SAU Community

Who Here Can Do Timing Belts?

SargeRX8

Hey guys,

Well after watching another guys video on engine noises, and from my original suspicion, the noise my car makes is a tensioner/bearing noise from the cam cover. Thus I need my belt, tensioners and bearings changed. Who here in Sydney can do it and how much do you want? Please PM me.

I can get the kit or if you can provide it and give me a total cost on parts plus labour + days the car will be out of action will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Edit: Yes I have searched but no one ever seems to put a price they paid on anything. Thats what I'm after, what people actually payed not what someone told them on the phone.

Edited by SargeRX8

I'm actually looking forward to doing this for the first time (whenever that will be). But it SHOULD be just a day job. I got quoted $500 from a place that wasn't really a skyline centered place once. Probably would have ended up as more though. Maybe call around the recommended (in the nsw section, have a search) performance mechanics in syd and get some quotes. Might cost a little more but at least they'll know what they're doing.

I don't have most of the tools(pullers, cam locker, timing light). Its also looks like a PITA to work in such a tight spot, even though I changed my clutch my self under my car haha.

Damnit now I'm considering it haha.

Galois, is that $500 including parts and labor?

Edited by SargeRX8

The spot isnt tight when the radiator comes out ;)

But yeah, if you dont have the tools, it would cost nearly as much to buy all the gear to do it as it would to have it done.

http://meetdallasberry.com/files/GuideChanging-the-Timing-Belt-on-a-RB25DET-4.pdf

I think I'm gonna give this a go lol. Actually looks and reads alot easier than changing a clutch. Before I pull the old belt n shit off I'll ensure all the markings are in place so it can be ligned up properly. And any old pully puller will do!

Edited by SargeRX8

http://meetdallasber...a-RB25DET-4.pdf

I think I'm gonna give this a go lol. Actually looks and reads alot easier than changing a clutch. Before I pull the old belt n shit off I'll ensure all the markings are in place so it can be ligned up properly. And any old pully puller will do!

Yes I too get the impression this is an important step haha

Yes I too get the impression this is an important step haha

It's actually THE MOST IMPORTANT step. Get it slightly wrong, and the car will run a bit rough, but get it seriously wrong and it can do major damage. Srsly. :D

I don't think the RB engines are an "interference" engine - someone can correct me on that - but some engines (like those in the later Holden Astras) are, and if a timing belt breaks, it's goodbye valves and pistons, and hello big repair bills and empty wallets.

Parts:

http://www.kudosmotorsports.com/catalog/nissan-100000km-service-kit-water-pump-timing-belt-nissan-skyline-r33-gts25t-rb25det-p-558.html

$434 just the parts; and I'd assume roughly $600 for labour (takes a few hours to do, even rushing it). Don't expect too much change for $1k for the full job.

I've got the RB25 manual, and it has step by step instructions on doing it.. i just suck and can't follow them :P

i got mine done at boost tech in fivedock for $690 for all parts and labour, new waer pump aswell

i'm friends with the owner but i rang up and got the quote beofre telling him who i was

so if you call them i'm sure you can have it done for under $700

you can look it up under "elite autos" in fivedock the owners name is Tony

Yeah they are an interference motor

It's actually THE MOST IMPORTANT step. Get it slightly wrong, and the car will run a bit rough, but get it seriously wrong and it can do major damage. Srsly. :D

I don't think the RB engines are an "interference" engine - someone can correct me on that - but some engines (like those in the later Holden Astras) are, and if a timing belt breaks, it's goodbye valves and pistons, and hello big repair bills and empty wallets.

Just to clarify, but you probably knew this, I was being sarcastic. What would you do if you managed to stuff that step? I remember reading about someone on here who'd done it and was rather lost.