SAU Community

Epic R34 Build, Aka The Silver Bullet!

Hey fellow SAU siblings, I have recently bought an r34 gtt shell for a time attack weapon.

the shell is in good nick apart from some love needed on the front right corner.

So I am looking for some good idea's for an engine to run in this car, i have thought about doing the rb30-25/26

but rb's are too heavy in the front so i think an ls1 or vh45 or 1uz maybe? with turbo's later on.

also I think a z-tune bodykit will do nicely but am open to ideas for the wheel combo.

pics to be up shortly.

cheers, troypost-39514-0-61131700-1304478143_thumb.jpg

How much heavier are RB's anyway, really? I've heard people say 100kg's more than VQ's, but that sounds like its to much, as if someones measuring a RB with parts attached compared to a stripped VQ, but clarification would be nice.

You could buy a billet Alumium Rb26 if you have lots of spare cash though.

• 3 weeks later...

A ls1 engine is 60kg lighter than an rb engine

, so a vq engine would be lighter again.

but there are problems with the vq30dett engine so thats out,:thumbsup:

An rb engine will be overly heavy in the front thats why i would like a v8 to take the chassis balance closer to 50-50

the DLS r34 drift car is a great example

I am also looking for r34 gtt parts, such as upper control arms for the front, stock shocks front and rear, steering rack, tie rod ends and reo bars for the front and rear.

cheers troy.:thumbsup:

I would have thought for a time attack build you wouldn't need ANY of those stock parts except the reo and rack

Most definately if you are concerned about engine weight and weight distribution.

Easies and cheapes option is RB

Conversions are very costly in time and money. Unexpected shit always pops up.

Look at a stripped RB motor.... Probably as light as the other options you are looking at anyway

with all the same amount of peripherals on, the LSx is still a lighter motor since it is an all alloy block, rather than the cast iron block of the skyline. also being a V motor means that it is a shorter motor (only 4 cylinders long, instead of 6) so it can be put further back in the engine bay

• 1 month later...

I would have thought for a time attack build you wouldn't need ANY of those stock parts except the reo and rack

Most definately if you are concerned about engine weight and weight distribution.

Easies and cheapes option is RB

Conversions are very costly in time and money. Unexpected shit always pops up.

Look at a stripped RB motor.... Probably as light as the other options you are looking at anyway

I was looking for stock parts so i can get the shell rolling, i have a shopping trolley strapped up front atm :whistling:

as for cheap and easy, the rb would win but i am looking at the weight distribution and low down torque.

and to do a decent rb30/25 would cost more than running a stock ls1 with an after market ecu.

an even chassis balance will help all suspension parts do there job at 100% together with a grunty engine will help with corner exit speeds wich is a big plus in time attack.

not to mention tracion issues.

:cheers:

as it is i will be running the rwd layout so getting the balance as close to 50/50 is important.

p.s if i run an ls? and turbo it later on i will look into rear mount turbos so no intercooler needed.

but turbo's are not high on the priority list yet, a major weight loss diet will be first as will be body strength mods.

i am looking into carbon z-tune type front gaurds, carbon gtr bonnet,carbon rear boot,f/glass rear gtr gaurds,f/glass body kit and maybe f/glass door skins aswell as lexan windows allround.

stripping the sound deadner and attacking things with a hole saw. hoping for an overall weight of 1100-1200 kgs wet. less would be better.

i have a friend( simon the drift knob) here in sa who has a s14 with an ls? his dry weight is 1000kgs!!! with power around 300 killer wasps atw !!!

:domokun:

• 2 weeks later...