SAU Community

Timing

luvpsi

i need to d my timing belt on my rb25det which is in a vl i have read some of the guides on here and they seem pretty straight forward however im a little sceptical baout the timing side of things when it comes to the CAS due to i dont have a timing light. does anyone here in WA know how to do a timing belt that could help me

also is it worth buying a whole timing belt kit if the tensioners are not stuffed. like they say only fix whats broken. its just im on a tight budget at the moment i know its the life of my engine and i shouldnt neglect it

also is it worth buying a whole timing belt kit if the tensioners are not stuffed. like they say only fix whats broken. its just im on a tight budget at the moment i know its the life of my engine and i shouldnt neglect it

You just answered your own question. Buy the whole kit IMO.

depends on their condition. i've re used myne twice now, but i know for a fact they're still less than 20k kms old

as for the cas, if you mark it properly (dont use a fat texta) and align it perfectly when you bolt it back up it'll be so close it wont matter. i usually scratch marks into it with a very small flathead screwdriver or similar

If there is any, and I mean ANY "rumbling" noise when you spin the pulley, thn replace it. The bearings arent serviceable, so there is no way to lube them at all, and the rumbling will indicate balls touching (nohomo) the race which means they are already on their way out. Having seen a couple of RB's after one of those bearings lets go, its not a risk I would be willing to take, myself.

As for the timing - like johnno said, use a scratch (or mark it with a texta, then scratch inside the texta mark so you can see it) and you will be fine - but if you do get your hands on a timing light, make sure you put the ecu into "adjust timing" mode before trying to adjust it. Seems like a n00b mistake but you would be suprised how many people miss it.