SAU Community

Reset springs, ABSOLUTELY DONT DO IT!

hi guys, just a bit of an update on my reset springs.

Kings 1inch low, i had reset 20mm lower to get just under 1.5inch lower. This should have put my C.O.W.-guard measurement at ~350mm (taken that a whiteline 1.5inch low spring gives 345mm, im told)

Well when first in they were perfect, but a few months later and they have sagged to an unacceptable height. I measured them yesterday, 315mm COW-guard!! So now the car is nearly 2&3/4 inches lower than standard!

The ride has gotten progressively crap as the springs dropped, as there is just not enough travel available. Needless to say i have a set of whiteline lowered springs on the way!

This is a caution to anyone considering resetting springs, apparently it wreaks havoc with the metals original properties from when it was first wound, with possibilites of altering the spring rate and making the springs weaker - ive since heard of reset springs actually snapping. In short definitly not advisable!!

yeah they have to reheat the metal... unfortunately i didnt do any metal work study, and since the spring company seems to do lots of reset jobs (plus they said it doesnt wreck the metal/spring) i thought it would be ok... oh well, the hard way to learn is the best way to learn!

If cooled too rapidly they will become brittle & prone to cracking.

Most springs & swaybars are cooled in oil s-l-o-w-l-y to prevent this. My last car snapped 2 factory sway bars before the whiteline boys knocked up a bulletproof one for me.

Don't know about resetting coil springs - sounds a little band-aid.

i think you mut heat them then cool immedietly in cold water to make sure the metal remains hard..

dude thats the best very best way to kill the metal. there is nothing worse then putting freshly welded/ heated metal into cold water! or normal water at that!

the best is to let it cool off by itself. however sometimes they use high pressure air guns to cool the metal aswell.

To all,

Having been there and done that some five years ago i can only comfirm what your saying-dont do it!however i hope you realise that normal springs will in fact 'settle' after a period of time and the cars ride height and ride quality will suffer.This is my main arguement with the so called experts (the tossers at regency checking centre who argue that theyre illegal but cant quote the adr no.)the advantage of coil over suspension is that when this does occur you can adjust the car back up to the correct height(not dump it as they imply-we are always guilty untill you prove you innocense)this gives you the best of both worlds.However the best advantage is that you can adjust the 4 corners of the car to different heights to achieve the correct weight on each corner by using 4 car scales and adjust till theyre even or close to it!

Regards,

SKYLINE (Kym).... :wavey: