SAU Community

Gtr Running On Only 3 Cylinders

hello im in the process of getting my gtr on the road and am just about there. but it is only running on cylinders 1, 4 and 6

coilpacks are fine, plugs are fine. theres power getting to the coilpacks but no spark?

so im thinking its not wiring because theres power getting to them?

what else could it be.

the car has a power fc in it, however it has been taken out of the car for months.... do these computers go into a safe mode or something which will only let it run on 3 cylinders?

finally i have checked if i get spark with coilpacks and sparkplug out of car being earthed (to make sure its definitely no spark and not 'no fuel')

please help :(

Try swapping the coils into different cylinders if the problem moves then it's the coils

done this.. coilpacks are fine

perhaps a burnt track on PFC - what is this?

have considered putting in stock ecu and seeing if that fixes the problem... if so its obviously a pfc problem... if not... ??

More information needed.

What kind of RB is it?

RB20/25/26?

If its an R33 is it a series 1 or 2?

If it is an RB26 is it a R34 engine?

So you moved the coil packs, and the dead cylinders didnt move. Did you try doing the same with an injector?

Trying the stock ecu is definatly worth doing. At the very least you may eliminate your wiring if it does run on all 6 with the stock ecu.

blocked injectors? does it reek of raw fuel when running? or smell normal?

no not blocked injectors as i took the spark plug and coilpack out, earthed the sparkplug out to the engine and there was no spark (on cylinders 2, 3 and 5). did the same for 1, 4, and 6 and they all threw a nice healthy spark.

so at this stage theres no spark getting to the coilpacks 2, 3 and 5 - but when ignition is turned on they all (all 6 of them) have power going to them - and just to confirm - all coilpacks are working 100% as ive swapped them around.

does anyone have/know of a r32 gtr ecu i could borrow for literally 5mins (including taking in and out of car). i live on the goldcoast qld...

More information needed.

What kind of RB is it?

RB20/25/26?

If its an R33 is it a series 1 or 2?

If it is an RB26 is it a R34 engine?

So you moved the coil packs, and the dead cylinders didnt move. Did you try doing the same with an injector?

Trying the stock ecu is definatly worth doing. At the very least you may eliminate your wiring if it does run on all 6 with the stock ecu.

r33 rb26 in a r32 gtr (dont know if that makes a diff)

exactly right swapped coil packs no change... didnt worry about doing it with injectors yet as i couldnt get a spark thrown from the bad cylinders sparkplug when i earthed them out onto the body of the engine - therefor i thought its definitely not getting spark on cylinders 2, 3 and 5

ecu will make things alot eaiser/faster than going through the wiring if i didnt have to.

assuming it is the ecu - what on earth causes this on a pfc?

assuming it isnt - next step obviously detailed check of wiring?

Yeah sorry I was 1/2 asleep when I posted that question and didnt notice you mentioned GTR. Being an R32/33 I'd be looking at getting hold of a loan coil pack ignitor for testing as well.

Yeah sorry I was 1/2 asleep when I posted that question and didnt notice you mentioned GTR. Being an R32/33 I'd be looking at getting hold of a loan coil pack ignitor for testing as well.

ok. i actually have a r32gtst as well soooo... saw that the gtr and gtst ignitors are the same - can anyone confirm?

ok sweet. ill put the gtst ignitor in the 26 and see if thats the problem. if it isnt..

DOES ANYONE HAVE A GTR OR GTR ECU THEY WOULD EVER SO KINDLY LEND ME/POP AROUND ONE AFTERNOON - surfers paradise. ill give you a $50 deposit or whatever if i have to pick it up

swapped the r32 gtst ignitor over... FIXED!!! :D

now to find an ignitor for sale

Its a good idea to check the earth quality between the engine and the chassis, and also make sure you earth the tag that is part of the coil loom to the engine.

A lot of people leave the ignitor flapping around 1/2 bolted onto the coil cover in an effort to keep it cooler, however the bad earthing is more likely to cause the thing to fail than actual heat. Technically, differences in earth potential and back emf from the coils blows up the drivers inside the ignitor.

lol "safemode" epic :D

so you are selling the ignitor but it could be busted? or did you test it?

no i meant i need to find 1 for sale so i have an ignitor for both cars. and thanks for the tip^^^ ill make sure its earth as good as possible.