SAU Community

Fuel Level Sender Cleaning R33 Gtst

DJSimmo

I've got an R34 GTT coupe, and i could not get the sender out of the tank! i tried numerous ways of pulling up or sliding along, but it would not budge? does anyone know how to remove the sender for an an r34?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has probably never been off its mount so It's stuck on there good

I'm heaps happy with my fuel gauge now I got 503 km's out of my last tank then put a 20 lt jerry through it and traveled 116 km's and filled up and could only fit 60lt in the tank of a 70lt tank

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,just bought an R33 and tried this as the fuel gauge stays full. (great tutorial)

Found the tank had about 3/4 in but i had a feel around anyway,both the pump and the sender were loose. Sender was floating around and pump was down the bottom. Would've been on it's side but for the fuel hose.

Managed to locate the fuel pump bracket but i couldn't find anywhere for the sender unit to hang on (going by feel)

Does anybody have anymore info on where the sender hanger? is located,i'm guessing that it's to the right of the pump on the back wall?

I was looking for two prongs to slide the unit onto (just a guess)

Thanks

Hi,just bought an R33 and tried this as the fuel gauge stays full. (great tutorial)

Found the tank had about 3/4 in but i had a feel around anyway,both the pump and the sender were loose. Sender was floating around and pump was down the bottom. Would've been on it's side but for the fuel hose.

Managed to locate the fuel pump bracket but i couldn't find anywhere for the sender unit to hang on (going by feel)

Does anybody have anymore info on where the sender hanger? is located,i'm guessing that it's to the right of the pump on the back wall?

I was looking for two prongs to slide the unit onto (just a guess)

Thanks

Hey buddy thanks for the kind words. In regard to the fuel sender, it slides onto the same bracket as the fuel pump does. The fuel sender is mounted on the right of the fuel pump. Hold the fuel sender in a almost vertical / slanted position in parallel with the fuel pump and front of the fuel tank. To mount the sender to the bracket you need to find the mounting tab which sticks out from the fuel sender case and then match up the mounting tab with the steel bracket on the inside of the tank and then slide the sender from right to left on to the mounting bracket. it should click into place and be seated close to the pump.

Good luck! :)

All done,i took it for a razz to empty some fuel out.

I could see the hanger,it was only a single prong and it would only go on the upper loop on the sender unit.

Also i had to slide it on from left to right,ah well it must be a series 1 thing.

Thanks DJSimmo for your help,i now have a working fuel gauge.

Better go fuel up now :thumbsup:

Edited by kosmo90

• 1 month later...

same sort of prob with my 32gtr. anything above 1/4 and guage doesnt work... below that its fine. when i find time i will try to look at it. does anyone know if its the same sort of sender in the 32 gtr??? we;;, it works when i sit stationary on idle for a while. it creeps up. but as soon as i move the guage plays up

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

sorry to drag up an old thread guys, but would anyone know where I would be able to source a brand new fuel level sender? the one in my fuel tank has tabs that are too brittle to open and clean....

• 2 months later...

How do you go about removing the sender? I have read the other thread and that just involves pulling the fuel pump up on its bracket. Is it the same arrangment for the sender (do i depress the button in the above picture?) or do i need to depress the metal clip on the bracket and pull the sender towards the passenger side?

Edited by msmith

• 4 weeks later...

Did this today, couldn't / wouldn't have done it without this Tutorial. SAU is like a wise old friend. :thumbsup:

I thought I might add a pic or 2 or 3 that might help others having difficulty.

Besides getting that stoopid twist lid thing off, my biggest hassle was removing the sender from it's bracket.

I ended up removing the fuel pump by lifting it up, out of the bracket. (probably didn't need to but it was more for curiosity)

After much farting around trying to get the sender off its bracket, I ended up doing the same lift up and out with the bracket for the sender.

Then I could lift the back of the plastic bracket thing on the sender and gently pry it off the metal bracket with a screwdriver.

Pulled them both out of the tank and done.

Cleaned and put it all back in.

post-78856-0-75148200-1351313388_thumb.jpg post-78856-0-18981100-1351313438_thumb.jpg post-78856-0-22638300-1351315056_thumb.jpg

I should add that I plugged the sender back in before I reinstalled it and put the float to the top, switched the ignition on and yep, the needle went up to full but the fuel light came on.

I'm pretty sure the fuel light sensor is a little silver thing attached to the level sender about 3-4 inches from the bottom.

I hope this might make things a little easier for anyone wanting to do this in the future.

I thought this was going to be a good way to get to know what is involved in changing my fuel pump.

Now I know that this is actually harder, Fuel pump should be easy.

Edited by Not a Pulsar

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Did this today, couldn't / wouldn't have done it without this Tutorial. SAU is like a wise old friend. :thumbsup:

I thought I might add a pic or 2 or 3 that might help others having difficulty.

Besides getting that stoopid twist lid thing off, my biggest hassle was removing the sender from it's bracket.

I ended up removing the fuel pump by lifting it up, out of the bracket. (probably didn't need to but it was more for curiosity)

After much farting around trying to get the sender off its bracket, I ended up doing the same lift up and out with the bracket for the sender.

Then I could lift the back of the plastic bracket thing on the sender and gently pry it off the metal bracket with a screwdriver.

Pulled them both out of the tank and done.

Cleaned and put it all back in.

attachicon.gifFuel Sender Bracket small.JPG attachicon.gifbracket.jpg attachicon.gifFuel Sender Job 2 small.JPG

I should add that I plugged the sender back in before I reinstalled it and put the float to the top, switched the ignition on and yep, the needle went up to full but the fuel light came on.

I'm pretty sure the fuel light sensor is a little silver thing attached to the level sender about 3-4 inches from the bottom.

I hope this might make things a little easier for anyone wanting to do this in the future.

I thought this was going to be a good way to get to know what is involved in changing my fuel pump.

Now I know that this is actually harder, Fuel pump should be easy.

I tried doing this yesterday but for the life of me could not get the sensor or the bracket off at all. How did you get the bracket off? looking at the pics you put up there are metal tabs that lock the bracket onto the white holder attached to the tank. I tried pulling it every direction and prying at it but couldnt move it at all. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.