SAU Community

Tell Me About Your Blown Engine

Doing a research onto different engines and how they have let go,

So tell me your stories about which engine, what died, how you think it died,

Ill start off

S13 Sr20DET cyl 2 piston failed (melted 1 side of it)

i believe that the highflowed injectors i was running leaned out on cylinder 2.

R32 GTR RB26DETT, fresh imported car, was running for 2 weeks before cylinder 5 and 6 melted pistons.

cyl 5 had 60psi and cyl 6 had 29psi. think either lean out or detonation, this was 5 years ago so i can't remember exactly

my bad, forgot about that one, im trying to find cylinder specific piston failures on different engines, ill start reading through it and see if there is repeated cylinder/s that failes.

ps i like this one from 2004

shit

her we go

rb26dett- in r31 gtsx

Type of failure: massive blow by and turbo faliure

Factors influencing the failure:DUNCANS DRIVING... unknown age of engine,DUNCANS DRIVING runing upwards of 1.3 bar for extended periods of time on a standard turbo,DUNCANS DRIVING, car wasnt run above 7k in this state of tune did i mention DUNCANS DRIVING

State of tune of the engine: standard bar jap computer. had the car for 4000km, mobile 1 oil, car has even compression, however has excessive leakdown wont know bearing or bore wear until its appart

Suspension and tyres: full adjustables coil overs, street tyres 225-245/45/17's

General comments: rebuild in progress, will update if there is anything to add

pete

Don't you hold the the record in that thread Duncan lol ?ninja.gif

Some good info in that thread!

lol I go there so often it's in my favourites.

actually I owe it at least 1 more post and probably 2 since I last posted.

haha Pete was just annoyed that I got to break his car. payback for when I lent him mine the year before. Actually thinking back I've had 2 other people driving when motors let go in my race car.

BTW....run the numbers if you like....but detonation failures are far more common in #6, especially in rb26s. Ring lands and/or big end bearings

Plenty of theories about plenum air distribution and heat at the rear of the motor, but who knows for sure.

thats why im interested, RB motors seem more prone to detonation in cyl 5 and 6,

im trying to work out all motor types, Sr20 mine died in cyl 2, V8 engines which cylinders more prone to detonation ETC ETC