SAU Community

Perth V8 Accident

Whiplash

May be undergoing some surgery on his hands next week.

Winton is looking unlikely, but the last thing anyone would want to do is rush a recovery

+1 nascar would be way more interesting to watch on aussie tracks than the sequential cheatbox taxis.

the less modern technology the better, leaving more margin for driver error and the resulting overtaking.

bigger, heavier, carb'd 4 speed manually shifted tanks. awwyea

i know its a free world but are you for real? nascar has to be one of the most boring motorsports.

my point was that the V8s move closer to Nascar rules every year and thats why they are getting worse and worse.

im not trying to have a go or start somthing just making sure that my point earlier was taken sarcasticly.

There was a write up in todays paper about it.

Towards the end of the write up he mentions he was disappointed with the fire guys as when they came and approached the car none of them squirted him with water.

I noticed that as well. The poor guy obviously had hot hands, he was shaking them like F*CK!

It was hot hot hot!!

Face suffered burns I guessing from him having his helmet visor up?

I noticed that as well. The poor guy obviously had hot hands, he was shaking them like F*CK!

It was hot hot hot!!

Face suffered burns I guessing from him having his helmet visor up?

Burns are never fun, looks like bad sun burn on his forehead.

reindler-hospital-214x299.jpg

Edited by Whiplash

Wake up call for me.

I'm going to make sure I wear my balaclava from now on. Every bit helps hey!

All V8 drivers have to wear them, after the issue at Bathurst the other year when Ambrose was 'dobbed in' for not wasn't wearing one.

yeah good call on the balaclava...it is optional for racing (not national) but required at rallies.

also interesting his hand were burned, I'm sure he had compliant gloves on. I wonder if gloves should haev more than 1 layer.

good to see he is OK, I guess the operation is to put skin from his bum onto his hands?

All V8 drivers have to wear them, after the issue at Bathurst the other year when Ambrose was 'dobbed in' for not wasn't wearing one.

I realise they have to wear them, was referring more to myself.

I'm only running in supersprints so it's not mandatory to wear a balaclava or even gloves. I have a balaclava and I often don't wear it. Sometimes can't be bothered or don't want to be too hot wearing it. I'm going to make sure I wear it everytime from now on.

Early days I was never a fan of wearing gloves either. Then I figured it would be hard to undo seatbelts, window net and open doors while your hands are on fire. Gloves buy you some time to get out.

It's easy to forget some of the dangers of motorsport and become complacent.

This happens in many categories, I think drivers need to have a button on the steering wheel that will set off an alarm in the starters tower and trackside led lights if they stall on the grid.

As it happened live I thought wtf is that board the starter is holding out, the 5 second board? but the lights are green, then it was just a fireball, so the marshalls were all onto it but the drivers have tunnel vision at that point in time.

What about a transmitter which recognizes if a car is stalled and sends a warning off to the guard tower.

You could even wire safety cut-off systems so all cars have their engines cut when something like this happens.

Then again.. this is just attacking a problem directly as opposed to finding a safer way to starts.

Not keen on rolling starts... launches are awesome to watch

Edited by SKITTLES

Wake up call for me.

I'm going to make sure I wear my balaclava from now on. Every bit helps hey!

Jake jone a SA drift driver was recently driving a borrowed car at a drift event in New Zealand. some how a fuel line split and it had an in cabin fire. in the time it took to stop the car from 120+ he recived burns to his neck. he had a helment and race suit but no balaclava. i bet he wishes he was wairing one.

They wave flags when a car stalls on the grid. Problem with that, is that the driver is so busy that they are unlikely to see them being waved. Same issue would apply to a light in the cockpit.

There was an accident at nightmasters at the beginning of the year, that was pretty much the exact same circumstances. Though not quite as dramatic (no fireball).