SAU Community

Older Style Pop Out Dvd Players Buyer Beware

Yts

hey guys just thought i would pass on a little info to help out people deciding on buying second hand pop out dvd players/car audio units instead of new.

i bought it second hand off a forum member for what i thought was a bargin 300ish dollars. lasted a good year-year and half with no dramas.

i recently have been experiencing problems with it, the screen would not function sometimes coming out when the button pressed other times not moving or only coming out half way then pausing. I eventually took it to a car audio place to find out the mechanism was gone and neded to be replaced. payed the $80 standard fee to have it sent away and looked at thinking it might cost me 100 or so dollars to fix it. got the call from the guys to find out just to replace parts in the screen and nothing else was going to cost $850 obviously this was >_<>_<>_< (due to the parts not being easily available anymore.)

when you factor in a brand new one with more applications cost less.

even the guy at the car audio place said to me it was pretty outrageous. so while buying a second hand dvd player/unit is great for the cheaper price just be weary of the replacement cost if the pop out screen mechanism fails which is going to be an arm and a leg

yt

And you generally get a year warranty with a new one....so lasting a year and half second hand plus the previous usage isnt that bad at all, even if you got new it would be out of warranty.

Also if your buying something that has a lot more mechanical moving parts like a pop out screen you would expect more issues as time goes on and hand in hand is the cost to fix it.

Its bad luck you have to get a new one, but there really wasnt much point to this thread.

Bought one New about 2 weeks ago off a 31 forum member, wired it all up.. and no display on the screen, tried wiring the H.brake ground to the chassis, batt, and H.brake.. still nothing.

also it didnt accept CDs for a few mins. bit annoying as i have been trying to contact him and getting no reply.. tho he is on just about everyday. im not saying its his fault, but im sure if i buy something new it should work.

And you generally get a year warranty with a new one....so lasting a year and half second hand plus the previous usage isnt that bad at all, even if you got new it would be out of warranty.

Also if your buying something that has a lot more mechanical moving parts like a pop out screen you would expect more issues as time goes on and hand in hand is the cost to fix it.

Its bad luck you have to get a new one, but there really wasnt much point to this thread.

depends on where you go and what you get in terms of warranty. i am not saying that i didnt get my money's worth, i believe i did but getting it fixed is a whole different story, if this advice was here for me to read at least i would have had the knowledge to choose. if it helps one person make a better decision than in my opinion it is worth it

depends on where you go and what you get in terms of warranty. i am not saying that i didnt get my money's worth, i believe i did but getting it fixed is a whole different story, if this advice was here for me to read at least i would have had the knowledge to choose. if it helps one person make a better decision than in my opinion it is worth it

mosr radios arent worth fixing, unless its a easy fix, the cost of radios has fallen so much and so many new features its not worth fixing old junk, imo