SAU Community

I Made My Own Cooling Plate

sinistaGTR

Ok Im not a fan of anything rice and spending $150 on a piece of sheet alloy with a $90 degree bend in it and a few holes wasnt my idea of fun. So after looking on google there were plenty of DIY out there for different cars. I got my inspiration from a few pics of them for the 34 GTR (can get them for your specific model of car if you wish) and to give me a general idea of the shape etc etc. My finished product is by no means perfect but for a fun cheap DIY im very happy with the results.

Took me a few days of tinkering here and there. Cost me $15 as i had the paint at home.

tools required were:

Files (flat and round)

10mm spanner

flat tip screwdriver (for popping out a few clips)

drill

angle grinder or other cutting device (plasma cutter etc)

bench grinder/snader if possible (you can just use the files)

Materials:

Cardboard

sheet of alloy

Paint if required

First of all was the cardboard model:

DSC03209.jpg

Next I bought a piece of alloy, cost me $15 and traced the pattern:

DSC03210.jpg

I used the workshop at work and first cut the pattern with all the holes out. I was lucky as we have a plasma cutter at work, sounds fancy but is only good as you are at making a straight cut and requires a fair bit of sanding in the bench grinder/sander etc.

Once all parts were cut and drilled I then made the bend as required.

Once its all cut you will most likely need to make adjustments to get it to fit, cardboard just doesnt represent alloy all that well for the amateur like myself. Metal smith=no worries.

And it resembled the following:

DSC03211.jpg

Due to the tool marks and clamp marks I painted mine black (plus i prefer it on the white car):

DSC03212.jpg

Before installation:

DSC03164.jpg

And fitted:

DSC03213.jpg

DSC03214.jpg

DSC03215.jpg

does this actually do anything?

Yes, it forces all air coming through the grille to go through the radiator, rather than some going over the top of the radiator support; bypassing the radiator completely. Air will always take the path of least resistance

I've often wondered if it would be beneficial to duct the intake snorkel down through the cooling plate to pick up some of that cool air too.

Edited by Daleo

i was just about to attempt this exact same thing for my 34gtt. only ones i can find for a gtt are 150-180+....and they are not worth that much coin. ill post pics up soon as i bash one out. great job mate! looks killer. btw, how did you go about the 90deg bend? and what thickness plate did you go for?

thanks mate

LOl thanks guys,

I Used 1.5mm alloy, its a good thickness, easy enough to work with.

For the 90 degree bend i just marked where i wanted the bend to be, then placed it on the bench with the marks for the bend on the edge of the table and hit the over hang with a hammer (I have a soft head hammer, so it didnt mark the metal). It required a few little love taps here and there once i started fitting to the car, but it come out straight.

THAT LOOKS AWESOME MATE!!!

do have a question tho.. i thought that air for the air filter came from there? i might be completely wrong but im looking at doing somethin similar but addin an air duct in the plate directing some of the air to the original factory air duct..

Cheers

Herbie

do have a question tho.. i thought that air for the air filter came from there? i might be completely wrong but im looking at doing somethin similar but addin an air duct in the plate directing some of the air to the original factory air duct..

The airbox snorkle will just suck air from wherever it can find it :) I think this will restrict some of the cooler air but i doubt it will have any effect.

BTW, looks fantastic! Quite keen to give it a crack on mine now

THAT LOOKS AWESOME MATE!!!

Cheers

Herbie

Thanks Mate

All the cooliong plates i was looking at like the ARC ones etc etc all run the same desgin i used. I figured if theres runs like that it cant be that bad for the cool air.

I had a Hi Octane one and it didnt crack it was fine, I replaced it with CF garage defend one, I still have the Hi Octane one... I should sell it I suppose...

I gave it a crack as well, didn't even use a cardboard template.. just measured and drew on the ally.

Shitty camera phone pic at night but you get the idea. Have edged it with some split 4mm vaccum tube and will paint it black when I get a chance to grab some UHT Black.

Will also look at some "wings" to go down the sides between the cooler and radiator (have gutted aircon and mounted 2x thermo fans where the condenser used to be).

post-31803-0-60115100-1305611446_thumb.jpg