SAU Community

I Made My Own Cooling Plate

sinistaGTR

look great, but..

not trying to be a naysayer but isnt this what the rubber seal under the bonnet is for?

Im not sure mate...but as you said looks about a million times better and all the big name companies make them so im sure there must be something there lol

wow, you own a 34 GTR and you cheaped out on a relatively low cost item. oh well, at least ur DIY looks good!

As i first stated I hate spending money on rice and $150 for a 1.5mm piece of alloy is absolute bullshit. I prefer to save my money for things like the jun forged flywheel and clutch I just had installed...or some turbos and cams etc.

I dont mind spending money where it counts, and thanks for stating it looks good.

I wouldnt say fabricating a bit of kit for your car is cheaping out, more like common sense, most stuff you build is better than some overpriced brand named POS.

Nice work mate, keep it up.

People who can do, people who cannot talk alot.

Haha, wasnt trying to bag him out. As I said, he did a great job.

I'm a fabricator by trade so could certainly make anything I needed if I felt so Inclined.

Obviously we just have different points of view on car modifying. I like having brand name aftermarket parts on my cars, and I respect that you might not.

And while I don't agree that "most" peoples DIY is better than brand name gear(in this case it is certainly as good as anything he could of bought), I do agree that a lot of brand stuff is overpriced :S

Personally I would of got a garage defend CF cooling panel :D

i made this for my 31, although i dont run the standard latch i have bonnet pins its made out of 3mm stainless but if anyone wants one i cant have one lazer cut and folder for $50 and hole for the latch cut out aswell, pm me if needed.

DSC01339.jpg

I hate "brand name" stuff and will only buy it if I absolutely have to. I get more gratification out of working on my cars myself so I will make whatever I can. The only things I don't do are tuning and suspension setups.

Any of you fabricator type people got any tips/hints/suggestions for painting the ally? I could buff it up but not really a fan of the "bling", would prefer to paint it matt black!

Any of you fabricator type people got any tips/hints/suggestions for painting the ally? I could buff it up but not really a fan of the "bling", would prefer to paint it matt black!

Scotch brite for mechanical etch and removal of the oxidisation, and a spray can primer that states its suitable for aluminium.

you could have bolted the cardboard in for lolz

For a second there I thought he was serious about the cardboard one... then I scrolled down further. :laugh:

and I'm one of them that purchased the cheap crappy Hi Octane one which ended up cracking....

For a second there I thought he was serious about the cardboard one... then I scrolled down further. :laugh:

and I'm one of them that purchased the cheap crappy Hi Octane one which ended up cracking....

Mine was f**ked before I even fitted it to my 33 :(

i would be interested in seeing the inlet temps at the filter with and without the cooling plate. ive seen these plates for sale alot and often wondered if they would block the flow of cool air to the cool air intake fitted to the airbox and make it suck in hot air from the engine bay. i might have to make one up and see if theres a difference.

but on a different thought, would you really need one?? i guess youd need it if your having overheating problems.

You can fell the difference. Grab your filter with your hand before and after. And just like everything that you do to your car, you don't need it. But it does increase power ;). Colder air/ more dense= more oxygen/more bang for buck

There are two functions for these covers...

1) To force the incoming air through the radiator to aid in cooling instead of going around and over it (It will go over once the bonnet rubber loses its "springyness" and doesn't seal properly.

2) For looks. They're designed to hide the "uglyness" of seeing the back of a FMIC and AC condenser/radiator...

Ahhhh bugger. LOL i had this one and the Heat Shield one open and i replied to the wrong one hahaha. Yes Believe Matt. Im also looking at making some panelling for the side and bottom of the main feed from the front bar to try and help a bit more.

• 1 month later...