SAU Community

Standard Wheels

17yostagea

In the sticky it said RS4 comes with 16" wheels but did not state tyre size. My RS4 came with 17X8 and has 225/50/17.which is what is on the door label.

The 25G came with 17X7 and 215/45/17, Which is one of the options on the door label.. We swapped the wheels over as the 25G scraped on the rainwater diverter in the driveway.When I went to get some new 215s the tyre guy said RS4 must have 235s fitted.

What is correct???

I believe stock is 205/15. The door label will be correct. 235s are suitable for 8in rims. Your tyre guy is trying to upsell to make more money.

These are "normal":

7in 205 or 215

7.5in 215 or 225

8in 225 or 235

You can go a little wider in each case but there is no point.

+1 Ray, 235 on a 7" wide is a no go

my placard (c34 series 2) says 215/50R17 (OD 646mm). if i had a 215/45R17 (625mm) fitted to mine it would be a massive drop in tyre size and 21mm drop in OD (in canberra max allowable drop is 26 then the tyre is illegal on the car). also the speedo would be out a mile

IMO i would put a 215/50R17 on the 7 inch wide because the 215/45R17 would look way too small in the wheel arch. also the 215/50R17 and the 235/45R17 are near identical in OD only difference being the rim widths you can fit them too.

i run stock r34gtt rims, and got 235/45 on them, gives more grip, but on my old rims wich were 17x9 i ran 205/45 or 215/45, my mate now on his mx5 has 15x10 and is running 195/60r15

^^relevance? my old rims were 20x12 and i had a 195/40 but seriously my cousin has 165/50s on his 15x12s. doesnt exactly answer his question does it?

Thanx for all the input.

I think the problem arose because the first pair of tyres I got were on 17X8. The guy did not realise the second time I came I had 17X7 on. And it was on these I wanted the 215s

and mine are 225/50/r17 - which is also on the door panel. But mine is a series 2 rs4s - so I think the rims might be 7.5 inch, not 7, though I'm not sure as I've only had them off once, and it was a few years ago... I do remember that they are smaller than my 8 inch rims on my skyline...

Ian

actually no its not correct as R34GTT standard 17 rims are a 17x 7.5" which is the narrowest rim fitment for a 235/45 tyre NOT a 7 inch wide but thanks for your input

hmmm, fair fair, my bad, last time i checked it looked like there was just 7 imprint on them but then again i didnt take notice of it since it came with tyres.

actually no its not correct as R34GTT standard 17 rims are a 17x 7.5" which is the narrowest rim fitment for a 235/45 tyre NOT a 7 inch wide but thanks for your input

Maybe not - the R34GTX turbo - which was a GTT with pretty much all the optional extras ie limited slip diff etc etc came with AVS wheels from the factory. I think they are 8inch, as I have had 255/45 on them....

Ian

Alright, according to the factory specs as printed in my old HyperRev magazine:

Series 1 - October 1996 to August 1998

• 20G (E-WHC34 with RB20E, RWD only)came with 195/65R15.
  • 25G and 25X (both E-WGC34 with RB25DE, RWD only) came with 205/60R15.
  • 25G-Four and 25X-Four (both E-WGNC34 with RB25DE and AWD) came with 205/60R15.
  • RS-Four (also E-WGNC34, but with RB25DET and AWD) came with 205/60R16.
  • RS-Four V (as above for RS-Four, but higher spec features) came with 205/55R16.
  • 260RS (again, E-WGNC34 but with RB26DETT and AWD) came with 225/50R17.

Series 2 - August 1998 to (approx) September 2001

• 20G, 20X (GF-WHC34 with RB20DE, RWD only), 25X (GF-WGC34 with RB25DE, RWD only), and 25X-Four (GF-WGNC34 with RB25DE and AWD) all had 205/60R15.
  • 25RS (GF-WGC34 with RB25DE, RWD only), 25t RS V (GF-WGC34 with RB25DET, but RWD only), 25RS-Four (GF-WGNC34 with RB25DE and AWD), 25t X-Four and 25t RS-Four V (both GF-WGNC34 with RB25DET and AWD) all came with 205/55R16.
  • 25t RS-Four S (GF-WGNC34 with RB25DET, AWD and factory manual) came with 215/50R17.
  • 260RS same as series 1, i.e. 225/50R17.

That was a very hard post to write - some of the spec levels changed between s1 and s2, new models were added, some taken away, and the chart I'm reading is very confusing...

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Anyway, I REALLY hope that helps.

[*]25t RS-Four S (GF-WGNC34 with RB25DET, AWD and factory manual) came with 215/50R17.

[*]260RS same as series 1, i.e. 225/50R17.

- I'll try and find my original stagea manual later today, as (as I said above:-) ) my rs4s definitely came with 225/50r17 and that's what was on the door as well - which would make it the same as the 260rs above..

.. anyway, getting back to the thread initial topic, I'd say put the widest '50's' you could on the rims you have (I reckon you don't need 45's on a stagea - onlike a skyline where you need them on the back!) and stay well away from that tyre guy as he is either a) an idiot or b) trying to con more money out of you. Not to mention he is telling you to put tyres to wide for your rims on...

Ian