relevance it has is when comparing different hosuings of the same type of turbo, eg GT3582R has 3 turbine options, .63, .82 and 1.06

Have a look at a GT35 and a GT28 side by side.

You will see why there will be a difference in response

Once you start getting past 220-230 rwkw with a rb20 you'll get nothing but lag, the best turbos out there ie least amount of lag for a 20 will get you 230 rwkw max...

I'm sunning a standard turbo highflowed and have 219 rwkw and its not to laggy, still more then standard of course but no where near as bad as say a 33 highflow. I make full boost by around 4-4.5k, i personally think around 210-230 is perfect for a 20.:thumbsup:

A TD06-20G hits 20psi before 4,500rpm. And at 5,000rpm is making something like 210rwkws on its way o 260rwkws! So its all in the tune and setup.

med_gallery_462_50_59282.jpg

I made some mods with a different gate, manifold and now a plasmaman plenum and have lost response :( I did gain a tad in the top end but no very happy with the result. So stick with the std inlet manifold if you want better response and torque.

med_gallery_462_50_44142.jpg

A GT-RS on std manifold is laggier then a full TD06-20G setup, with gate and manifold. Years ago I backed to backed my car on a dyno with a friends GTS-4 in rwd which ran a similar exhaust, same intercooler and both std RB20. Though I had cam gears he didnt. So a GT-RS isnt a good in betweener with regards to performance, it performs worse then a 20G from both response and grunt. But if you need a std manifold low mount turbo then its a good solution, but performance is compromised.

med_gallery_462_50_8431.jpg

As you can see my 20G was running more boost but you can see the boost response is about the same, but the 20G actually make spower sooner

med_gallery_462_50_171164.jpg

I'm sunning a standard turbo highflowed and have 219 rwkw and its not to laggy, still more then standard of course but no where near as bad as say a 33 highflow. I make full boost by around 4-4.5k, i personally think around

full boost at 4-4,500rpm on a standard high flow seems realy laggy, my 25/35 is on full boost before then

Boost response is very similar as you can see. With cam gears boost curve could be a little bit better. But the amount of flow and actual torque and response is superior with the 20G over the GT-RS. With cam gears then perhaps the GT-RS may have similar actual hp and torque curves. The catch of course is that whilst the cars were on teh same dyno within minutes of one another....the cars had different tuners. I went on to make a further 25rwkws and a tad more response by leaning on the tune after the dyno comparison and that subsequent tune still was perfectly reliable. So nothing to suggest that the 20G tune at the time of the comparison was a lot more aggressive as I later found out with a re-tune it was actually pretty conservative

Roy - what turbine housing does your 20G have? The Kinugawa TD06s look good, though the only 20G boltons for RBs are with a 12cm housing which I could see being quite laggy :(

As you can see my 20G was running more boost but you can see the boost response is about the same, but the 20G actually make spower sooner

med_gallery_462_50_171164.jpg

The GT-RS has failing boost control though Bris!

Its very lazy onto boost and then takes the entire rev range to increase from 17psi to 19psi.

If it has better boost control i think the results would be much closer with 19psi in around 1800rpm sooner than it was.

Still the TD06 does win out, not arguing that... I just think the GT-RS looks like a very bad loser when if the setup was better it wouldn't be too bad at all. If you added in cam gear and maybe picked up another 200rpm it could be very interesting.

TD06 will make more peak power either way though.

I run an 8cm housing (posted above)

This is an earlier tune when i was running the 10cm housing and pretty conservative tune

462Dyno5.jpg

The 8cm is clearlt the better option

Ash, no doubt if both our cars ran ebcs rather then just bleeds on std wastegates both could be improved, especially the GT-RS. But the shape of them ramping onto boost is the main thing I look at rather then whether they taper off at set boost pressure due to a bit of diaphragm creep

That's what im talking about though man.

The boost ramp on the GT-RS is terrible, and it's due to the control setup, not the turbo.

TD06 ramps up nice and sharp yes, the GT-RS is just lazy from 4200-5000 where it should hit firm @ 4200 based on how the ramp starts. It's definately blowing the gate open or a lazy actuator

Still good info though either way i just don't agree with the comment "GT-RS isn't a good inbetweener", I'd say it is - if the setup is... actually... setup correcrtly. :)

Still the TD04 is better, but more costly for the whole kit IIRC?

That's what im talking about though man.

The boost ramp on the GT-RS is terrible, and it's due to the control setup, not the turbo.

TD06 ramps up nice and sharp yes, the GT-RS is just lazy from 4200-5000 where it should hit firm @ 4200 based on how the ramp starts. It's definately blowing the gate open or a lazy actuator

Still good info though either way i just don't agree with the comment "GT-RS isn't a good inbetweener", I'd say it is - if the setup is... actually... setup correcrtly. :)

Still the TD04 is better, but more costly for the whole kit IIRC?

I am only really compairing them between 3,000rpm and 4,000rpm to get a good feel for how they ramp on. When we compared the two setups it was a very early tune of mine. Actually its the 234rwkw tune below. The 260kw tune also showed before is the exact same setup, only with 100rom shell fuel. The 100tune mostly helped with the ability to run a little more boos and a touch more ignition safely at the track.

98 safe tune

Dyno_RacePace.jpeg

100 track tune

med_gallery_462_50_59282.jpg

The 100ron track tune above still has 4 deg igntion taken out of what we can get out of it

BUT, this is getting a little off thread... Based on what swirto has posted I would be throwing a 3071 on the car. No lil RB20 is every going to pull in the 3,000rpm range. A short stroke 2L six needs revs to come on to cam and fill its lungs. Drivign a 2530 pwered RB20 vs a TD06 RB20 isnt all that different from seat of pants. The 2530 is a little nicer through the early 3,000rpm range but the 20G does not lose out by so much that the lag loses you a lot of general performance.

So i think a 3071 is a good balance (based on your mods)between between being small enough for response and drvability bit size to spin and give you a good hit of 250rwkws up top