SAU Community

Perth V8 Accident

Whiplash

Shocking accident on the gird in Perth when Kerl Reindler stalled and was hit heavily from behind.

All the best to Karl, hopes the burns aren't too bad

REINDLER IN HOSPITAL AFTER HORROR CRASH

Karl Reindler has been transferred to hospital after an horrific start-line accident that saw his car engulfed in a ball of fire at Barbagallo this morning.

The Fair Dinkum Sheds Racing driver received superficial burns to his hands and face and smoke inhalation.

V8 Supercar Chief Medical Officer Carl Le was first on the scene and Reindler received the best medical care.

The accident happened when Steve Owen ran into Reindler, who was stationery on the grid. The car burst into flames but Reindler reacted quickly, leaping out of the car.

Karl Reindler

Fair Dinkum Sheds Racing

“I loaded the clutch up and it stalled. I had my foot all the way down; I didn’t even release the clutch. I couldn’t get it going at all. There’s nothing I could do.

“Before I knew it I saw flames inside the car. I guess I panicked and tried to get out as quick as I could. My body’s fine, it’s just my hands.”

Dr Carl Le

V8 Supercar Resident Medic

“Karl has suffered some superficial burns to his hands and face and smoke inhalation. He has been transported to hospital, but he is OK.”

Steve Own

Paul Morris Motorsport

“It happened that quick I barely got on the brake by the time I hit him. I was in third gear, flat out after getting a pretty good start.

“I opened both doors and there was fire there. The officials did a great job. Without them putting the fire out I wouldn’t have gotten out of the car.

“I felt pretty sore when I first got out of the car but I’m alright now. I saw Karl briefly in the medical centre and fortunately he’s fine apart from some light burns. ”

post-26183-0-66105900-1304228249_thumb.jpg

post-26183-0-67869400-1304228255_thumb.jpg

post-26183-0-90597200-1304228270_thumb.jpg

nasty....I counted about 12 seconds to get out of the car after it stopped moving, so make it 15 all up. he forgot to take the window net out first time, and forgot to unplug intercom too.

no criticism, just a reminder how hard simple things can be when you are in major shock. there aren't many worse crashes than that, thank god he wasn't knocked out.

yep thats hell scary.

i was talking to a mate about what the saftey backlash of this will be. that said it has happened a few times before.

he recconed they would bring in rolling starts. all i had to say to that was More NASCAR

+1 nascar would be way more interesting to watch on aussie tracks than the sequential cheatbox taxis.

the less modern technology the better, leaving more margin for driver error and the resulting overtaking.

bigger, heavier, carb'd 4 speed manually shifted tanks. awwyea

Edited by scooby36

+1 nascar would be way more interesting to watch on aussie tracks than the sequential cheatbox taxis !

the less modern technology the better (apart from safety)

bigger, heavier, carb'd 4 speed manually shifted tanks. f**kyea!

So you mean Sport Sedans yeah......wut?

This happens in many categories, I think drivers need to have a button on the steering wheel that will set off an alarm in the starters tower and trackside led lights if they stall on the grid.

As it happened live I thought wtf is that board the starter is holding out, the 5 second board? but the lights are green, then it was just a fireball, so the marshalls were all onto it but the drivers have tunnel vision at that point in time.