SAU Community

Does Anyone Know A Good Auto Electrician?

I need an Auto Electrician...one that will come to you, as my car won't start to take it anywhere.

I'm assuming it's the starter motor as it's been having issues for a while and from talking to people it seems the most likely cause, but before I go and buy one it'd be good to get a quick diagnosis from a professional.

If anyone knows someone, that would be great :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or does anybody know what to look for with a multimeter?

I can give it a go but i don't know what a good and bad readout would be.

all i could do is say that yes it's getting 12v which I'm confident it is (when the battery is charged that is).

I know someone who just started his own auto elec company. he use to work for the mob across from Newgel but has since gone out on his own. Ill get his mobile number and PM you if you want

Hey All,

I've only recently started posting as i joined SAU about a week ago or something.

I have a GTT R34 in Bright yellow (fairly stock atm) which i bought in early january.

I'm no professional Auto Elec but i work in the auto industry and am pretty handy with a multimeter.

i'm not sure what the correct testing procedure is but i could ask some of the auto elecs i work with, and if need be, compare results off a multimeter test on both yours and my starter motor to try and determine if yours is busted?

Twins!! That would be great if you ask them! Any help is muchly appreciated! :)

Nathan, yeah if you could grab his number that would be awesome, and I'll see how I go :)

This is the simplest way to test your starter motor.

What you need.

A well charged battery

A set of jump leads.

Test the solenoid.

Connect the black jump lead to the negative- terminal of the battery and the other

end to the body of the starter motor.

Now connect the red jump lead to the positive+ terminal of the battery and touch

the other end of the lead to the terminal on the back of the solenoid.

The solenoid should click loudly and throw the starter motor pinion forward.

The starter motor should not turn.

If this does not happen, then the solenoid is faulty. Test the starter motor.

Touch the end of the red jump lead onto the large terminal of the starter.

The pinion should rotate strongly (see video below).

During these test it is quite common for large sparks to be produced. Make sure you are in a clear area where there are no flammable liquids

or other materials.

DO NOT HOLD THE STARTER WITH YOUR HANDS.

There is too much torque, safest thing is to mount it in a vice if possible.

Hahaha yeah might be best left to an expert (or at least someone that's not me) I think :laugh:

Not me!

I hate electrics, and I have pulled starter motors out of RBs to many times. :P

I think a few bolts to undo it, then a few bolts to bolt the new one in is much easier :)

Getting to said bolts is easier said than done though lol

The question would be shell whats it doing?

Does it not turn over at all or does it sound like it does but sounds more like a spinning noise?

The question would be shell whats it doing?

Does it not turn over at all or does it sound like it does but sounds more like a spinning noise?

It's been on it's way out for weeks but would come and go. It would grind (like when you turn the key too far when the engine's already on). Then it started getting worse and would sound like it's trying but not actually start (like you'd run out of petrol). A few goes and it would get there eventually. Again, it would come and go, sometimes it would start without an issue.

On the weekend it died completely, there's nothing at all, not even a tick tick like you get with a flat battery.

I think a few bolts to undo it, then a few bolts to bolt the new one in is much easier :)

I think you might be right :)

I suppose I could have a look at it for you sometime.

Shouldn't be that bad, I have tiny hands like the Japanese intended and have owned a supercharged aw11 mr2 for about 3 years.

Lol